partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 11:43:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116384 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Keeping the side up.... but which ???
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Keeping the side up.... but which ???  (Read 2323 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 03:58:39 AM »

Actually, from your account, tango is zombie walking...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 12:24:34 AM »

Actually, when one realizes the straight forwardness of it, tango is a more natural walk than the other dances.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 05:06:11 AM »

Actually, when one realizes the straight forwardness of it, tango is a more natural walk than the other dances.
really?  when does one walk without any leg swing?

perhaps walking for an arthritis sufferer... (excuse irony)

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 11:52:12 AM »

I agree with this.  After my lessons a few weeks ago, Tango is more like walking than any of the other dances.  Using DSV's sister's word, it's "criminal" how complicated some teachers make it. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:54:03 AM by Some guy » Logged
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 11:56:41 AM »

I don't think I understand "leg swing".
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 12:56:14 PM »

I don't think I understand "leg swing".

the thingy you do in waltz and foxtrot...

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 01:05:26 PM »

Well, in Tango, I fall and catch myself on every step, and in Waltz and Foxtrot, I initiate one big fall that takes my body three attempts to catch it.  The way I see it, the illusion of leg swing is an automatic action that Waltz and Foxtrot causes due to the extended nature of the fall.  In Tango, when I fall and catch myself on every step, it's most similar to walking.  Hence the reason it's so easy to stop and change direction in Tango on pretty much any step... just like when walking (DSV, there's your favorite phrase walking into the conversation again!). 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 02:30:24 PM »

Well, in Tango, I fall and catch myself on every step, and in Waltz and Foxtrot, I initiate one big fall that takes my body three attempts to catch it.  The way I see it, the illusion of leg swing is an automatic action that Waltz and Foxtrot causes due to the extended nature of the fall.  In Tango, when I fall and catch myself on every step, it's most similar to walking.  Hence the reason it's so easy to stop and change direction in Tango on pretty much any step... just like when walking (DSV, there's your favorite phrase walking into the conversation again!). 
very nice... can you restate this the 'falling' topic ?  For me it really gets the point accross...

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 03:12:39 AM »

Agreed. And neither is there the rise/lower (not natural to walking) that is found in Fox and Waltz. My partner still cringes every time I say, "Just walk".    Smiley

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »

Agreed. And neither is there the rise/lower (not natural to walking) that is found in Fox and Waltz. My partner still cringes every time I say, "Just walk".    Smiley
Why does she cringe? I still have to remind myself every time something gets overly complicated to "just walk".    Grin
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »

Why does she cringe? I still have to remind myself every time something gets overly complicated to "just walk".    Grin

Well, for some of us, walking is complicated.   Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: