partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:23:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Comps or Lessons
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Comps or Lessons  (Read 1628 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: November 02, 2009, 12:58:11 AM »

Each time we go to a comp it costs us around $1,000 dollars for airfares, accommodation, entry and food etc.  Just wondered if we spent that money on lessons rather than going to a comp would that be better for our dancing?

On the other hand the experience of the comp and getting out against others is invaluable IMO...

So is the $1,000 better spent on lessons or attending a comp. As our state only has four comps in a year and not many people on the dance floor?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 03:10:21 AM »

I'm not sure the two are comparable - the intent is so different.
We take lessons to make our dancing better.  The real question is why do you want to make your dancing better?  The answer varies i think depending on how good you are.

We take lessons initially to be able to partner dance at all - and the object is mostly social - to dance in the club or go out for fun.  If we get the competition bug we then take lessons for a mixture of reasons - social and competition.  However, there comes a point where learning more has little effect on our social skills since eventually there are very few people that we could dance at that level with - in my case only one (for local reasons).  The object of taking lessons then seems to be almost entirely to compete.   

I enjoy lessons for themselves - solo ones permit me to dance with a pro who is one of the best, and while that is in itself a heady experience I doubt very much that I would spend that much if I did not have competition as a goal.

I think the point I'm trying to make (not doing very well here) is that if you've got to the stage where lessons are really only for competition then you have to establish a ballance between the two.  Obviously, too many lessons and you can not afford to compete, too many competitions and you can not afford lessons!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 02:51:19 AM »

I know the intent is different, but sometimes you have to weigh up the expense....something we will look at reviewing next year....

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:52:55 AM »

It is a tough one... even worse for me jugling AM and PRO-Am - thats two different lesson sets and to very different competition sets.  For the price of one pro-am comp I could do 6 am ones (actually I would if DP would travel more Undecided)

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:23:16 AM »

yes...I am sure....dont have that problem...but will speak with my coach about it.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 03:34:36 AM »

does your coach do pro/am???

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 04:17:05 AM »

no none of them do.... only know one person that has done that and she is a girl  Tongue

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 05:46:40 AM »

I love the experience I get competing, but I can often get almost as much from just watching. Not any of the nervousnes dealing with and stuff like that, but when we watch we can see what the current styling trends are, what our level of competition is like, etc.

I love my private lessons. They are so good, and we learn bucket loads every lesson, even if it's really really hard (frickin' Samba)

I'd maybe go a balance of 60/40. 60% of money spent on lessons, 40% spent on comps. We don't spend a great deal for either, because the competitions are cheap to enter (at least the social ones) and we don't have to worry about pretty costumes.
samina
Silver

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 07:44:25 AM »

thing is, i've observed numerous times -- and my pro has commented on it as well -- that every comp i've gone to has been the equiv of many lessons. i usually say it feels like at least 10. i always reach decisively beyond my prior limits and progress to a new level with each comp. so i don't know if that balances out the cost equation, but it certainly *escalates* things quickly. or at least, for me that has been true.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 09:05:09 AM »

thats so important sam - and there is the issue of what you learn.  First, is competing - no matter what you do in a studio you can not replicate the environment - both positive and negative - of a competition.  It has its unique skill set.  So a comp is a different lesson.  Second - at OSB last year I was so far behind in simply learning my routines that in addition to the learning 'on the floor' pro was teaching me every moment he could off it - practise floors, corridors, before competing - it must have added up to several hours on its own.  

So the point (to rephrase your point) is that doing a competition is an essential lesson in itself for, yes, competing Wink.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 04:40:27 AM »

Yes I had a feeling it would be like that, wanted to hear from those that do compete or have competed....I find being on the comp floor invaluable...it is such a shame that is cost so much Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 09:08:39 AM »

Which begs the question: how much does it cost there?

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 05:34:06 PM »

well cost here depends on travel.   Local comps for instance - last weekend DH paid $60 entry free, I paid $20 as I was a member of the association hosting the competition. The next local competition in 2 weeks time is cost us $33 entry each for allocated seating.  If you pay at the door and sit where you can find a seat is $30.  Melbourne in 6 weeks is costing around $200 (can't remember exact figure) for 2 days entry, plus airfaires, plus accommodation, plus tram fares to and from the comp. - mummsie
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 05:56:30 PM »

Thats pretty comparable to (AM) costs here.  Now multiply that by 10 and you have the cost of an out-of-town pro/am comp Shocked

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 07:07:39 PM »

We do have a couple of pro-am events here but they don't cost anything  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: