partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 12:24:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Video-ing a group-class re-cap: Yes or no? Thoughts?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Video-ing a group-class re-cap: Yes or no? Thoughts?  (Read 830 times)
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« on: November 15, 2009, 04:31:25 AM »

So this elderly fellow who religiously attends our group classes has suddenly started bringing his camcorder to class, and asking if it's okay to videotape recaps. He claims it's because he's senile and CRS, and doesn't do anything with it but watch it later to help him retain what he hasn't learned in class.

He's also a perpetual "single"- he has gone through about five partners that I know of, and nobody likes to dance with him 'regularly' because he fancies himself a "mid-dance-teacher"... asks a lady to dance, drags her out on the floor, and proceeds to try to teach her something. When she doesn't get it, he gets frustrated and pissy, then stalks off the floor.

He can't figure out why he can't keep a partner... but now, he wants to videotape our lessons or at least a re-cap at the end... and he can't imagine why we'd be upset over this, after he's said "for his own use", and he takes the video over to a friend's house, they all sit and watch it, and the two friends are learning our material for free.

The lesson is ten bucks per person. This guy balked at a $3.00 extra for videoing. That's $3 for us to slowly go over what we just did while having to pause and listen to him direct us like he's our, well, director. The lessons are an hour and a half long. They get footwork, timing, technique, etc. for that, and as much individual help as we can give them.

I frankly just don't like being videotaped- who really does?- and this is going to become a nuisance.

Thoughts? Am I wrong for not wanting to do this? First of all, we're getting financially screwed for our time/effort, secondly, if we screw up, it's on tape for all eternity, and it's obvious he lies about sharing his stash. He interrupts the class, pays no attention when we're teaching if he actually *has* drafted a partner into taking with him, because he's trying to put these younguns in their places, and if I have to hear one more time about how Pam Rutherford was "A Big Girl, you know, like [I am]"...I believe I'm going to castrate him.

He means no harm- he's one of those people who're lonely because their never-shut-up-Augustus-McCrae personalities have pushed everyone away from them, so they come to class as a social thing, and he *likes* how well we dance, but geez... he's a butt-rash. With a camcorder.

Is it harmless if he takes video? I mean, if we were Lord Dave or something, there'd be a BIG problem with what he's doing, but really, it's just us, and should I say no, just because he's unfoundedly icky?
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:46:33 AM »

I think that you have every right to say no.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:47:21 AM »

People routinely video private lessons and what they do with those is their own business.  Videos are of less actual than percieved value  because private lessons are about what a particular person needs to do to achieve a step - since we all have different needs a second person looking at the video actually gets rather little out of it.  Even video instruction tapes are marginal - they can show you the step and how to get from A-to-B with the techincal rudiments but they can not show you how to really dance it.  

Group lessons are rather different.  These are best when used for relatively basic aspects of dancing and a video really is like being there.  I rarely see these videotaped because that really is capturing the lesson.  I think it reasonable to forbid taping of hte class.  However, what you could do is at the end allow him to video the steps learned (the end product) but not the teaching itself.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:29:34 PM »

I figured that maybe JUST, as Elise said, taping "the end result" with *maybe* the count, would be okay, but he wants to pull this "Okay, stop- right there, see what you just did? How'd you get to that? And remember later on when you said this? Go over that again"- we've seen his private lesson videotapes with a former private lesson coach, and it's all the guy can do to remain congenial, with his polite "Yeah- slow, slow, quick- okay, gotcha, gimme a minute- quick and quick- okay, hang ON..." to this guy's constant 'direction' in the background.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »

Then just say no.  No one deserves to be abused and its YOU that is doing the favor.

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 05:14:11 AM »

I, too, have allowed a 3-5 minute time slot at the end of "certain"... not all classes for what I call Video Recap. I adamantly will not teach, count, name individual steps etc. I give the name of what I am doing, and dance it. Period.

As a coach, I agree that if you make the offer... you set the rules. If he doesn't like it, politely withdraw the offer.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »

I have never heard of anything so outrageous.   If he wants to videotape, he needs to pay for private lessons AND ask nicely.  No way does a ten dollar fee entitle him to inconvenience everybody else. Sheesh.  Just because he asks doesn't mean the answer should be yes.  What if his fellow-students don't want to be on video?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:18:20 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 11:16:13 PM »

we hear you - and we agree most vehemently.

OF course I would just politely grap his camera and crunch it under my stilleto.
But thats just me... Roll Eyes

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 07:44:10 AM »

People's feeling of entitlement can be mind boggling.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 02:29:03 PM »

People's feeling of entitlement can be mind boggling.
or just plain social ignorance coupled with greed (you need the latter to make you sufficiently blind to maintain the former)

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 04:31:43 AM »

Next thing you know, the guy will be asking to tape the whole class.   Give him an inch.Etc etc and so forth...

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: