partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 02:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Is pre-dance stretching necessary?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Is pre-dance stretching necessary?  (Read 9772 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 14, 2009, 03:57:56 AM »

I think most serious dancers do some warm up stretching before dancing.  But is this really necessary?  And if so, is it the best way to go about it - for example would it be better to just get on the dance floor and start moving gently and then gradually build up degree and energy?

I have done both and I actually find that the latter works better...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 04:11:45 AM »

I would not really do stretching in the normal sense of the word. I would shake and loosen my body, then do a little stretching. Then more shaking and relaxing the muscles and then a little more stretching. I would do it, while walking around in a very small quite area. I found it was really important to get the muscles relaxed and flexible rather then “strong”. When the muscles where totally relaxed and flexible they had no problem stretching all that they needed for the dancing full out. 

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 04:29:30 AM »

atually my pro says the same thing - he wants flexibility not strength.  OTOH he does not have muscles as old as mine are Smiley  I find I have to both lmber and contract to get into dance shape - my muscles have actually always been like that, its like pumping up a bicycle tire Smiley

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »

I do not stretch at all. I probably should. I am always so tense. ALWAYS!!!!!!!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:21:21 AM »

My partner and I play this shin kicking game before we start dancing as warm up! Not for real though! Lol

LoL Don't ask how it started. But everytime we do it, people in the studio laugh at us, even they've seen it a number of times already.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »

My partner and I play this shin kicking game before we start dancing as warm up! Not for real though! Lol

LoL Don't ask how it started. But everytime we do it, people in the studio laugh at us, even they've seen it a number of times already.

love to see a video of that

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:40:35 PM »

yup, might be marketable -
'Doctors have devised the mutual shin-kick as the most effective pre-dance warm up excersize'

(at least for the rest of hte studio Wink)

malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:03:29 PM »

aaaaa, what is that??  Huh

IMO stretching is important. mostly i will stretch my upper body while i am walking. and my lower part is some yoga things.

because of the previous injury, i have to stretch.  it helps my muscle warm up.

especially on the competitions, i stretched together with my partner. for example - i'll put my leg on his shoulder and he will stand up and lean back.  Grin

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »

Yes, your avatar shows you stretching nicely.  Least I'm guessing its stretching...

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:51:13 PM »

There is a woman , Zena Rommett. She started a system/style for ballet dancers called Floor Barre.
It isn't really stretching in the traditional sense, but more a development of "body awareness and alignment".  She must be in her 80's now. But still teaches once  week at a studio called Steps in NYC.

Since it all  happens on the floor, your spine is always in a perfect balance. The down side for ballroom dancers is a straight ballet leg. I always just think of my muscles getting longer and more connected to my centers.

Videos are available on line--just google Zena Rommett.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:54:04 PM »

interesting - I'll look her up... thanks

malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »

Yes, your avatar shows you stretching nicely.  Least I'm guessing its stretching...

i can tell you that i felt safe. i thought him how to do a dip properly. he said to me the other day that i need to be evil me, because i am not cute when i am sweet. lol   Cool Grin

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 10:16:37 PM »

I absolutely have to warm up.  Otherwise I can't move properly, and I'll injure myself.  The method of warming up doesn't seem to matter as much.  At home, I'll ride the exercise bike, but at the studio I usually either stretch or do cha-cha by myself.   Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »

then I could probably warm up by coming to your studio and watching you  Roll Eyes

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 10:28:21 PM »

On the social floor I generally do some easier dances first to warm up before I practice I do some stretches and then partner and I do a waltz routine low key, just to get the body in position without the aches and pains.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: