partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 05:30:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Band-Aids, Asprins and Splints (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Shoes - Supination - Pronation
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shoes - Supination - Pronation  (Read 2892 times)
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« on: October 30, 2009, 05:36:58 PM »

It's striking that the dance shoe industry has yet to realise the need for different shoes for pronated and supinated feet.

It's been well known in the athletic and tennis shoe industry for 20 years that different shaped feet require different shaped and designed shoes. Most dance injuries in the ankle and foot are the result of wearing the wrong shoes.

http://www.profeet.co.uk/f_questions.asp

http://marathontrainingtips.blogspot.com/2009/04/running-shoes-pronation-and-supination.html

http://www.singingpodiatrist.com/podiatry/supination.shtml

I have broad highly supinated feet, and went through a variety of dance shoes (Bloch's Capezio's) before discovering the solution in sueded Skateboard shoes. It's general in Lindy Hop to suede Skateboard shoes because they have much better cushioning than standard dance shoes.

I recently had a long conversation about this (and this is not an advertisement) with Gabellini shoes (who make shoes for Salsa) who were surprised and unaware that it was such a major issue. It's seems they will be producing a special shoe for Lindy Hop and Supinated feet in the new year as a result of our discussion.

So, if you have supinated feet it looks like there is going to be an alternative other than sueded Skateboard shoes. . . . .
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 08:38:38 PM »

I dont have feet that go out to the side but I have a very high and narrow instep so when wearing court shoes there is often a gap and people thin the shoes are too big...

I struggle to find good fitting closed shoes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 08:49:39 PM »

fwiw, fixing the feet may go a lot further than just finding shoes that work... which no doubt are a boon, of course. but rolfing helped my supinating feet (and the accompanying misalignments that affect the needs, hips, and neck) immensely.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 05:13:34 AM »

Hopefully once one manufacturer starts catering to the obvious need - others will follow on.

It's fairly shocking that this issue  has never be raised in the dance shoe industry when its been widely recognised as a problem in athletic's for decades.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:55:39 AM »

I'm not sure I'd call it shocking. The dance shoe industry (I assume that we're talking about ballroom shoes not ballet shoes for example) is a tiny, tiny niche, compared to the athletic shoe market.   Even if shoe manufacturers would like to offer a broader spectrum of choices, it probably is not cost effective for them.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: