partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 05:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Steps you love
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Steps you love  (Read 2165 times)
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 04:47:31 AM »

I agree - indeed I thought that was the whole point.  But what I'm learning now is that creativity appears to be the domain of just the dancing elite - if lower level dancers do it it is assumed they don't know what they are doing.  Sort of supports ABs doctrine that dancesport isn't dancing Grin 

I'm not sure about the above, its just one opinion that I've heard from someone who should know.  Perhaps one of our judges would comment...

Unfortunately, you are correct. It is one of life's injustices. Of course, there is the rare exception. Was working w/ a couple yesterday on perfecting the whisks in the bolero basic. This post brings to mind the creation of the whisk, which was when, in a comp, the super-famous Alex Moore tippled off balance during a waltz closed change. Had he been 'Alex Smith', I'm sure demerits rather than accolades would have been the order of the day.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 04:57:27 AM »

I am really enjoying the silver bolero syllabus.  There's a step I can't remember the name of (it has one of those typical DVIDA excessively wordy names), but it begins with an open check, and the man leads the lady to execute a spiral turn to his right side.  They do a circular work for QQ, and then the man lunges to his right while leading the lady to execute a ronde which takes her around his right leg and behind him.  She walks behind him for QQ, and when she reaches his left side, he pivots to face her again.  They execute a mirror-image check to the man's left, and then it finishes with a lady doing a reverse spin on S.  Lots of subtleties in the lead for this one; it's a challenge, but very satisfying when done right.

Perhaps, this should be in the Steps to Hate thread. I absolutely love bolero, and many of you know that I consider the learning of it to be one of the essentials to good dancing. However, it is, as you have described, these long, convoluted patterns that ruin the dance. Not to usurp the joy of it for you, I agree that the movements which you describe are beautiful when danced well. I just detest the compounding of same for the sake of making a syllabus. It makes the dance unnecessarily difficult to dance, and often stifles creativity. I was ecstatic when the old "Gold Bolero" was demoted into only bronze/silver.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2009, 10:29:28 PM »

hip twist
open natural
chasse'

I love to do these...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 01:27:23 AM »

anything with a pivot in it; the more the merrier.  Well, up to 8 in a row anyway...
Stretching and arcing during a open promenade in W...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 05:04:04 AM »

my new favourite is the rumba cross, can just about throw it in front of anything Tongue

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 06:17:35 AM »

Natural turn anyone?  Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 08:23:33 AM »

my new favourite is the rumba cross, can just about throw it in front of anything Tongue

Zac
and does your partner think you are throwing petals in her path or brass tacks? Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: