partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:46:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  On the comp floor - what do you think about?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: On the comp floor - what do you think about?  (Read 5636 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: October 29, 2009, 05:48:19 AM »

On the peformance topic Cornutt asked the question:

If I may, Elise: I suspect that, based on what you wrote above, you're worrying too much about what the audience thinks of your performance while you're dancing.  Are you conscious of doing this?  What do you think about while you're dancing?

And I thought (not competing at the time) it would make an interesting issue.

What do I think of?  I'm sitting here now struggling trying to answer that question.  The reason, I think , is that I think way too much and about too many things Cheesy  Mostly it really is about what I am doing but all sorts of other thoughts come to mind that vary between comps, how well we are doing and also what I am trying to focus on.  Most comps I have one main dance issue that I am working on and a couple of ancilliary ones - last one was ballance together with an expanded frame. 

However, its the other stuff that can be less constructive.  To be honest, when it is not going well I sometimes wish it would end Undecided - and obviously then I am not dancing my best.  But I don't think I spend a lot of time worrying about the audicence reaction nor about what the judges are thinking.  At best I am into the dance but not TOO into it.  The latter is actually my biggest danger - I can start enjoying it so much that expression becomes more important than technique.  I think thats when we do our worst - which is a bit sad really!

What do others think of??

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »

At some of the comps, "Boy the light is bright!"

Most of the comps, "Don't fall over, don't fall over, don't fall over....."

And if I see a really cute girl sitting in the front row, "What do I have to do to get her attention? In a good way!"  Cheesy
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:59:58 AM »

"Don't run pro into anyone...Don't run pro into anyone"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »

where's BTMs? I'm guessing 'zeno's paradox'... Cheesy

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »

I am not sure I should publicly say what I think about or not think about. Roll Eyes Shocked Tongue Wink Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
drj
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:01:21 AM »

"Boy the light is bright!"

That was the most overwhelming thought when I walked out for my first comp. Boy, the light is bright! After that, I stopped thinking.

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 07:14:13 AM »

I am not sure I should publicly say what I think about or not think about. Roll Eyes Shocked Tongue Wink Grin

OK.  So now you have us interested.... Cheesy

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 07:16:54 AM »

"Boy the light is bright!"

That was the most overwhelming thought when I walked out for my first comp. Boy, the light is bright! After that, I stopped thinking.

Smiley  thats great if you can 'go zen'.  Yesterday I thought a lot less than usual - maybe it was the flu meds! 

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 12:07:27 PM »

Smiley  thats great if you can 'go zen'.  Yesterday I thought a lot less than usual - maybe it was the flu meds! 

Being sick is one way to stop thinking and just doing. Wink Not a way that I would recommend on a regular basis but it does work. Wink Cheesy

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 12:08:25 PM »

heh, been sick this week (still am) and certainly posed a problem on my thinking.  Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 08:52:02 PM »

H1N1?  Join the leper colony...

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »

Breathe - exhale - exhale - exhale

Sit1 Sit! Sit!
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 10:51:32 PM »

When it's going well for me, it's like what athletes describe as "being in the zone".  Everything seems effortless; technique is automatic, and I have the luxury of focusing on anything that I want to focus on.  That might be the feeling of dancing with my partner, or it might be catching the eye of a judge or audience member, or it might be the music, or it might just be how cool dancing is.   Cool  In the zone, posture is tall, strides are long, and floorcraft is never a problem.

When it's not going quite as well, I'll probably be trying to limit my thinking to one particular point of technique or expression that I had previously set as a goal for improvement.

When it's not going well at all, it's the opposite of being in the zone: I have tunnel vision; I can't process all of the sensory inputs I'm getting or control all of the motor functions that need to be controlled.  Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 05:54:09 AM »

When it's going well for me, it's like what athletes describe as "being in the zone".  Everything seems effortless; technique is automatic, and I have the luxury of focusing on anything that I want to focus on.  That might be the feeling of dancing with my partner, or it might be catching the eye of a judge or audience member, or it might be the music, or it might just be how cool dancing is.   Cool  In the zone, posture is tall, strides are long, and floorcraft is never a problem.

When it's not going quite as well, I'll probably be trying to limit my thinking to one particular point of technique or expression that I had previously set as a goal for improvement.

When it's not going well at all, it's the opposite of being in the zone: I have tunnel vision; I can't process all of the sensory inputs I'm getting or control all of the motor functions that need to be controlled.  Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often.

I think you nailed it C ....
may you have the power of the PDOzone Cheesy

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 02:01:42 AM »

I don't really think about anything too much, my mind is in a relaxed state which seems very strange when you think about what should really be running through my head on the floor

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: