partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Brutal Honesty in Lessons
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Brutal Honesty in Lessons  (Read 9330 times)
samina
Silver

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 02:14:01 PM »

spontaneous honesty with genuinely no intent to harm, just calling a spade a spade... i enjoy and welcome it. and usually it's quite funny, as least how my own instructor has delivered it.

when tinged with any kind of personal "charge"... ick... better left unsaid until it can be shared cleanly. but i have not experienced that WRT lessons. only good things... however brutal the truths may have been.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 04:25:35 PM »

Sometimes when they point out something they totally hate I respond by saying things like, "I'm so hurt, I've spent hours to get it to look like that and you don't like it.  It will take me years to recover from the emotional trama".  They all no how sarcastic I am of course but this way they make their point and we can have a bit of fun with it too.  I like to be able to laugh at our funky moves as it makes the dancing more fun and alleviates the pressure from all the intense work, expecially when we are in our fifth hour. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »

Have to add that we're the only couple he does this too. He's very gentle with all his other couples.  Roll Eyes

well that must means he wants you to do well.. and he believes he can be honest with you, our coaches are the same.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 08:44:03 AM »

I know a few scientists who are the same.  If they are nice to you - it means they don't take your work seriously - but if they really tear into you thats the best complement you can get.

My supervisor is a bit like that. I've been torn to shredds by her! Yet, when I send her any writing to correct, she ALWAYS get them back to me the next day. With tons of belting of course! The other day she actually used the word "excellent"...and I was like WOW!!!

Dancing wise, OMG, we got the living day light belted out of us today by our coach! He ran a practise class today, and half way through it, he yelled at us infront of all the couples, to go home cause we're dancing like flower, and we've probably taken enough flower from him for the day!  Undecided Then he said to us quietly as we walk off the floor, that he didn't mean we were miles off, not even meters off, we're inches off!  Roll Eyes
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »

I guess I have a rep for being pretty up-front, but in a nice way. Yesterday, a student asked, "How's that?" I said very matter-of-factly, "Yes. That's the idea." He turned to his wife, and said, "When he says that, it means we sucked. Let's do it, again."   Shocked   Cheesy

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 08:37:41 PM »

Given the choice, I want to be yelled at by you TD Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 03:33:17 AM »

as long as every now and then they tell you you are heading in the right direction.. I can cope with it.

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:34 AM »

Too soft spoken for that. Hate yelling. Would probably have no reason to w/ you, anyway.   Wink

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 08:16:41 AM »

Too soft spoken for that. Hate yelling. Would probably have no reason to w/ you, anyway.   Wink

er, exactly....

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »

AS mARY POPPINS WOULD SAY

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 03:53:56 AM »

a spoon full of medicine helps the telling off go down!

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 04:09:12 AM »

BOT please...

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 05:59:40 AM »

BOT please...

never left it, but 3/4 of my post disapparated.

i was going to say i used humour..to make constructive criticism more palatable;  I try to communicate the immediately do-able.

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »

er.  Yes.  Of course.
Roll Eyes

good then we are NOT*

(Not Off Topic)

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »

I generally prefer non-brutal honesty during lessons.  I get enough brutal honesty at work.   Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: