partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 03:37:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Crummy floors
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Crummy floors  (Read 3069 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 04:06:01 AM »

we danced on one  Saturday night that had dips...you would dance over it and fee the floor move and then you go over another and can feel the dip in the floor Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 03:36:33 AM »

we danced on one  Saturday night that had dips...you would dance over it and fee the floor move and then you go over another and can feel the dip in the floor Roll Eyes
well, think of it as preparation for dancing on the cruise ship... Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 04:23:49 AM »

well, think of it as preparation for dancing on the cruise ship... Smiley

well that will never happen, I wont go on one. I suffer sea sickness,and it is not a holiday to remember. Embarrassed

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 04:38:54 AM »

well then think of it as a replacement - just get yourself some umbrella drinks to get the whole experience... Cheesy

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 05:16:23 AM »

well then think of it as a replacement - just get yourself some umbrella drinks to get the whole experience... Cheesy

that will have to do.....

Dance Forum
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 09:13:02 AM »

Captain Johns Seafood restaurant. It's a boat (ship?) moored at the Toronto harbourfront. The 'dancefloor' is curved in both axes. AND it's sloping front to back. AND it's uneven. One corner dips away absurdly so.
One spin towards the lowest point is like falling over. One spin FROM the lowest point is like running uphill wearing lead boots. Thank good ness I don't have to spin (unless I am rarely following).

Also, the floor at one of the local schools. We (plus wifey) did a demo there, two sets on one occasion (theme was world cultures - partner dnacing fitted in really well). Two feet back from the edge (4ft drop) the floor was heavily splintered. No warm up, no practice, no familiarisation. We walk on and the music starts and we perform - all freestyle, 11 dances in 8 minutes (1.5 second between songs, 9 Int (no PD), plus salsa/merengue).

Also the floor at the Polish community centre (?) in London Ontario. The slickest floor I have ever had the opportunity to try to break my ankle on (and I've been on many). I don't dance there anymore. Twice was enough, and the second time was just confirmation.

Graham
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »

I had no idea that that rusting barge in the harbour harboured a dance floor! 
Sounds like you  get the whole 'dancing in a sou'wester' experience...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 09:04:12 AM »

No really hideous dance floors here, unless you count the ones that have sticky beer splotches.

Biggest complaint is the postage stamp sized floors.  Barely big enough for a box step.*sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »

The funniest one I experienced was at a comp which was held at the same hotel each year.  The hotel owners were so pleased with their annual client that one year they decided to suprise the event by - - - revarnishing the floor, wiht polyeurethane!  It was so sticky it was like walking with ice spikes on soft snow.  Almost impossible to move, let alone dance!

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 12:11:58 AM »

we have had a council build a brand new facility and put in a sprung floor...they laid the timber planks so close together that they are curling up on the edges. I heard recently it is not yet a year old and they are have to sand and reseal the floor. bad workmanship, hope there was a warranty.

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 12:13:06 AM »

The funniest one I experienced was at a comp which was held at the same hotel each year.  The hotel owners were so pleased with their annual client that one year they decided to surprise the event by - - - re varnishing the floor, wiht polyeurethane!  It was so sticky it was like walking with ice spikes on soft snow.  Almost impossible to move, let alone dance!

We had  venue do something similar,, put down a finish that made the slow very slow...., but it is wearing in now and not as sticky just as well it has had some dance traffic on it.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 03:19:35 AM »

I think we were lucky noone broke an ankle...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 08:25:54 AM »

Yep.  You'd think that people would have consulted actual dancers, before installing something as expensive as a floor.

People who don't dance often have no idea of what a dance floor is supposed to do.*sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »

Yep.  You'd think that people would have consulted actual dancers, before installing something as expensive as a floor.

People who don't dance often have no idea of what a dance floor is supposed to do.*sigh*
not an installation - just a varnishing.  What do they say?  The worst things are done with the best of intentions.... This would be a good example Roll Eyes

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 09:08:01 AM »

its not just floors, there was a cycling veldrome that they resurface and put a coating over the bitumen and it was rubberised and you could not do race on it any more :-/ would have cost too much money to redo it so no more cycling :-/ oops accident they say I think not!

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: