partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Competition Organizers - our suggestions
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Competition Organizers - our suggestions  (Read 2585 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: October 19, 2009, 06:22:47 AM »

This has come up a couple of times and I would like to collate the ideas here: 

What would like to see at competitions and what things would you wish they got rid of?  Or maybe you saw one comp with a great idea that you would like to see everywhere.

My first example came up in the 'International' topic where we were discussing changing rooms and DSV commented that co-ed rooms were usual in Europe but not allowed the the US.  At my last comp (Kingston Canada Dancesport) they had three changing rooms: men, women and co-ed.  That means that couples who like to dress each other can do so easily.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:12:39 PM »

I know that around here, co-ed changing rooms would not go over at all, at least not among the ams.  Pros, maybe.  Although I understand the point about helping each other dress -- I've had to help my DW at times (one thing that's good about having a hotel room at the venue).  It's not so much of a problem with guys; usually the things we need help with are detail things after we're already dressed, like cuff links or bow ties.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:41:03 AM »

I have seen this at some competitions and I think it is a great idea.

Little towels next to the water stations! It is great for the competitors to have them there to wipe their hands and faces.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:03:39 AM »

good food choices would be great....as most dont have time to leave the venue.... I am so over chips!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 05:58:58 AM »

Water!!  At one of our local comps there were no water stations and they charge for bottles.  I had a series of heats but did not have any cash in my ball gown ( Tongue ) and had to fight with the water sellers to get a bottle and pay later... grrrr...

Such comps should be boycotted - indeed organiizations should make it obligatory that there are free water stations - its actually dangerous to not provide it.

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:05:56 AM »

That means that couples who like to dress each other can do so easily.

Or undress eachother.  Wink

Yea that's an good idea. More important for junior and juvenille dancers who might need an adult to dress them.

Little towels next to the water stations! It is great for the competitors to have them there to wipe their hands and faces.

Is that hygenic?  Shocked
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 01:33:44 PM »

I'm sure she meant disposables SW. Wink 

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 02:11:16 PM »

Since scrutineering these days is all computerized, I've thought for a while that comps should have a video screen to display results as they are entered.  This would be particularly useful for comps that are large enough to need semis, since they can post callbacks as soon as the scrutineer has entered them.  It would also be nice if the screen could be tied into the music system, and display the title and artist for each piece of music played.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »

Nice ideas - love the openess of seeing the scores as they happen - though it might put some of the dancers off - imaging the scores coming up for the professional standard championships if you are doing junior latin immediately after...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 03:45:45 PM »

They had stacks of towels and next to the towels was a bucket that you could throw the used towels in. As the day went on they would then add more towels and wheel away the buckets with the dirty towels for them to be washed. I would say it is/was more hygienic then using the same towel for hours even days if the competition lasts several days.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 09:24:47 PM »

Kingston did a great job posting the heats and numbers up on a screen so you knew who was on and when.  I love the idea of posting the name of the song.  I have a few times gone up and asked the guy playing the tunes the name of a song.  By the way, I'm still looking for the rumba used in the 2007 World Latin Championships.  Not the "Come As you Are" but the other one.  I think it was used in the semi-finals.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 03:27:11 AM »

They had stacks of towels and next to the towels was a bucket that you could throw the used towels in. As the day went on they would then add more towels and wheel away the buckets with the dirty towels for them to be washed. I would say it is/was more hygienic then using the same towel for hours even days if the competition lasts several days.

Empire ball had exactly this.  It was truly luxurious... in particular when you had two heats back to back Shocked

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 01:06:40 AM »

Water!!  At one of our local comps there were no water stations and they charge for bottles.  I had a series of heats but did not have any cash in my ball gown ( Tongue ) and had to fight with the water sellers to get a bottle and pay later... grrrr...

Such comps should be boycotted - indeed organiizations should make it obligatory that there are free water stations - its actually dangerous to not provide it.

wow that's so terrible, luckily most of the USA comps have water stations, most of the NDCA comps have water stations with plenty of empty cups for competitors, quite good service.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 01:10:06 AM »

Since scrutineering these days is all computerized, I've thought for a while that comps should have a video screen to display results as they are entered.  This would be particularly useful for comps that are large enough to need semis, since they can post callbacks as soon as the scrutineer has entered them.  It would also be nice if the screen could be tied into the music system, and display the title and artist for each piece of music played.

I like this idea, especially the displaying music title, very cool;) I would also like marks to be ready as soon as comps over, so competitors don't have wait for weeks for their marks, we deserve to know our marks immediately.

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 01:12:13 AM »

Plus also appreciate on line registration, online payment, no need to lick the envelop, no need to run to post office purchase mony order, etc. Much easier for both competitor and organizer, much less paper work.

Online registration means some system like O2cm, instantly displaying couples names under their registered heat, so total transparency, no need to guess who else would be in my heat, no need to guess how big my heat, how many rounds it might be, etc.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:14:00 AM by standarddancer » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: