partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 01:26:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Australian Medallist - common dances
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Australian Medallist - common dances  (Read 1580 times)
Lioness
Open Gold

« on: November 26, 2009, 02:12:31 AM »

Quick question: what are the most common silver medallist dances at competitions?

I'm thinking:

Standard: Waltz or Quickstep

NV: Tangoette, Charmaine?

Latin: Samba, Jive

Is this accurate? NV is the one I'm most unsure of.
Also, is there a list of syllabus figures anywhere online for Standard and Latin?

We have to be in silver next year, and as we're the only ones from our studio who have gotten this high, no-one really gives us a straight answer.

Many thanks
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:15:59 AM »

wondering if silver is equivalent to level two.....? I will have to investigate. but level two for modern has waltz and quickstep.  foxtrot is not introduced until level three

I think level two is cha cha cha and jive...?

Level two NV is often wold be Charmaine or Carousel with a swing waltz or possible tangoette combination....

Mummsie might know more

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 03:21:41 AM »

Could be, but I don't think it's quite as difficult. I'm pretty sure Swing Waltz isn't until Gold, and I'm 80% sure the same is true for Foxtrot.
I'm not so sure about latin; I don't know whether Cha Cha is in Silver as well as Bronze. *hopes it is*

If we have to learn foxtrot though, we'd better get a move on soon.
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 06:55:10 AM »

i'm positive you won't get a foxtrot, but would definately get either quickstep or waltz. For NV it varies aat each competition, but generally the prganisers choose from swing waltz, charmaine, tangoette, merrylin, gypsy tap, carousel, tracy leigh waltz. Latin is generally rumbaa, jive or cha cha, though if the organisers are feeling really mean they can throw in a samba. This is just from what i've experienced in Victoria Wink

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 07:13:57 AM »

Oh Gods. Rumba

And Jive

And I'm so glad I wont get a foxtrot.

How soon before each competition are the events announced? Because if it's something really mean like Jive, we'll either have to learn it really quickly or not enter into it.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 07:22:29 AM »

Um...contrary to popular beliefs, I've seen Foxtrot or Tango danced at silver events (FATD) comps! Infact, anything is possible with FATD comps, and I mean ANYTHING!  Roll Eyes Same with Latin, and New Vogue, anything is possible!

Ever seen Evening 3 Step danced in a Level 4 New Vogue event? HA!
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 07:34:08 AM »

Oh dear...

It's not likely to be at Crown though, is it?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 07:49:14 AM »

[one of the wonders of PDO - you can be a fly on the wall Cheesy  What if they ask you to do a Mazurka, huh???]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 08:02:49 AM »

Oh dear...

It's not likely to be at Crown though, is it?

I think they will be announced in the new year end of January perhaps.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »

Hi Lioness,  I am not really sure and I don't take much notice of the medalist competitions.  I would seriously thing about becomming registered and start dancing proper events.   For Level 1, there are normally 2 events for each style.  You will always get a waltz and a quickstep, NV is normally always Merilyn and maybe Tangoette and latin is nearlly always jive and cha. - mummsie
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 11:50:32 PM »

We don't want to become registered yet, as we don't have enough money and we are still in high school. Perhaps when we are in or finished university we'll give it a go.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 12:22:05 AM »

The only extra money you pay at the beginning is the registration fee.  You can use the same costumes for level 1. - mummsie
maccer
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 12:49:38 AM »

And the first year of registration is quite cheap.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »

But then as you move up you pay the dresses and all that

Plus we'd have to get better and more expensive coaches and train more. We're going into year 12 next year, and we wont have time to train more than 1 night a week, for maybe 2 hours. Perhaps not even that.

Hence the uni or after uni. We'd have more free time, and not just be confined to after school times.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 01:53:48 AM »

Plus we'd have to get better and more expensive coaches and train more. We're going into year 12 next year, and we wont have time to train more than 1 night a week, for maybe 2 hours. Perhaps not even that.

Me in my honours year, doing the 50+ hr a week in the lab, plus the 15,000 words of thesis to write, I still manage to dance and compete at a reasonable level. For the entire year, we train once a week on Sunday afternoon for 3 horus, pay $30 a week for dancing. All that, we're dancing Level 2 Standard, Level 4 and Open New Vogue!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: