partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 10:43:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Performance. Sure you need perfect technique and musicality but...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Performance. Sure you need perfect technique and musicality but...  (Read 3046 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: October 25, 2009, 09:39:07 AM »

I think we need a dedicated topic on this.

It springs from our competition last night.  I thought we danced very well - a top pro told us that our frame was the best on the floor - but we did not do well.  However, but I think my ex pro (just a sweetie who I still have a great relationship with) made the interesting comment that we did not look as if we really wanted to be out there - there was no 'sine qua non' (meaning "without which not"; usually appended to mean "without which it could not be" - a lovely grab bag for 'something missing that makes it special').  Basically we looked bored and boring whereas dancers that were not as proficient as us were being show-men.  I think this is a wakeup call that we need to have lessons on 'floor presence', an area that we really have not developed. 

I suspect that you CAN win with outstanding dancing - perfect technique and execution - but it is way, way more difficult than a combination of excellent (not outstanding) dancing and expression.  Perhaps some people catagorize that as a part of 'musicallity but I think it goes beyond that.  Perhaps an example at the top levels it Funf and Mikhed (wonderful technique) as compared to Arunas and Demidova wonderful (but different) technique combined with showmanship.

Love to hear what others think.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:42:05 AM »

I know prepping for last comp buddy teacher pushed really big on this.  ALong lines of "OK, it's too late for us to really finish all the technique things I want to fix, but we can work on your expression, etc out there".  And watching the videos, definitely lots of things we'd been working on technique wise that did NOT make it onto floor.  But judges, friends, etc, were all clear it was by far best competition I'd had.  Was smiling, making eye contact and conneciton not only with partners but with people in crowd, etc. 

Bit of liquid courage can help on this one too if you're nervous.  Wink
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:10:41 AM »

and thats yet another subject - Does liquid courage help or hindern (er, dance competition Smiley)..

etp777
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:18:13 AM »

I think in the performance aspect (to try to stay at least partly on topic Wink ), it would depend on type of person you are.  If you're normally an introvert, and nervousness would very likely make this even worse, then a drink might help.  If you're normally an extrovert, it's probably less needful
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:26:34 AM »

Well, I'm an extrovert that gets very nervous Smiley  I suppose I might explode.
I find that I think I perform better - but get technically worse Undecided

etp777
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:28:41 AM »

You're an extrovert?  I never noticed.  Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »

You're an extrovert?  I never noticed.  Smiley
QWETUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM<ASDFGHJWQERTYUIO!!@#$%^&*()_!!!!!
so there

Its actually taken some effort to admit.  The reason is that I am also very sensitive and so do not feel like an extrovert inside.  Its a very difficult combination - I'm prone to be very outgoing, expressive and sometimes outrageous but I am also easily hurt, I take what others say very much to heart and I really care about people.

Which is much more than I should put on an open forum - but maybe also a perfect active example of me... Undecided

dancing1
pre-bronze

Sr. Championship

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 06:34:55 PM »

One of the things a coach of mine always made us practice is smiling while dancing.  Just the act of smiling can change your whole body chemistry and help you relax and enjoy your dancing.  If you really need to cheer up before a comp, try skipping - try it! It's just really had to be grumpy while skipping. Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »

what a great idea.  Now how do I trick my partner into skipping .... mmmm...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:05:17 PM »

If I may, Elise: I suspect that, based on what you wrote above, you're worrying too much about what the audience thinks of your performance while you're dancing.  Are you conscious of doing this?  What do you think about while you're dancing?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 03:52:21 AM »

One of the things a coach of mine always made us practice is smiling while dancing.  Just the act of smiling can change your whole body chemistry and help you relax and enjoy your dancing.  If you really need to cheer up before a comp, try skipping - try it! It's just really had to be grumpy while skipping. Grin

This is good advice. when we practice I also do the smile and show enjoyment in practice....you have to believe that you are enjoying the practice as much as the performance.

You have to make the judge want to look at your and if you are serious looking or have no expression then people are not going to want to watch you  Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 05:34:12 AM »

If I may, Elise: I suspect that, based on what you wrote above, you're worrying too much about what the audience thinks of your performance while you're dancing.  Are you conscious of doing this?  What do you think about while you're dancing?

this is a new topic - thanks Cheesy

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »

Apparently we don't tell enough story in our dancing.

There's in no love in where we're suppose to show love. But then again, it's telling us to show everyone that we love eachother while DP's BF is on the floor competing against us.  Roll Eyes Right.......
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 01:55:45 PM »

Yes.  You will have to have DP explain that to him because its essential.  Partnerdance is surely first and formost a stylization of a relationship - its partnershp with a big as well as a small 'p'. Just look at which couples are the most pleasing to watch - they are dancing with each other and emoting to each other.

Wish we could achieve that....

dancing1
pre-bronze

Sr. Championship

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 03:46:27 PM »

When I watch the competitors that really draw my eyes, what they are able to convey is that there isn't anyplace on earth they would rather be than dancing.  So you not only have to be enjoying yourself you have to project that outwardly.  One way I practice that is to put on music I absolutely love, and just let the music do the dancing, not worry about the technique, just dance.  I think you have to practice your performance skills, just like your technical skills.  When you practice only one technical skill, sometimes you lose another quality, but eventually, you incorporate it into your dancing. The same with perfomance skills, I think. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: