partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:06:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  balancing money, teaching/learning, dance partnership, practise, friendship..
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: balancing money, teaching/learning, dance partnership, practise, friendship..  (Read 3513 times)
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »

First there is a teacher-student one.  This is easy, pro teaches, student learns.  Well, its easy until the student starts to approach the abilities of the pro and then this can grow cracks...

The reason I left my dear first teacher. I am not saying that I was dancing like him, but he was not able to give information that I needed. After I left him, I grew so much, and when I went back to take his group classes, he was quite surprised to see my dancing improved a lot.

Then there is the business aspect: pro does this as a, whatcha know, profession!  so he/she gets paid - which is great but it sets up a dynamic where the student is both beholden to the pro and also hiring him/her (the client).  A fascinating dynamic that I have not really figured out.
The reason I left my second teacher. He was a quite businessman.

Ah, and we then come to the partnership.  When they compete they have to look like partners - a partnership is in its essence a give and take one (the higher the level the more this is the case).  It can be difficult for the am to comment on the dancing of the  pro - lets face it some things are not going to be perfect and eventually the am will hit on one!  The best pro'am couples look like they love to dance with each other - somehow they manage to put the paid aspect to one side...
This one I have a problem with my current one. Maybe I have to give more time, but it is not easy to overcome. I did not have any problem with my second pro, he was very easy going had a 'don't care' personality. So I enjoyed dancing with him very much, but he was a quite businessman and I did not like it. I like my current teacher, but it is very awkward so far and I can tell he is not comfortable. I don't know what to do, but am thinking about talking to him. 

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 07:49:42 PM »

You seem to have a lot of choice in teachers where you are Smiley

I think we need a new topic on this....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »

Of course, metropolitan area of NY!!!! lol. Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 08:47:47 PM »

ah,  that answers my other question too Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 11:01:41 PM »

yes that is hard. all our friends are dancers and part of that reason is that we always dance on A Saturday night when you might catch up with others. This year we are going to change that. I refuse to go to providers now where it is so crowded and you cant dance properly anyway. and now that they are putting up the price of entry,, you have to question why you do it.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: