partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:30:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  My online personna....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: My online personna....  (Read 3049 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 06:14:53 AM »

lol!

The question is borderline what? *scared to think about it*
don't go there...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »

....on the 'its a multiple life' topic Cheesy

got a few of those...comes with being Borderline.... Tongue Wink
Oh, its really borderlinetangoman?

absoborderlinelutely

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »

Be afraid..... Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »

Very afraid.  Wink

Dona nobis pacem.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »

Very afraid.  Wink

keep going you guys, at the last count I had seven sub-personailities so it should be
very
very
very
very
very
very
afraid   Grin

(hi-ho  Wink )

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »

BOT sort of.  My curse is that  have a very distinctive voice, so, even though I use different usernames on the various forums I frequent, anybody who's taken the time to read my posts will eventually figure out who I am if they care to do so.  I've gotta be me.

AS ee says, my online persona is the inner me.  Not sure that's a good thing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 03:22:06 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »

Maybe thats whats really so attractive about the internet - and forums like this- you can be yourself MORE than you can in most company where you have to worry more about what people will think. 

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »

Dunno. I've belonged to online forums  since they first got really popular -- 12 or 13 years ago?  and I belonged to those stupid email lists before that.   I never have thought about my persona.  I just am what I am and people who read my stuff come up with their own mental picture of what that is.

I've been told that I'm a mensch, that I'm deranged, that I am kind, that I am supportive, that I am "unhappy with [my] life."  what a hoot!  All of those things are probably true, to differing extents on different days. Honestly, I don't much care what people think, as long as, at the end of the day, I have evidence that my net impact on the world has been positive.

I think I'll get myself a custom t-shirt that proclaims that I am deranged. Of all the rotten names I've been called online through the years, I liked that epithet the most.  Grin

The down side,of course, is that some people will take a mental snapshot of you at some point in time and never, ever let that go, despite all evidence that they should. Or they'll draw conclusions about your total self in the absence of big chunks of important information.

I have decided not to care about that either.  I'll fill in the blanks for the people who really matter to me.

Short answer: things we say on the internet create an impression in people's minds that is both more and less accurate than reality,so I don't spend a lot of time worried about it.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »

The down side,of course, is that some people will take a mental snapshot of you at some point in time and never, ever let that go, despite all evidence that they should. Or they'll draw conclusions about your total self in the absence of big chunks of important information.

too true - worse that if someone says something bad about you - or gossip - it can spread like wildfire without you being at all aware.  And just as in day to day life, when it comes to gossip even most friends would rather believe it than actually check with you.  I've lived it and still do.

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »

too true - worse that if someone says something bad about you - or gossip - it can spread like wildfire without you being at all aware.  And just as in day to day life, when it comes to gossip even most friends would rather believe it than actually check with you.  I've lived it and still do.

I can't imagine why anyone would waste their time gossiping about me.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »

We don't.  At least, I don't.   Cool

I do know of cases of gossip though.  There was one in particular where a gentleman I know endured unbelievable tragedy through no fault of his own.   I knew the back story.  But several forum members who did not know the whole story approached me and said terrible terrible things about him behind his back.   They didn't know so,in the absence of facts, they manufactured a false "truth"by which they judged him.

It happens.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »

ohhh yes...

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »

ohhh yes...

I have a friend, who is a terrible gossip, and quite often I tell her she is just stupid. She told me one couple who are dance teachers, were swingers. How would you know? seriously without any evidence except a rumour someone has told you. How would you know? They have subsequently become friends of mine. Whatever they do in their private lives is private and no concern of mine. I wonder what motivates people to be interested in gossiping.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 01:23:41 PM »

Short answer: things we say on the internet create an impression in people's minds that is both more and less accurate than reality,so I don't spend a lot of time worried about it.

Hmm. I went back and re-read this and it doesn't make sense to me.

What I meant to say is that all of us have blind spots and are incapable of seeing 100% of how other people perceive us.  OTOH, nobody else (especially on the internet where information is filtered and anonymity is prized) has a complete picture either.

So there's really not a lot of point in worrying about it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:35:08 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »

I used to fret about it alot.  But then I read this gem on FB:

'Other people's opinions of you are none of your business"

At first I could not understand why - but then gradually I realized that it was totally correct.  If they are wrong its THEIR problem not yours and why would you be honest to someone that does not have your best interests at heart anyway?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: