partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:09:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116438 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  When the partnership 'effort' is not even
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: When the partnership 'effort' is not even  (Read 3756 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »

If a lady learns the regular routine then there would be a greater change that she might “back lead” the steps.

DSV

thats exactly what I was concerned about.  I mean I do know my partners steps in our regular routines but to have those in mind would make me second guess him every time he had to depart from the routines and circumvent a blocked floor - or if he just had a brilliant idea (yes, he does that on occasion Cheesy). 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »

So, BOT, does it make sense to for a more experienced follower to ask a less experienced leader to form a practice partnership? I am not talking about some super-advanced ppl - honestly, it's not like 3rd lady in the world asking 96th guy, it is more like a lady doing open silver and pre-gold in pro-am asking a guy who only knows bronze. Or improving solo practice (getting new drills, technique exercise and similar) is a more efficient approach?
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »

So, BOT, does it make sense to for a more experienced follower to ask a less experienced leader to form a practice partnership? I am not talking about some super-advanced ppl - honestly, it's not like 3rd lady in the world asking 96th guy, it is more like a lady doing open silver and pre-gold in pro-am asking a guy who only knows bronze. Or improving solo practice (getting new drills, technique exercise and similar) is a more efficient approach?

I think you need to look at your goal before making that decision. Once you know your ultimate goal then you will be better able to make that decision. I don’t know if your ultimate goal is to continue to dance in pro-am or if your goal is to dance amateur. Only you really know that and therefore only you can make that decision.

If you are looking for a partnership then it might be what will help you get to that goal. Both of you will have to be willing to work hard and doing it as a partnership. You will have to be very open minded and might want to use a different approach if you want to be at the same level fast.

Let me show you a little different picture.

Most good dancers use many of the steps in bronze and silver in their routines (even when they are world finalists). They are just danced in a different combination and with a higher quality. It might be good for you to get what is called “open looking syllabus routines”. Many couples in Europe dance this kind of routines so that they look like they are dancing open but they are in fact dancing syllabus routines.
This is just my 2 cents worth but I hope it helps you make that important decision.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2010, 12:16:41 PM »

My goal is to continue my pro-am competing and advance there. I see how having a practice partner with a similar goal could be helpful - I have an example of it in local dance community. A friend of mine and her husband both compete pro-am with their respective teachers, but they practice together and it helps them both. They competed a few times as an am couple, but it's not their main competitive goal. They are more evenly matched, however, because they both do silver.

There was in influx of unpartnered guys in the last coupe of years or so. I know at least a couple of them do same thing I do - they come to the studio or the gym's aerobics room and practice by themselves. So I was considering the possibility of asking one of them to pair up for practice purposes. But before I make that huge mental effort (just approaching a guy I don't know that well with this suggestion is huge to me), I want to know if it is worth the effort given the circumstances (level mismatch being the main issue)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »

My goal is to continue my pro-am competing and advance there. I see how having a practice partner with a similar goal could be helpful - I have an example of it in local dance community. A friend of mine and her husband both compete pro-am with their respective teachers, but they practice together and it helps them both. They competed a few times as an am couple, but it's not their main competitive goal. They are more evenly matched, however, because they both do silver.

There was in influx of unpartnered guys in the last coupe of years or so. I know at least a couple of them do same thing I do - they come to the studio or the gym's aerobics room and practice by themselves. So I was considering the possibility of asking one of them to pair up for practice purposes. But before I make that huge mental effort (just approaching a guy I don't know that well with this suggestion is huge to me), I want to know if it is worth the effort given the circumstances (level mismatch being the main issue)

My 2 cents worth......

I think the first thing you need to do is check with your pro-am teacher and see what he says about the idea of you practicing with somebody. You also need to make sure that you are using the same School of Thought. You could work on the opposite techniques that your teacher wants you to use if you are not of the same School. Say all is a go with your teacher and with the School of Thought. Now you need to find out if the man will agree to be practice partners as the only focus. If all is a go with him then I think it could help your dancing as you get to practice your basic principles and can see the result of your action.

Remember even if he dances bronze, many of the same steps is used in your silver and gold routines. The other thing is that when you break it down to basic, basic principles then the man only goes forward, backward or a combination there off. This is the very basic principles that all steps are build on so no matter what level you dance then you have to do one of those directions. You also have to do your ladies jobs no matter what level the man is dancing at. With all this in mind and if your teacher and the man agrees, I would say you will gain a lot from practicing with a partner and test run your ability to do your jobs. In short I would say go for it.

But before you do or say anything please check with your teacher.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: