partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:01:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Is pre-dance stretching necessary?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Is pre-dance stretching necessary?  (Read 11321 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2009, 06:09:53 AM »

thats exactly what I have to do too.  i wonder how common calf tightness is for ballroom dancers?  its got so bad that I can't move in the morning without first stretching them out.... must be something wrong there...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »

I think you need to definitely warm up.. we still always do a slow waltz to warm up and do our balance exercises. 

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2009, 11:18:52 AM »

but I have to stretch before doing even the slowest, least effort waltz
Last night woke up in the night with a pain in the back of my knee - fortunately it was relieved by stretching

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 11:00:08 AM »

Elise, it sounds like you're going through something similar to issues that a friend of mine was having a couple of months ago.  How often do you stretch your achilles tendons?  With all of the dancing you do in heels, it's possible that your achilles tendons are tightening.  (This is actually part of the reason why I mostly wear flat shoes outside of the studio)

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
dancing1
pre-bronze

Sr. Championship

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »

I think the most important thing to distinguish is what kind of stretching you are doing - there are kinds you should do before (dynamic) and kinds you should do after (static) - I do both.  Here's the kind I do before to help warm up - http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dynamic-stretches.html  I first ready about dynamic stretching in a  very technical (dry) text book - but it really works.  I can even do the splits now and I never could before - even as a child.

Flexibly yours,
D1

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2009, 07:51:07 PM »

I think the most important thing to distinguish is what kind of stretching you are doing - there are kinds you should do before (dynamic) and kinds you should do after (static) - I do both.  Here's the kind I do before to help warm up - http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dynamic-stretches.html  I first ready about dynamic stretching in a  very technical (dry) text book - but it really works.  I can even do the splits now and I never could before - even as a child.

Flexibly yours,
D1
A very valuable post D1 - and not one I had thought about before that there might be different types of stretching for before and after excersize. 

Tanithe
pre-bronze

Melbourne, Australia

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2011, 09:16:56 AM »

I tend to only 'stretch' if my muscles are a bit tender from a previous practise or workout; also sometimes if im finding my joints are a bit stiff eg. my hip flexors.  Smiley
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2011, 09:27:22 AM »

I have a training regimen I follow. We do a standard dance slowly then twice to music. We work this way through the 5 standard dances and then do the same for the 5 latin dances. The once or twice through slowly seems to help warm things up and also remind of us the choreography and pieces we're working on.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2011, 07:44:25 AM »

Stretching in my opinion is vital to any dancer! If you don't pre stretch before dancing then you are susceptible to damage to the muscles, but it also elongates them, counteracting the 'crunching' you do as you strengthen a muscle - which we pretty much do everytime we dance. If you don't elongate the muscles again, especially hamstrings and quads you end up with legs that look like they should belong to a kangaroo. Stretching is key to everything.

Also just to add to that, a warm down stretch is also very important as it actually decreases the muscle pain you feel the next day!

Zac
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:54:51 AM by ZPomeroy » Logged

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »

I do a bit of everything. I always start dancing on my own. chaise's across the floor and using ankles and knees to start them moving. I always do hip flexer stretches and inside leg stretches.

Especially with my knee I cannot just step on the floor and dance.

We also then do a bronze level waltz and run though that twice before we start our regular routine.   and starting with the Waltz and then working through our other dances.

Dance Forum
orangepeel
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »

I would not really do stretching in the normal sense of the word. I would shake and loosen my body, then do a little stretching. Then more shaking and relaxing the muscles and then a little more stretching. I would do it, while walking around in a very small quite area. I found it was really important to get the muscles relaxed and flexible rather then “strong”. When the muscles where totally relaxed and flexible they had no problem stretching all that they needed for the dancing full out. 

Dora-Satya Veda

I appreciate this advice. It seems to work for me too. What do you think of doing Yoga to improve my dancing?
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »

ONe of the reasons I have now torn my left achilles tendon (year and a half ago it was the right) is because I don't stretch.  Without stretching you don't lossen up your muscles and tendons and it just takes one going back and overstretching it too far to make it tear.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2012, 07:24:54 AM »

Now that my leg is doing the right thing for me I do not need to strech as much as I did while it was not at full strength. I think loose limbering up is a good thing.  .they say now you should not do streches until you are warm anyway otherwis you can tear a muscle.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »

..they say now you should not do streches until you are warm anyway otherwis you can tear a muscle.
I had not heard that - though it makes sense.  Of course it raises the question what should you do first then? Gentle motion?

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 03:49:11 AM »

Now that my leg is doing the right thing for me I do not need to strech as much as I did while it was not at full strength. I think loose limbering up is a good thing.  .they say now you should not do streches until you are warm anyway otherwis you can tear a muscle.

Yes, you have to work up slow.  I was told to massage the muscles first then stretch. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: