partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 01:54:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Finding your inner dance partner
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Finding your inner dance partner  (Read 1127 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: November 01, 2009, 04:30:03 PM »

This is not original - it comes from the now infamous 'quantal shift' topic on DF, one of the regulars there (fraid I don't remember her name) mentioned this. 

If you partner dance and you practise by yourself a lot (I have done) you can actually find an 'inner' partner.  You start to dance as if you are being led.  It really is a right brain thing - doing steps as they come to you but without conscious thought.  I was wondering if anyone else had had the same experience or might try it...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 04:40:56 PM »

hmm. don't know if i'm experiencing the same thing that you are, but i've been very "inner partner-led" since i was a little girl, on many levels, in that i ask to be led to learn and... am led. so it's a natural thing for me at this point. i just slip out of my analytical left-brain and into the zone of my "right" (i tend to use different language, but left vs. right works for the purpose of this forum) and i'm led. it happens all the time, as i said, is a natural mechanism i have used for many purposes.

so, yes... i am very familiar with the concept of "inner dance partner", as i've been on my own all year improving my dancing and general freedom of movement and ability to connect with natural forces... even tho i've been on "hiatus".
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »

thanks for expanding this sam - yes of course, there are inner partners for all sorts of life experiences.  As a scientist it is often assumed that I am logical - and i do have a very strong analytical capability.  however, no amount of analysis will give you a truly inspirational idea - that comes from the mystical part of the mind where logic no doubt hangs out but where it plays only a part in thought...

but have you tried dancing with your inner partner on a dance floor?  It can be sublime ..... maybe thats what tribal dancing is really about...

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:03:49 AM »

I have also experienced this w/ martial arts. What might appear, during practice, as flailing about to invisible assailants to some, can be an innately driven dance to the doer.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:54:30 AM »

How about a broom stick?  Roll Eyes
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 08:27:39 AM »

Are you telling us you have a broom stick stuck up your middle Roll Eyes

Actually, its one way to describe your spine when dancing...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 09:16:59 PM »

Interesting topic... is there something analogous for leading?  I've been known to use various props for partners, but I wouldn't describe that as an "inner partner" -- it's just something to approximate the mechanics of moving with a partner in a particular step.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:32:42 AM »

I think TD mentioned it - can dance in position with an imaginary partner?  It feels a bit idiotic at first but once you get into it its quite amazing how well she follows Cheesy

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »

I do a lot of practice with no partner because of distance. My attitude towards it changed as I mastered the sequences. Where once it was fun it became tedious. I guess I have no left or right brain for dancing. I want to get my legs to do the thinking so I can concentrate on interpreting the music.
Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 12:12:18 AM »

I have an inner dance partner! LOL! But seriously I do just turn off my brain and do whatever seems to go with the music when i practice..... well.. those practices are more of just having fun then actually concentrating, but isn't that the point of it?

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 04:41:53 AM »

but what makes you think you are not learning just because you are not conscious of it?  I suspect you may be learning more when you don't think than when you do...

we need that olde right brain topic back!!

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 02:10:11 AM »

Even though dancing is about a partnership working together, each person needs to be independent and strong on their own. We often dance together apart, that way we do not rely on each other for support.

Particularly for our New Vouge, our standard, we try to use the side connection to be the primary focus rather that the arm connection to provide the connection and that is very difficult. But we always practice our movement and steps separately. You need to know the inner dancer to be able to be a good partner dancer IMO.

Often at social comps here locally, we have sections where the dancer has to do the dance solo, again in the NV style not standard.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 07:35:48 AM »

Being able to dance by yourself is important - but that is not what the topic was originally about Q.  The point was to discover your inner dance partner , as in if you are a leader, a follower and a follower a leader. 

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 07:48:35 PM »

don't you have to do that if you dance by yourself?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »

Perhaps to you - but I can dance alone or I can dance with an inner (virtual) partner.  Its not the swame to me.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: