partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 11:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  pro-am in your area
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: pro-am in your area  (Read 1344 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: November 04, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »

[from the comps and lessons topic - mummsie and I were comparing pro-am in australia and NA]

you don't have to pay your pro partner?  Or are there actually no 'formal' partnerships?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:34:10 AM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:28:06 PM »

no its free here.  Usually the pro you are dancing with is your teacher. Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:13:32 AM »

but I take it its just a local affair and there is very little ballyhoo.... 
But what if your teacher has to take a day off teaching in order to partner you?   I mean, whats 'in it for him/her?

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:19:07 PM »

they usually only do it if they are going to the comp anyway.  Most of them are also adjudicators so its not costing them anything.  There is normally only a couple of events - there is usually a pro/adult and pro/masters new vogue, standard and sometimes a latin.  Normally lucky to get more than 2 entries.  mummsie
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »

I take it its not at a very high level then?

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:21:32 PM »

there are no levels in pro am :- )
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »

so I take it no top dancers do it either....
which begs the question: what do women do in Australia if they can't find a partner?

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »

here they dance individuals.  Individual evens are very big here at most comps except for the major ones where they don't have any.  Basically, you find a bloke or another girl to be the lead, you learn a routine and enter a comp.  You don't have to be registered by Dancesport Australia.  These are similar to the social events that Lioness goes in for except she has a partner.  You are judged on your own performance not as a couple.  I have danced with many people as a lead at individual events to help out both kids and adults who don't have a partner as does I think Swing Waltz.

This is the entry form for the next major comp for us here.
http://www.dsq.org.au/images/pdf/greek_club/schedule.pdf
mummsie
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 06:36:12 AM »

Hey, thanks for the form!  I wonder if we should have an archive of these here - a very different feel from the ones we have.  Pro-am here is always separate from the amateur events.  One can compete in single dances (each style separately) or in the multidance events and the latter is usually the 'real' competition because there are so many catagories for the former - divided by many age groups and skill levels.  Can't do it now (got a meeting to go to) but will link to a typical entry form later.

In the multidances you are judged as a couple and at the highest levels its sometimes hard to tell a pro/am couple from a top am or pro one... 

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 09:54:38 AM »

Pro-am here is always separate from the amateur events.  

A lot of NDCA and independent events have both pro-am and amateur couples dancing together, although they are of course judged separately.  My DW and I often compete both pro-am (with our respective instructors) and as an amateur couple, in the same comp.  NDCA comps also have pro events, although these are danced separately.  USA Dance events are, of course, amateur only.  (Although their standard for what constitutes "amateur" has some loose ends.)

One can compete in single dances (each style separately) or in the multidance events and the latter is usually the 'real' competition because there are so many catagories for the former - divided by many age groups and skill levels.  
Same here.

In the multidances you are judged as a couple and at the highest levels its sometimes hard to tell a pro/am couple from a top am or pro one...  
Same here.  

As for compensating the pro: It seems to vary by which part of the country it is.  In the Southeast, by convention there's two parts to it: (1) You enter events through the studio, which takes a cut of the entry fees.  The pro gets a cut of this as his/her compensation for the comp.  (2) The am is expected to cover the pro's expenses.  If two or more ams share a pro, they split the expenses.  This is a good way for syllabus-level dancers to reduce costs for a comp; dancers at different levels can share a pro, and they won't have heat conflicts (assuming the comp organizer is reasonably accommodating of pros with multiple partners).

The pro's cut of the entry fee typically doesn't amount to much.  However, since comps are generally over the weekend, and most pros in this area don't teach much on the weekends, going to the comp isn't really depriving them of income.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: