partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 09:59:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Re: why do YOU think?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Re: why do YOU think?  (Read 4488 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »

but it is one  of the founding tenets of Zen Buddhism that thinking is NOT Being. one can be without thinking, and in Zen terms; thinking is an obstacle to being.
This is awesome!  Replace "being" with "dancing" and that's pretty much the subject I've been working on for a few months.  Thinking is my biggest obstacle to doing pretty much anything.  When I stop thinking and start "doing" I realize that I can "do" much more than I ever "thought" possible. "Zen Dancing"... Cool
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:22:59 PM by Some guy » Logged
samina
Silver

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 06:28:22 PM »

but it is one  of the founding tenets of Zen Buddhism that thinking is NOT Being. one can be without thinking, and in Zen terms; thinking is an obstacle to being. Thus there is a prelinguistic condition of being that we experience as infants without any linguistic distinction; then along comes the naming of things and the beginning of language which begins to distance ourselves from experience. ( which is why we need to dance so much)this(language) is linked directly to thinking.
meh... there would be no being and no body without consciousness so... thought must be part of the equation on some level. thought-moves-feeling-moves-consciousness-to-become...which leads to a body that can dance. Smiley
samina
Silver

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 06:30:17 PM »

Thinking is my biggest obstacle to doing pretty much anything.  When I stop thinking and start "doing" I realize that I can "do" much more than I ever "thought" possible. "Zen Dancing"... Cool
lovely. i so relate.

i'm probly more proud (or perhaps "appreciative" is a better word) of my ability to be utterly brainless than anything else i've ever achieved. LOL
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 06:55:51 PM »

It doesn't matter.

Thats it! Grin

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »

thinking why does it have to be so warm already....I worry for the future. Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 04:50:48 AM »

but it is one  of the founding tenets of Zen Buddhism that thinking is NOT Being. one can be without thinking, and in Zen terms; thinking is an obstacle to being.
This is awesome!  Replace "being" with "dancing" and that's pretty much the subject I've been working on for a few months.  Thinking is my biggest obstacle to doing pretty much anything.  When I stop thinking and start "doing" I realize that I can "do" much more than I ever "thought" possible. "Zen Dancing"... Cool

THIS seems to be a growing hypothesis; that dancing shares some of the attributes of meditation since it engages totally the attention of the dancer. and maybe has applications in improving our health.

But Zen teaches goal-lessness so "doing" is antipathetic; it is doing and being at the same time ( as I understand it, theoretically) which is the essence of mindfulness; To be washing the dishes to be washing the dishes to quote Thich Nhat Hanh.(TNH)

Paul Pearson advocates that the Heart is part of our mind; the brain craves stimulus while the heart is easier going and relaxed so I would argue any meditation has to be gentle and kind so our heart is engaged. It is more than stoicism. TNH describes meditation as like a glass of freshly squeezed juice; the aim is to let all the bits settle.

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
samina
Silver

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 03:26:44 PM »

But Zen teaches goal-lessness so "doing" is antipathetic; it is doing and being at the same time ( as I understand it, theoretically) which is the essence of mindfulness; To be washing the dishes to be washing the dishes to quote Thich Nhat Hanh.(TNH)

i understand zen to be about being present to the moment, where there is just "being", whether one is actively engaged in an activity or not. and WRT dance (or any other kind of movement) i find that experience of "presence" to occur when i'm simply sensing through my body, without judgment. "this... now this... now this... now this"

i am definitely partial to movement or being with the breath as my own form of meditation...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 05:46:03 AM »

i understand zen to be about being present to the moment, where there is just "being", whether one is actively engaged in an activity or not. and WRT dance (or any other kind of movement) i find that experience of "presence" to occur when i'm simply sensing through my body, without judgment. "this... now this... now this... now this"

i am definitely partial to movement or being with the breath as my own form of meditation...

you're just way ahead of me

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 06:26:21 AM »

thinking gets my mind off thoughts

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 11:40:11 AM »

THAt's a think-loop; you be careful you'll get thought-feedback; like Jimi Hendrix but unpleasant.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »

THAt's a think-loop; you be careful you'll get thought-feedback; like Jimi Hendrix but unpleasant.
Actually its an oxymindon - an apparent loop

thoughts are intrinsic, they are passive and come to you.  thinking is active - thus by thinking I can occupy my mind so that it does not let thoughts creep in

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »

as William S Burroughs said" Language is A Virus From Outer Space" therfore thinking is the infectious period.

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 12:26:54 AM »

I was always thought that "thought matters" or "what you think matters". One of my teachers does say that brain activity (like running old movies) doesn't equal thinking. He says that most people don’t really think, they just replay old movies and old habits.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 04:40:12 AM »

I was always thought that "thought matters" or "what you think matters". One of my teachers does say that brain activity (like running old movies) doesn't equal thinking. He says that most people don’t really think, they just replay old movies and old habits.

I think this is very much an age related thing: a small child thinks, an old person replays... but thats also a generalization.  Some people think till they die of old age.  How or why is still a big mystery!

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 10:33:37 AM »

i agree about habits; my cbt therapist is trying hard for me to change my thinking patterns

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: