partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Competition Organizers - our suggestions
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Competition Organizers - our suggestions  (Read 2847 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 01:54:05 AM »

I would really appreciate if the dancesport series website was updated correctly and in timely fashion.
trouble is most of these organisation rely on someonw else to do it on a voluntary basis. Most of them dont have a clue about websites so dont see the importance of keeping it uptodate, the most difficult thing I find is that the ones I am involved in is getting content to keep it updated  Roll Eyes
DSS is <supposedly> a website for a series of competitions, who kinda cross-support each other and the website is meant to promote the whole series, and part of this is keeping track of who did which competitions. There are smaller series, like Global dancesport, for example. So it's not exactly a volunteer non-profit website intended to keep track of all competitors.
I agree - I just think the other form would be much more valuable for pro-Am in the long term.  Real rankings (well, as real as DSI is anyway) would give competitors a reasonable impression of their status in the field. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »

I would really appreciate if the dancesport series website was updated correctly and in timely fashion.
trouble is most of these organisation rely on someonw else to do it on a voluntary basis. Most of them dont have a clue about websites so dont see the importance of keeping it uptodate, the most difficult thing I find is that the ones I am involved in is getting content to keep it updated  Roll Eyes
DSS is <supposedly> a website for a series of competitions, who kinda cross-support each other and the website is meant to promote the whole series, and part of this is keeping track of who did which competitions. There are smaller series, like Global dancesport, for example. So it's not exactly a volunteer non-profit website intended to keep track of all competitors.
I don't care so much about real rankings, I just want to see ALL my results in it, for the dancesport series event in particular. And it shouldn't take that many discrepancy reports on my part to fix the problem.
I agree - I just think the other form would be much more valuable for pro-Am in the long term.  Real rankings (well, as real as DSI is anyway) would give competitors a reasonable impression of their status in the field. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 07:51:39 AM »

Suggestion:

If you want spectators at your competition, in particular ones who are not dancers themselves, try to make it easier for them to understand whats going on.  Here are a few ideas:

1. Add an explanation of the dance styles and competition heats and the method of judging in the program.  Interested spectators could then have somewhere to turn for information.  In particular you need to explain how preliminary heats differ from finals and how they are judged.  The average spectator will not understand why in some heats (theatre arts) there is only one couple on the floor and the judges suddenly decide their legs are tired...

2. Have the announcer occasionally mention why a particular heat is interesting or important.  Spectators may not even know the difference between an amateur and a professional couple or international and american styles.

3. Encourage the spectators to judge for themselves. Indeed, a couple of scoring sheets in the program would allow them to have a go themselves.  This is a fun way to participate and can generate some interesting insights.

4. Provide more background on the judges.  It is important for spectators to respect their authority and this is usually gleaned from experience (in dance or adjudcation or whatever). 

Other things include encouraging them to get up and dance when possible - a competition is 'dance' as well as 'sport': too often the celebration of the former is lost in the execution of the latter.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »

These are some great ideas ee.  If anyone can think of others please let me know as I am trying to collect ideas.  If I get elected onto the Ontario Amateur Dancesport Association I would really like to try and find out what people want and try and implement it.  Of course I would only be one voice on the Executive but perhaps it starts with one voice.  What I would need is people to stand behind me and say yes, we will help change the organization to meet our needs.  Even if you are not from Ontario it appears that we are all basically in the same boat so your ideas are just as important to me as if you lived here.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 11:14:56 PM »

I think the organizers should change the format for senior dancers in latin and standard. In latin they could elimiinate the jive or introduce a more age appropriate dance. In standard the quickstep could go. At the very least , ten less seconds per dance could help bring back a few more competitors.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 02:26:48 AM »

I think the organizers should change the format for senior dancers in latin and standard. In latin they could elimiinate the jive or introduce a more age appropriate dance. In standard the quickstep could go. At the very least , ten less seconds per dance could help bring back a few more competitors.
Interesting - would you do this in all senior catagories or only Sr III or III and II? 

Personally, I'd rather they left them as they are (at least length - the styles is a different issue) - there is already an age discrimination issue and if the dances have to be shorter we get even more of a 'old people' stigma.

With respect to the styles if you change one iit would mean that when you move up in age catagories you would have to learn a new dance from scratch - that might be more of a challenge than one might think...

Thus, I'm more in favor of leaving them as they are - survival is simply a factor in the competition.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 03:53:40 PM »

I know what catsmeow means.  He is thinking that by Sr. 2 Pre-Champ the Jive and Quickstep are no longer mandatory (perhaps they can have two categories, one where these dances are danced and one where they are not, kind of like in Quebec where they have no jive in Pre-Champ).  It sure isn't worth someone having a heart attack or in particular the Latin becoming extinct.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 04:22:10 PM »

I know what catsmeow means.  He is thinking that by Sr. 2 Pre-Champ the Jive and Quickstep are no longer mandatory (perhaps they can have two categories, one where these dances are danced and one where they are not, kind of like in Quebec where they have no jive in Pre-Champ).  It sure isn't worth someone having a heart attack or in particular the Latin becoming extinct.   

Personally, I think its very odd that in Quebec you do four dances in Gold and then only three in the next catagory up, pre-champ.  I suppose its to speed up the return to competing after learning new routines but then they should also offer a two dance event for those couples who want to do all five.

I also don't think Sr II is that old - its 45 and over, hardly a foot in the grave!  Perhaps they could do it for Sr III.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: