partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 08:12:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Mirrors
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 2329 times)
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 11:12:59 PM »

I always thought - how it looks and how it feels are two different things. The most important thing is how it feels to "balance/connect" with my partner/teacher.

His catch "idea" this past month has been "Are you the illusion or the illusionist?". So what do we need mirrors for?
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »

Mirrors have their uses. I practice things like armstyling in front of the mirror. But I had a bit of a bad habit looking at myself in the mirror at every opportunity when dancing with a person and it took me awhile to break it.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 08:32:35 PM »

yes, mirrors are for shaping and especially in our NV where a lot of what we do is to be a mirror image, we can see if our arms are the same height and look in harmony with each other...

But for other parts of our dancing, if your head is to be to the left well you cant look in the mirrors if it is at the right angle so you dont need one, it is up to the teacher...but I do miss the mirror for our NV. OUr teacher has had to move premises and the new one does not have mirrors. But we find another way to do it.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 08:35:43 PM »

Mirrors have their uses. I practice things like armstyling in front of the mirror. But I had a bit of a bad habit looking at myself in the mirror at every opportunity when dancing with a person and it took me awhile to break it.
You are right it can be a very bad habit but who can resist a peek when you do a pose such as a throwaway oversway - I mean thats what real dancers do right? Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 10:48:46 PM »

You are right it can be a very bad habit but who can resist a peek when you do a pose such as a throwaway oversway - I mean thats what real dancers do right? Cheesy
And then peeking makes you mess up the line, unless the man lined it up so that you can see yourself without trying.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 11:55:08 PM »

yes, mirrors are for shaping and especially in our NV where a lot of what we do is to be a mirror image, we can see if our arms are the same height and look in harmony with each other...

But for other parts of our dancing, if your head is to be to the left well you cant look in the mirrors if it is at the right angle so you dont need one, it is up to the teacher...but I do miss the mirror for our NV. OUr teacher has had to move premises and the new one does not have mirrors. But we find another way to do it.

Um...you can always change your dance alignment so that you just catch a glimpse of the mirror when your head is in the correction position.  Tongue
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »

I love using mirrors, mainly for latin.  My partner and I can see if we are matched or if what we are doing is finished enough.  Years ago, before I got the mirrors I would practice my arm movements up over my head and think they looked really good.  When I got the mirrors I realized my arms were not as extended as I thought and my fingers were not the right way, plus I still had a slight crook at my elbow.

My partner and I check to see that our alignments are as good as we want them to be and so forth.  It really has helped us out, especially in the trick lines, as I call them, in latin.  When doing moves what you think and what is, are usually two different things.  With mirrors you can match the look with the feel instantly.  It's fine if you can afford to take a lot of lessons and have someone stand there and point it out but if you don't the mirrors are like having eyes outside of your head if you know what I mean.  

My instructors will take me to the mirror to watch how they do something and I try to imitate it beside them.  I can see where her hip is higher or how the arms and hands coordinate with the movement.  With the mirror I notice how much more or less I have to do to "mirror" her.

This.  I have found mirrors very useful for things like learning Latin motion, samba bounce and arm styling.  I can't imagine it being anything other than distracting for many things in standard.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »

That's a good point - though its sometimes fun to see yourself whisking by Cheesy  Of course there are mirror exercises in standard too...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 11:17:37 PM »

Quite. Mirrors are good for exercises.  Watching oneself dance full out, not so much.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »

Mirrors are also good for eye makeup I find.  Well, one mirror to be precise ...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 11:41:16 PM »

They must be good for something.  Otherwise, I can hardly imagine dance studios all over the world going to the hassle and expense all this time.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 01:24:37 AM »

mirros are good when your coach is not there, you cant watch yourself doing the whole routine but you can break things down and do bits and pieces.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 05:31:40 AM »

One of my former pros had me break things down and do some mirror work at every lesson.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 10:28:30 PM »

trouble is they are backwards (left to right)!  You need two mirrors at right angles to actually see what you are doing...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 02:42:21 AM »

This is where those that are dyslexic have an advantage.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: