partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 11:15:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Comps or Lessons
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Comps or Lessons  (Read 1426 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 08:33:33 PM »

yes....so in the end you have to be selective as to which ones you go to....the aussies our tickets for the three days is $420 dollars. as we are dancing on Friday and Saturday, we want to watch the creme de la creme on the Sunday.  Accomodation for four nights...so you can see that it gets pricey.. we have not been to the Aussies before so we will see what we do next year. but I am looking forward to it...

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 08:41:45 PM »

we are not going on Sunday - we have been a couple of times but would rather spend the day shopping :-)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »

This is a good topic,Q.  I know it's been a while.What did you come up with?

I haven't competed in a very long time, so take my comments with a grain of salt.  I think it probably depends on what you're trying to accomplish and on how motivational comps are to you.  That last bit came to mind when sami mentioned every comp having the impact of ten lessons.

I know sami's not around anymore,so I'll just wonder out loud.Is it the comp itself that has the positive effect on our dancing,or is it the mental and physical preparation that leads up to the comp?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »

I think the best analogy is going to university for the 18 hours of contact time you need the equivalent of homework. so Dancing is the same for every lesson you need two to three hours of practice for all this practice you need to do comps. At least one every 8 weeks I would say, you find that the adrenalin of the comp will push you higher than just the practice as you need to up the ante against others.

We have attended four  comps so far this year and have another four to go that we are committed to before the end of august. The next one i a big one so we will see if this effort will pay on in PB on a truly national stage.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 03:46:38 AM »

So there's value in the comp itself?

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: