partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 01:32:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116513 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  On the comp floor - what do you think about?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: On the comp floor - what do you think about?  (Read 5917 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 03:49:58 AM »

I certainly don't think about the steps I have to do. I just think I must smile and look like I am enjoying myself.... Tongue which I believe I have been successful at. Cool

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 04:50:05 AM »

I don't think at all. Except maybe the occasional, "carp, smile". After I come off the floor I couldn't tell you if there were even other competitors on the floor. I just don't notice.

Don't know how DP manages to do it, really.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 06:16:40 AM »

maybe same as you Wink

I have heard that men can get into the same state - that even leading and floorcraft can become automatic.  I suppose its like driving a car..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 11:46:58 PM »

I am sure when you stop thinking you would dance at your best.

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »

I have heard that men can get into the same state - that even leading and floorcraft can become automatic.  I suppose its like driving a car..

That is what you are striving for, in psychology they say that once you have driven a car long enough it becomes an activity that can be done with divided attention, or is an automatic activity. For most people i think, dancing seems to be a controlled activity, meaning that when they dance their full attention is given to technique etc. if you could get this to become an automatic activity, it would allow so much/less to be done, and a sense of calm would be the result

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 05:26:40 AM »

BEEP BEEP!!

Now why did I do that?  Oh, that idiot couple that can not take a step outside their routine...

Maybe we should be equiped wiht car horns!

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »

I am sure when you stop thinking you would dance at your best.

Totally agree - when I started thinking about what I was meant to do in latin last time, it all went very horribly wrong.  Mental note: never think  Grin

Dance like you're going to fall over
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2010, 09:41:35 PM »

yes then you know you have reached the point of comfort with your partnership and dancing.... Cool

Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 11:57:47 PM »

I've had that happen.  Not nearly often enough...  Roll Eyes

When it's really clicking, I think it's like the mental state that great race car drivers can get into.  The way that goes is: Pretty good drivers are "with the car"; they are aware of the cars immediately around them, and they can get through the next corner without wrecking.  Really good drivers are "ahead of the car"; they know what the cars around them are going to be doing in the next several seconds, and they've already planned their line through the next corner.  Great drivers are several laps ahead of the car; they have a complete mental picture of what every car on the track is doing.  They have internalized all of the mental processes of operating and maneuvering the car.  Most of their conscious thinking is strategic; they are thinking about when they will catch and pass other cars, and how much time they can gain in the laps remaining.

Thinking further on this... I think I just figured out what one of my objections is to the emphasis on learning routines for competition.  It's not the routines per se; it's that the emphasis is in the wrong place.  Too many coaches and couples approach it as "do this routine perfectly and you'll win".  Racers know that the car that is capable of running the fastest laps, when alone on the track, is often not the car that wins the race.  That's because learning the fast way around the track is not the objective; it is only a means to an end.  Same with comp routines.   
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 04:20:37 AM »

Thinking further on this... I think I just figured out what one of my objections is to the emphasis on learning routines for competition.  It's not the routines per se; it's that the emphasis is in the wrong place.  Too many coaches and couples approach it as "do this routine perfectly and you'll win".  Racers know that the car that is capable of running the fastest laps, when alone on the track, is often not the car that wins the race.  That's because learning the fast way around the track is not the objective; it is only a means to an end.  Same with comp routines.   

I agree entirely - but the real point of a routine is to permit really good dancers to do very difficult steps AND get reach the effortless, automatic mode.  GREAT dancers (should) no longer need the routine as a prop but can dance just about anything anywhere.  I suspect, however, that many top level dancers never make that final realization.

mbdancer
pre-bronze

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »

With my AM guys, I'm usually thinking "just relax, relax... relax! Ok now smile, judge is looking, smile! I know there are a lot of people out here, just have fun! Oh yeah, smile some more!" Usually by the second or third round the guys feel more warmed up and can really get into their dancing.

"The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »

I too always thing about my smiling....I know that I have to smile and then it become second nature. the comment is from others that are watching is that we are generally the only couple out of the floor that actually looks like we are enjoy ourselves.

but what ever you think, as long as it works for you and help you to achieve the results you are after! Cool

Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 06:19:06 PM »

I don't really think about anything too much, my mind is in a relaxed state which seems very strange when you think about what should really be running through my head on the floor

Zac
I would love to learn how to do this---I get so "hyper aware" that my mind gets frantic.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 06:30:08 AM »

I don't really think about anything too much, my mind is in a relaxed state which seems very strange when you think about what should really be running through my head on the floor

Zac
I would love to learn how to do this---I get so "hyper aware" that my mind gets frantic.

someone tld me you should go onto the cop floor like you have just done your best jive....if you do a really solid warm up before going on the floor, perhaps it might change what you think about?

Dance Forum
Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2010, 12:42:05 AM »

I don't think on the floor .... I mean if we have to change the routine mid-dance and move parts around its ok because we've done it so many times (I can **usually** pick up on what he wants me to do), so my mind shuts off and I just go with the flow and enjoy it ... I sing along with whatever's playing..  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes LOL it's a  VERY bad habit... but I just love dancing and competing so much that once I'm out there, and I know i've done all I can to prepare, I just enjoy it!

I have the opposite problem, I can't stop smiling a lot of the time... I find it very difficult to look serious and dramatic in tango... Tongue But if I pretend DP is someone I reallllly don't like, it usually works out Smiley

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: