partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 07:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Exercises to improve back movement
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Exercises to improve back movement  (Read 3322 times)
pinkstuff
Bronze

« on: October 21, 2009, 08:11:28 AM »

I wasn't sure where to post this so please feel free to move to an appropriate place!

I'm wondering if anyone has any good exercise suggestions for upper back movement?  I tend to be very stiff in my upper back when dancing (and in general, mostly due to my mind working overtime), especially in latin and am trying to loosen.  I have made some progress but was wondering wether anyone has any good exercise suggestions.  At the moment I am just doing lots of basics eg rumba cucharachas/rocks and trying to relax & let my arms just do what ever they want as a result of movement - seems to help but was wondering if there was anything else that I could do?  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dance like you're going to fall over
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 05:58:17 AM »

I am not 100% sure and I think someone one with sports training would give better suggestions. I hear that pilates is very good at using one of those big balls helps to strengthen the back..

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:34:55 PM »

Try to find a gyrotonics studio in your area. Maybe a yoga class? It doesn't have to be a dance--movement is just that movement.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:11:02 AM »

I wasn't sure where to post this so please feel free to move to an appropriate place!

[I looked around and realized we need a special place for this so I made you a new board Wink]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:06:24 AM »

Have you tried thinking about it as isolating/moving your ribcage instead of your back?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 03:17:41 AM »

Have you tried thinking about it as isolating/moving your ribcage instead of your back?
great advice... I'm working on something similar in standard - identifying the 'magic spot' in the middle of my thoracic spine.  Its very much a ribcage and not back thing...

Try to find a gyrotonics studio in your area. Maybe a yoga class? It doesn't have to be a dance--movement is just that movement.
can you explain to us what gyrotronics is skp?

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 03:20:27 AM »

Well, the ribcage is a big part of initiating/creating hip movement in Latin...in terms of the muscles needed, strengthening your abs and obliques will help a lot.

Bob Fosse's choreography has some great examples of isolations, FWIW.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 04:40:07 AM »

Well, the ribcage is a big part of initiating/creating hip movement in Latin...in terms of the muscles needed, strengthening your abs and obliques will help a lot.

Bob Fosse's choreography has some great examples of isolations, FWIW.
Not a latin girl myself (did a bit a while ago) but good back action is often, at least to my eye, what distinguishes the very good from the great.

But can you please explain what/who Bob Fosse's choreo is?

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 06:22:36 AM »

[I looked around and realized we need a special place for this so I made you a new board Wink]

Thank you!  Smiley

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 06:26:14 AM »

Thanks!

Have made some, sort of progress, and essentially my back is really tight.  My new teacher spotted it straight away - think some of it is work related as well.  Anyhow, am practicing isolation of ribcage which is helping somewhat - going to be a long journey!!

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 06:28:08 AM »

Thanks!

Am not sure what gyrotonics is?? Roll Eyes  But going to try pilates/yoga  Smiley

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 11:09:35 PM »

Gyrotonics is similar to pilates in that it has

#1 a tower
#2 a weight and pulley "system"

You should really Google it in your area and find an instructor. The patterns and things that you do help with core strength and rotation of th rib cage and back. When I finish I feel toned, lomg and loose all at the same time.

There is another system called M.E.L.T.--wonderful on the feet and good for "stacking" the body.
samina
Silver

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »

Try to find a gyrotonics studio in your area.

i second that. gyrotonic is wonderful... "yoga for dancers". i have heard that slavik is a big gyro fan, and i would bet that many other top pros are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt9i5IYix5c
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 04:08:58 PM »

Well if Slavik does gyrotonics, will be at the next class (althought doubt he will be local)  Grin

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »

Found a called gyrokinises - based on gyrotonics, but without the "tower".

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: