partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:18:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  winning dance competitions
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: winning dance competitions  (Read 818 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: November 01, 2009, 09:27:44 AM »

Beyond the obvious (you can dance, your technique is superlative and you are on time) what do you need to win?

One thing that I hear over and over from judges and even more from 'trainee' judges (who are new to it and hence more tuned into figuring out whats necessary) is that judges only look at you for a very short period - they have to with 6-14 couples on the floor they must make quick decisions.

It follows, therefore, that its not just about being able to look good dancing, its also about looking good as much of the time as possible - increasing the chance that the judge will spot you on a high.  I suspect that many of us dance some steps very well and others not so and also think more about pulling off the difficult steps than looking perfect in the easy ones.

I think it also follows that at the higher levels, if everyone is looiking excellent in the simple steps then the more complex ones start to be the discriminating factor - can you keep up that great shape/frame/movement/confidence etc on the 6th spin pivot Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 01:10:14 AM »

One of my coaches said they have about 20 seonds in totla to make a decision and we work really hard on our first dance to make it have the wow factor so they will look again.

another coach says that you must be consistent as they will remember you for that and perhaps take another look...

so consistent is what I think is paramount....

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 02:55:15 AM »

er, consistently good I presume, there is another kind Wink Tongue

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 05:16:38 PM »

also our teacher tells us to make sure the judges get to see your back number.  In a lot of NV dances you don't do much turn so judges don't see some of the back numbers so sometimes they are really scratching to get the full number to call back to the next round.  We always make sure to do a full turn (not obviious) in front of any we see to make sure they see the number at the end of the event.  Grin mummsie
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:02:18 AM »

Today we practised just walking out and getting ready to dance --- this is the very first impression and often a lasting one.
samina
Silver

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »

My own instructor has said numerous times that the winners are visible right when they take the floor.

This past year (although I haven't competed since New Years), I have come to understand more than ever that it isn't about anything one really can "do" so much as a composite of who one "is"... when we inhabit our body differently, with all that we are and all that we feel and experience, all of this translates to what others see, what is expressed, and how one moves. And that is, I am quite sure, what must make the favorable (or not-so-favorable) impressions upon judges who really have such little time to take it in.

Each person has an "energy signature" which carries information to the eyes, brain, and intuition of the judges. So... as we grow in those qualities that create champions above the rest, those qualities become unmistakable in that energy signature.

I think i just saw a thread this morning which Dora started earlier in the year, about winning characteristics. That would be the list to work on from the inside-out, IMO, in order to become the sort of dancer who "wins". An "outside-in" approach is just superficial, in my view.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:38:31 AM by samina » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »

I agree - I think as you become a better dancer you start to exude a confidence that simply can not be fabricated.  Its thats sine-qua-non that champions seem to have when they go on the floor....

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 09:44:21 PM »

yes there has to be a self belief that you are worthy of a win....some people cannot see that they are worthy and take that to the floor, I practice walking onto the floor and feeling like I am a worthy winner Cheesy. do it often and you will believe.

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 07:47:09 AM »

In my opinion it's more of an arrogance than a confidence, for example the man's head position: i am frequently told to look down at people when i dance, i have a confidence about me but the arrogance doesn't show, and without this the confidence does not project. Just my thoughts anyway

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 08:20:04 AM »

I'm not sure about arrogant - maybe thats a bit strong but I know what you mean, its definitely more than confident.  The latter implies 'up to the situation' whereas what you want is on top of, in charge of, best at.  Arrogant sounds over-confident somehow and you certainly do not want to project that.  Perhaps the best term I can think of is to project 'Alpha Male'.  The leadear of the pack - because thats exactly what you have to do Smiley

Interestingly, thats how dance is usually used in movies - both in the west and the east.  The guy who dances best is the 'leader of the pack' - john travolta is the classic.  [Aside: interestingly, thats perhaps not the case in the Fred Astaire movies... ]

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »

Interestingly, thats how dance is usually used in movies - both in the west and the east.  The guy who dances best is the 'leader of the pack' - john travolta is the classic.  [Aside: interestingly, thats perhaps not the case in the Fred Astaire movies... ]

No because he is generally the only male that dances in them, and if there is a chorus line it is often women, anyone noticed that in the movie flying down to Rio the girls on the bi plane have no bras on and their tops are see throu... very risqué for the era  Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: