partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 09:05:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Stopping the non-dance dance step?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Stopping the non-dance dance step?  (Read 2556 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »

This is an interesting story about “standing still”

This story goes back to when I was an amateur dancer. My partner and I had two years in a row been in the 96 and wanted to make the 48 at the next British Open. I decided to ask my teacher what the couples that made the 48 did different then what we were doing. He said that the couples in the 48 were good enough to “stand still”. So in the lesson before the British we worked on “standing still”. It worked, we made it to the top 48 in the British Open that year and all we really did different was “standing still”.  Cheesy

DSV

I should add to this story that this was in standard. My partner didn’t do a lot of standard. We had one lesson and practiced 2 hours of standard a month. After making the 48 in standard, I asked our teacher why we made the 48. He smiled and said “you stood still”. I then got a little cocky and asked why he hadn’t taught us that a long time ago so we could have save the other 11 lesson out of the 12 lessons we had had since last year. He smiled and then told me that if he had done that then he wouldn’t be able to take lessons himself to learn what to teach us.

All in good time.  Wink

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 09:55:46 PM »

wish I had known your teacher Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 09:59:08 PM »

Maybe you do know of him or have at least seen him. Cheesy

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 10:23:03 PM »

All I really know is that I have 'heard' his words.  Now I have to learn to listen....

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »

I mean can you use a 'stop' to make your dancing more elegant and controlled looking? 

Looking elegant is kind of difficult when you're face down on the floor.   Cheesy  Seriously, you've actually given me something to think about.  We all know a few things we can do in place, such as balance steps, but generally we only use them for floorcraft.  Actually incorporating something like that as part of a routine is, truthfully, something I had not thought of.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 02:24:13 PM »

Looking elegant is kind of difficult when you're face down on the floor.   Cheesy 

I guess that would be one of the ultimate tests for the showman Cheesy

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »

Looking elegant is kind of difficult when you're face down on the floor.   Cheesy  Seriously, you've actually given me something to think about.  We all know a few things we can do in place, such as balance steps, but generally we only use them for floorcraft.  Actually incorporating something like that as part of a routine is, truthfully, something I had not thought of.

Interesting. I use this technique, and others (syncopations, cross phrasing, etc) constantly... drives my partner nuts (she tends to be a counter, but she's learning).

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 02:30:58 AM »

I'm beginning to live for those still moments more than the movements.  Steps are in essence getting from here to there, but when you get there you DO something Smiley  One of the most wonderful 'steps' in ballroom for me is the pause and stretch when you go into PP during, say, an impetus.

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »

sounds great ee Cheesy

Edward Teller
drj
Bronze

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 05:26:12 PM »

Stillness and motion: how to fill up the stop, the pause, the waiting for the next moment. The hardest thing I did at my first competition was in tango, waiting for my pro's next move. And waiting. And waiting. He did it on purpose; every eye in the room was on us. Stillness is a great tool.

ancora imparo
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 10:18:09 PM »

Yes, we (ladies) wait for decades, centuries and sometimes even for millennia for our partner to do the next step. Wink Cheesy It did take some time to get used to but the lady can learn to enjoy the time spend then the dancing greatly improves. Tongue Grin

DSV

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »

If you "just" stop, it looks very beginner. If you "stop and grow", it adds new dimension to the action of inaction with different action.

Are you my dance coach?

He said exactly the same thing, word by word.  Shocked
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 06:59:19 AM »

Yes, we (ladies) wait for decades, centuries and sometimes even for millennia for our partner to do the next step. Wink Cheesy It did take some time to get used to but the lady can learn to enjoy the time spent then the dancing greatly improves. Tongue Grin

DSV

Oh how much there is in that bolded bit Smiley  Its the vapour trail  from the previous movement and the foreshaddowing of the next....

drj
Bronze

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 07:02:39 PM »

Its the vapour trail  from the previous movement and the foreshadowing of the next....

niiiiiiiiiice image...

how I love the lingering. It's almost as if everything else gets in the way, and is just what I have to do to get to the next moment of linger.

ancora imparo
samina
Silver

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 07:07:57 PM »

Ah! One of my fav topics... the movement within the stillness.

mine as well. you've definitely caught my attention, TD... Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: