partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:22:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Seniors - same comp or separate comp?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Seniors - same comp or separate comp?  (Read 1449 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: October 23, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »

In Canada it is typical to have Senior heats in the same competitions as youth and adult.  However, I've noticed that at many competitions in Europe these are held at separate competitions/.  I was wondering both about the logic and the outcome of this.  Is it sensible?  And do people prefer them to be separate?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 11:46:25 PM »

I was at a seniors only comp on the week-end"Strictly Masters" Some cancers could dance many times as they could dance both Masters 1 & 2..We did do a few but the time of getting back onto the floor between events did not allow you to recover.... but it had about 50 couples not sure if they were happy with that.....

I think there is room for both.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:26:34 AM »

Well if they separate the competition for seniors, shouldn't they do the same for juniors too? And if they do, then eveyrthing will be too separated.

I don't seen any advantages for spearating competitions. Most competitors here run junior, youth, adult, masters I, masters II all in the same day. Long program, but they manage to get everything through in one day.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:00:02 AM »

I love it when they are all there - I would rather they grouped by level than age or dance - else it makes can become tedious watching the same thing over and over...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 04:18:44 AM »

Well if they separate the competition for seniors, shouldn't they do the same for juniors too? And if they do, then eveyrthing will be too separated.

I don't seen any advantages for spearating competitions. Most competitors here run junior, youth, adult, masters I, masters II all in the same day. Long program, but they manage to get everything through in one day.

I agree..it is about all dancing and I enjoy watching the young ones on the floor...

I think that some people don't look favorably on Masters but it is Masters that keep it afloat in some states...

Perhaps they started it many years ago when Masters was less valued.

Not sure why.

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 02:03:27 AM »

I think Europe has seperated cometitions because of the large aamount of competing seniors, which to my knowledge does not seem to be tooo big of a problem anywhere else

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 03:22:23 AM »

Depends on the level really.  The Seniors component is often as big as the adult here - competitions usually seek as many entrants as possible to it makes sense to do both.  Besides, the pro-am heats often only have one or two couples and take far more time but they are also hosted at the same competitions. 

I wonder if its simply a practical issue that competitions run for less time - just for a weekend and then there is not enough time for everything.  Here we have short amateur only comps and them fullscale ones with everyone that go 3-5 days  - and now I had a cat on my computer and cant type arghhh

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 03:59:45 AM »

I think it is about running time....where we are, the numbers are low so there is no need to separate them, but if you have plenty in each section then sometimes it would be worth have separate events.

But I enjoy seeing the young ones dance and I would go and watch them but a lot would not...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:55:42 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 04:35:31 AM »

If you are going to assemble an entire judging team it seems that its more efficient to do as many competitions as possible. 
What worries me about separating out the seniors specifically is the possible attitude that there isreal dancing and then there are old people doing it. Its a bit like the distinction between AM and PRO/AMs...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 09:56:59 PM »

I still think there should always been a mixture, somehow I think the Masters comps started in the 90's perhaps when masters weren't not as valued? I dont know if that is true others dancing at the time would have to be the judge.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:29:26 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 08:29:03 AM »

I think thats still the case.  It depends, I suppose, on the driving force for the comp and also the time available.  If its ex-competitors/studio owners they usually want all age groups - more entries.  If, however, there is a limit to one day some cut has to be made, either at age, style or level.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »

I wish competitions would realize the importance of the adult ( I mean real adults) and mature competitor.  Let's face it, the kids come and go but those adults and mature competitors usually hang around.  The mass majority of the kids that were competitng when I started are gone from not only competitions but dancing.  The mass majority of adult and mature competitors that started when we did are still around, eitherl competing or at least still taking lessons and going to dances.  So, who is the mainstay ane reliable income for competitions and teachers, yep, the adults and mature competitors.  If I were an organizer they would be the market I would be trying to keep happy.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 03:20:46 PM »

Good point. 
Kids do it for fun.  We do it because of an addiction.... Undecided

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 11:44:54 AM »

Hey, some of us kids are addicted too... Wink
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 12:08:54 PM »

I hope I don't offend - but I never thought of you as a kid.... except everyone under 45 is a kid now in some senses Undecided

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: