partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 08:30:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116383 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Mirrors
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 2233 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: October 29, 2009, 06:31:54 AM »

I know this has been touched on before...but how important are mirrors.....One of our coaches has had to change venues and now we don't have mirrors. I found them very useful for arm styling and seeing how low or high one is or shaping.....

Do you think you can improve just as much without mirrors? How important are they to your learning?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 06:44:33 AM »

I love mirrors. In our main hall we have mirrors on one side, so whenever we are working on the aesthetics, we face the mirror. In our small private lesson hall, there are two walls with mirrors! I am in heaven. It means we can see front and side at the same time.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 07:28:25 AM »

Mirrors are definitely a mixed blessing.  I find them invaluable for practise solo - but I never see myself (or partner) in a mirror when we dance - you basically have to contort yourself to see and then what you see is yourself contorted... videos are much more effective since you can ignore them while dancing..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:48:32 AM »

yes. when doing standard mirrors are not so improtant...but doing new vouge they can be very useful, but video is also a very good tool, we must use it more often.

Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:48:40 AM »

I used to love mirrors.  I needed them so that I could trust that what I feel is how I looked.  My body awareness used to be quite terrible (and isn't anywhere near perfect yet). 

I use mirrors less now.  Mainly if something feels bad, I use the mirror to confirm that it also looks bad.  This is usually because my partner is still of the school that "it's okay for it to feel bad" but when I prove to her how bad it also looks, then she changes her mind and works on making it feel good (and look good).
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »

I find mirrors can be distracting at times. Sometimes I'm too focused on what I see in the mirror that I'm not finishing my lines till the end or shaping my body as much as I could. But we also do a lot of mirror work to match the height of our arm lines.

Um...hardly use mirror in standard though, cause we're spinning too much.  Cheesy
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 10:00:48 AM »

yes. when doing standard mirrors are not so improtant...but doing new vouge they can be very useful, but video is also a very good tool, we must use it more often.

Videos makes everything look like half of what it really is, so you have to put in 200% into your dancing.
But then again, when you're on the floor competing, judges probably only see you as half of what you are doing, so you also have to put in 200%.

Yea..use videos  Wink
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 03:36:07 PM »

In my teachers studio there was two body length and width mirrors. He trained many, many world class dancers and mirrors were hardly ever used. He said that it could change your whole action if you were trying to look in mirrors as you were dancing. He also said it was for the teacher to look and see if it looked right or wrong. Then the teacher would tell the student when it looked right and the student was to make a note of what that felt like. He said that there are no mirrors on the competition floor so make sure to learn to feel if something is right and not having to relay on seeing to check if something is right. I would sometimes use mirrors when doing drills but never while dancing. I have overheard teachers in England telling students they will charge them double if they are caught looking in the mirror while dancing.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »

I have overheard teachers in England telling students they will charge them double if they are caught looking in the mirror while dancing.

DSV

Haha! But aren't they already TOO expensive?

Well coach told us that everytime we step out of a promenade on a heel, he gets an extra dollar.  Angry
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 08:50:06 PM »

Haha! But aren't they already TOO expensive?

Well, when you are already paying an arm and a leg, then you will do just about anything to make sure you don't have to pay more. So you stop looking in the mirror and the teacher is happy because you are not rubbernecking any longer. If you do have too much money (not that I see that ever being possible with a dancer) then you will not have a problem paying more. Wink

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »

I love using mirrors, mainly for latin.  My partner and I can see if we are matched or if what we are doing is finished enough.  Years ago, before I got the mirrors I would practice my arm movements up over my head and think they looked really good.  When I got the mirrors I realized my arms were not as extended as I thought and my fingers were not the right way, plus I still had a slight crook at my elbow.

My partner and I check to see that our alignments are as good as we want them to be and so forth.  It really has helped us out, especially in the trick lines, as I call them, in latin.  When doing moves what you think and what is, are usually two different things.  With mirrors you can match the look with the feel instantly.  It's fine if you can afford to take a lot of lessons and have someone stand there and point it out but if you don't the mirrors are like having eyes outside of your head if you know what I mean.  

My instructors will take me to the mirror to watch how they do something and I try to imitate it beside them.  I can see where her hip is higher or how the arms and hands coordinate with the movement.  With the mirror I notice how much more or less I have to do to "mirror" her.

I also use a video camera and find big advantages with it too.  When I go back and look at my lessons I can understand the reaons my instructor has pointed something out and how much more I have to shape etc. to achieve what they want.  Of course you have to get over looking at yourself and how you look.  We are all superstars in our minds and the mirror and video camera can enjoy proving how wrong we are.   Grin  The camera can also help you to review and remember things in your lesson that you would have probably forgotten if you had not taped it.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »

I can understand why some instructors might not want their students watching themselves in the mirror. They dont get to teach something twice.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 03:23:38 AM »

In my teachers studio there was two body length and width mirrors. He trained many, many world class dancers and mirrors were hardly ever used. He said that it could change your whole action if you were trying to look in mirrors as you were dancing. He also said it was for the teacher to look and see if it looked right or wrong. Then the teacher would tell the student when it looked right and the student was to make a note of what that felt like. He said that there are no mirrors on the competition floor so make sure to learn to feel if something is right and not having to relay on seeing to check if something is right. I would sometimes use mirrors when doing drills but never while dancing. I have overheard teachers in England telling students they will charge them double if they are caught looking in the mirror while dancing.

DSV

thats exactly how I feel (as above). DP sometimes asks me how something looks in the mirror - unless we are in practise mode I have no idea and no way to look...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 03:24:49 AM »

I can understand why some instructors might not want their students watching themselves in the mirror. They dont get to teach something twice.

Perhaps its a bit different for the lead?  Women are generally in a more extreme body position and its very hard to look in the mirror when your head is inclined and you are facing the ceiling (or floor DSV Wink).

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:02:11 AM »

DSV

I can appreciate that for standard but what about New Vogue.....have you seen this style of dancing. it is about shaping and doing dancing in syncranicity viewing the height if your arms and the way your feet are parallel etc. it beneficial when you view it. IMO...

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: