partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 11:24:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Argentine Tango (Moderators: captain jep, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Can you be cured of a tango addiction?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Can you be cured of a tango addiction?  (Read 5927 times)
captain jep
Bronze

« on: April 10, 2009, 04:59:30 PM »

Or is resistance futile?  Cheesy

Do not go gently into that good night ...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »

Yes, just learn International Standard   Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 05:47:45 PM »

I love Inter. tango ... the fierceness of it, the anger, passion, expressions, but more from a competitive nature

See if you can find the utube of Victor Fung and Anna at Maryland and see if your description holds - I think they do the most amazing tango but it is an internal not an external passion.  Istn't that rather ATish?

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 06:35:43 PM »

I was THERE for this!!!!!!! Yes they were captivating!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0GM8vz7Tgo

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 06:52:12 AM »

Can you be cured of a tango addiction?

In a word....no. My first post, and I fear that I won't make friends easily here.  Roll Eyes   The Argentine is tango at its purist. Once one really understands it, one never loses the desire. I must disagree w/ the poster who doesn't like the amer, but likes int'l.

The amer tango is a nice dance that has fallen victim to bad teaching. The initial problem is the music...germanic marches that were used to dance tango to, rather than authentic tango music. Dancers developed a style of dancing to the marching beat rather than dancing to the music. There is no t-a, n-g-o in tango dancing. The rhythm is not S-S-Q-Q-S. It is S-S-S-Q-S, and danced more correctly as S-S-S-S. In many ways, the amer tango is very close to AT.

The int'l tango (the one that I learned first and as a child in europe), is fun to dance b/c of the techniques involved, but other than that, it is a very ugly dance. It has always been an ugly dance, and has evolved into a cocaine driven run from one corner to another where we will stop, jerk back and forth, snap our heads front and back as if to see if anyone can see us, when I will then take off like a bat out of hell to the next place where I jerk the partner around some more, and..........................ad nauseum.

Now, I don't mean to criticize those here who like it. Recall that I said that I danced it for many years b/f discovering amer and AT, and that it can be fun to dance....when not danced comp style. OK...running to hide, now.   Shocked

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:29:53 AM »

I was THERE for this!!!!!!! Yes they were captivating!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0GM8vz7Tgo

lucky so-and-so!

But the video is neat cause you can compare their dancing with the other pros - and whereas the others are more like paso doble in their actions V&A are so subtle in their power...

but this should be on the other tango thread!  so back to AT...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 07:32:46 AM »

TD: I agree it CAN be an ugly dance but, it certainly does not have to be - and I'd point you to the same utube video (Victor and Anna at MD) to make my case. 

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »

Yes. I watched it b/f posting. Tango and latin are my forte, and tango in particular...not amer, int'l, AT, but "tango". Have studied them; compared them; danced them; taught them; dissected them for years. I understand why the euro tango is different than the other 2, and I did say that can be fun to dance b/c of the tech involved. And, I dance it, often. But, I stand that compared to the other 2 (and the rest of BR), it is...ok...most of the time, an ugly dance.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »

beauty is in both the eye and the body of the beholder.... to be honest, I would not call it ugly but I don't particularly like to watch AT - I think you have to feel what they are doing to find beauty in it (again just my opinion).

OTOH AT (the little experience I have had) is gorgeous to behold body-wise Smiley  I fully understand how people become addicted to it - and one day I intend to be - but only after my ballroom has run its course....

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »

I dance all 3 styles of Tango...in all different degrees of proficiency and here is my take (and by the way, you should never want a "cure" for a Tango addiction!)
I learned American Tango first.  I loved it; there was power and passion there and I didn't know any other version.
I then dabbled a little and then started learning Argentine.  Now, there was a dance.  It was a completely different dynamic between a man and a woman, and it was the most inclusive dance.  I mean that, I don't particularly love watching AT, but there is a new story, and new relationship to be told and lived every time it is danced. 
Lastly, I learned International.  I don't know that I like the "feel" of the moves as well as I like Argentine, but there is still some raw power there. 

I am not a subtle person; raw passion is something that I am particularly susceptible to, so I don't doubt that Tango was my first love (and you know what they say about your first love). 

I think all 3 styles have their place, but if you want the truth, Argentine is my favorite!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »

I suppose I'm lucky we don't have a poll on here Wink

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »

A poll on an Argentine thread?  I'm thinking Argentine would win!

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:48:30 PM »

I have done two styles now AT and Int STD, I am more comfortable with ballroom style but I really enjoyed our AT, we struggle with the changes in posture, but what I found beneficial was learning to follow better with the AT. Currently with trying to cop in Intl I find we have time constraints, so it will have to wait (AT) till later, but we will go back to it  Smiley

I dance all 3 styles of Tango...in all different degrees of proficiency and here is my take (and by the way, you should never want a "cure" for a Tango addiction!)
I learned American Tango first.  I loved it; there was power and passion there and I didn't know any other version.
I then dabbled a little and then started learning Argentine.  Now, there was a dance.  It was a completely different dynamic between a man and a woman, and it was the most inclusive dance.  I mean that, I don't particularly love watching AT, but there is a new story, and new relationship to be told and lived every time it is danced. 
Lastly, I learned International.  I don't know that I like the "feel" of the moves as well as I like Argentine, but there is still some raw power there. 

I am not a subtle person; raw passion is something that I am particularly susceptible to, so I don't doubt that Tango was my first love (and you know what they say about your first love). 

I think all 3 styles have their place, but if you want the truth, Argentine is my favorite!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 08:52:38 PM »

A poll on an Argentine thread?  I'm thinking Argentine would win!

er, good point.  Perhaps we should have it on the Internationa Tango thread.  There isn't one but I can make it in a jiffy now - and make myself the only mod... hehehe. [power corrupts they say...}

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »

But as long as you don't have absolute power...its all good.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: