partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2015, 03:18:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116893 Posts in 1873 Topics by 224 Members
Latest Member: Hobby Dancer
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  syllabus to 'open' routines....
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: syllabus to 'open' routines....  (Read 9190 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2015, 09:30:33 PM »

That's really interesting, I once won a competition dancing complete basics in an open-amateur comp and boy were we surprised when we were announced first ahead of the other 10 or so couples who were seasoned open competitors poised to wiper the floor with us! The favorite to win was devastated as they had been undefeated in my state. Turns out, there were 7 European and 6 American judges. One guess as to which side marked us all first and marked them last.

Yep ... Good dancing is good dancing and that's what the Americans forget to / or are just not all educated enough to pay attention to... Hmmm...

Same here Lips sealed

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Some guy
Silver

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »

Yep ... Good dancing is good dancing and that's what the Americans forget to / or are just not all educated enough to pay attention to... Hmmm...

I honestly wonder what would happen if Peter Eggleton or Benny Tolmeyer were to compete today, if they would even place in a U.S. competition. 
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 05:11:05 PM »

I honestly wonder what would happen if Peter Eggleton or Benny Tolmeyer were to compete today, if they would even place in a U.S. competition. 

Now THAT is a thought... Battle of the Millennium Champions... what a mental image! Shocked
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:41:15 AM by sandralw » Logged
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2015, 03:11:49 AM »

interesting when I watch the old dancing, it is smooth but the hold is much different, lady way more in front. I would like to know what they think of the dancing today. I am finding t=with the right side to right side the ladies arm is becoming so straight that it distorts the right shoulder :-/

Dance Forum
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2015, 11:49:59 PM »

interesting when I watch the old dancing, it is smooth but the hold is much different, lady way more in front. I would like to know what they think of the dancing today. I am finding t=with the right side to right side the ladies arm is becoming so straight that it distorts the right shoulder :-/

You could ask Richard Gleeve or Peter Eggelton next time you cross paths.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33:06 AM »

It also depends upon how educated your judges are.  The more educated they are the less flash necessary. The less educated the more flash and sizzle wil catch their eye thinking you are doing spectacular dancing, even if you're not.  The best thing to do IMO is dance what suits you best, to the best of your ability and let the judges form their own opinion.
Thats so accurate.  And its true in everything, the less deep the knowledge, the more sensitive to superficiality they are.

And yes also on the approach.  The only way to approach any art is to treat it as if the audience (which is all the judges really are) is none of your business.  Do your thing as best you can to your standards and let the chips fall where they may.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 08:44:21 PM »

By the time I was at the highest level I found it was more importiant to please myself than it was the judges. I was tired of doing battle against the US judges who were so  clueless...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 02:10:10 AM »

well we dance for ourselves now as well. It is way too political and most judges look after their own bread and butter. We love it and will try to be better everything we get to the floor but wont do it for the judges anymore.

Dance Forum
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2015, 11:52:21 PM »

Get really good enough and you will get noticed inspire of them all. That is the best!!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2015, 04:58:58 AM »

Get really good enough and you will get noticed inspire of them all. That is the best!!
Yup, you have to get to the point where you can not be ignored. 
But more important you have to get to the point where you are in heaven.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2015, 09:57:48 PM »

Yup, you have to get to the point where you can not be ignored. 
But more important you have to get to the point where you are in heaven.

of course, as I might have said previously it is the mixed messages that confuse you. people come up and say they really enjoyed your dancing and you were clearly the best on the floor. and these comments are unsolicited. and then you dont make a final or are last in the final.....it is very confusing. but yes you have to be really good so they cant ignore you indeed.

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: