partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Conversations
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Conversations  (Read 4900 times)
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 10:13:49 PM »

I am sure they would be happy. I follow mine at the moment if he is right or wrong...He is the captain of the ship :-)

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 12:19:45 AM »

and you are the good ship QPO? Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 12:23:44 AM »

I think on that basis we would be the good ship vagabond :-) if he is the captain :-)

and you are the good ship QPO? Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »

I hum along to the music; will exchange minor greetings; but in an ideal world it would all be dangerous liaisons; saying things loud enough so the intendee receives the snipe!

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 06:51:43 AM »

mostly in silence but the occasional word or two to deal with slips or collisions (real or possible).  DP is the silent type....

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 08:38:46 PM »

I don't have a full on conversation with my partner but occasionally will dance with another person F or M in a NV dance and will chat as we are dancing, having said that, the dance can go awry because you chat and miss a change....that is the social part which important in dancing..it keeps it in perspective. IMO Smiley

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 04:10:53 AM »

I don't have a full on conversation with my partner but occasionally will dance with another person F or M in a NV dance and will chat as we are dancing, having said that, the dance can go awry because you chat and miss a change....that is the social part which important in dancing..it keeps it in perspective. IMO Smiley

As in three people dancing at once?
They are fun to watch.
jwlinson
pre-bronze

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »

Depends on who I'm dancing with.  When it's just the partner and I, it will either be total silence, light chatter, or a full-on conversation about whatever.  Depends on where and why we're dancing (and of course what our moods are in relation to the dance or situation, whether we're working on anything at the moment, etc).  With another partner it's total silence, and if it's with anyone at a social dance it'll be anything from light chatter to a full conversation, rarely total silence since that might be considered rude by the other person in that situation.
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »

One time at our studio, a fellow (veteran student of the studio, there long before us, etc.) sat down and struck up a conversation with us about dancing, progress, lessons, etc. Just usual 'shop talk'.

Then he says "Yeah, when I ask a woman to dance, I don't want her trying to yammer at me, teach me, or tell me what I'm doing wrong. We're there to dance, and that's it. Hey- wanna do this cha-cha?"

So when we get out there, he strikes up a conversation about what it feels like I'm not doing right, and I just hold a finger up and go "ZZZT! Shhh... dancing here..."

Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 10:42:20 PM »

There's a lot of conversation going on in the lead/follow interaction.  It's kinda fun to dance with someone at a social and lock them out of their usual mad rush to the next figure.  I quite enjoy being a lead.

You know, if you can talk then you're not really dancing to your full potential.  At a social I dance at the level of my partner so I often have extra brain power available, so I can talk.  In a full on lesson with my pro she can talk and I just burble.  My goal is to be able to laugh and not crash and burn my routine.   Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 04:27:25 AM »

One time at our studio, a fellow (veteran student of the studio, there long before us, etc.) sat down and struck up a conversation with us about dancing, progress, lessons, etc. Just usual 'shop talk'.

Then he says "Yeah, when I ask a woman to dance, I don't want her trying to yammer at me, teach me, or tell me what I'm doing wrong. We're there to dance, and that's it. Hey- wanna do this cha-cha?"

So when we get out there, he strikes up a conversation about what it feels like I'm not doing right, and I just hold a finger up and go "ZZZT! Shhh... dancing here..."

you tell him girl... Cheesy

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 09:41:58 AM »

Our lessons always have a bit of banter...and I think that is good, the coaches gets to know you and your style of learning, they can be cheeky or serious when needed. I enjoy our lessons with the banter. People think that I am not listening but I hear everything and remember what is being asked of me to do.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 04:53:07 AM »

pro talks a lot while teachning - but its funny in QS as he gets totally exhausted cause of the lack of breathing Smiley

dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 05:47:30 AM »

I have such a bad experience recently ... I was social dancing with this much older and harmless looking gentleman.

I never danced with him before we were halfway through the dance and we sort of chat.

Harmless chat at first involving things like where do you work etc etc ....

Then he made this joke that involves the 'p' word, I froze off ....

I really do not appreciate it and was deeply offended.

I mean .... is dirty joke absolutely necessary ? Especially from someone my grandfather's age ?

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 05:58:50 AM »

I have found that a very immediate and direct, "We have only just met; why would you say something like that to me?" usually embarrasses the offender of his/her classless behavior, and solicits an awkward apology.... right after the [quite enjoyable for you] awkward moments of figeting silence.   Wink

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: