partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:16:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Crummy floors
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Crummy floors  (Read 3603 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: October 13, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »

Tell about some of the bad floors that you've run into over the course of your social dancing.  There was a group here that used to occasionally hold citywide socials at the civic center.  The part of the center they used consisted of two convention-hall areas that were separated by a movable divider; for larger ones, they removed the dividers and used both halves. 

Problem #1: the floors were concrete.  Problem #2: the concrete was spalling in places.  Problem #3: for some reason, the two halves were built with a slight elevation difference.  They had patched over the transition, but there was still a definite "uphill" and "downhill" step when you got to that area. 

But the worst "floor" I've ever danced on, or tried to, was when a friend and myself tried to do a demonstration at a private party.  We had to do a bolero in the concrete driveway.   Roll Eyes  The concrete was very coarse, and doing the proper sliding action was just flat-out impossible.  Plus, it was sloped.   Roll Eyes  Weirdest bolero I've ever done.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:29:28 PM »

worst floor?  not social I'm afraid but one of those sectional floors for a competition in a hotel.  Each panel (ydXyd square) was encased in a metal shell that extended above the wood surface by about 1/8th inch.  The first thing it did was to strip your heel protectors off and the second your heel tips.
  The only way to dance on it was to do a sort of hip-hop action trying to step over all the little walls........

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:45:27 PM »

I was thinking or the exact same comp ee.  The heel guards then the heel tips for me too.  I had half a heel left on the one shoe and down to the nail on the other.  I sounded like Captain Hook walking down the gang plank.  All I needed was the parrot.  The sound and thought of it kept me on the verge of breaking out in laughter the whole round, especially in the tango.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:56:59 PM »

Yes, but I also had dark thoughts of impaling a judge's foot for some sort of retribution (the organizer sat at a safe distance on the podium.. Undecided )

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:13:19 PM »

Yeah, I think it was the beginning of the end for this comp for me.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 02:38:43 PM »

A temporary 'tile' floor set on a plywood/astroturf stage/parade float at a county fair. It was 14 x 14, and the woman bragged "We dun speeyint Thirtayn thausuhn dawlurz awn this heyer flawur"

We didn't go back. It wasn't worth two hundred bucks. A trip to the ER for a twisted ankle, concussion, or road rash would have been more than two hundred bucks. And I do *not* dance within ten feet of straw and pumpkins.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 05:18:31 PM »

The floor at Glasgow University Union is pretty impressively grooty. The floor in the floating nightclub in Leith was probablly the worst, there was this sort 'sub beat' to the Salsa, a constant 'slick' 'slick' 'slick' as your feet came unstuck from the layer of beer, cigarette ash and congealed vomit.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 10:49:51 PM »

oh gee, and I was just salubriating in the afterglow of the meal I had tonight Undecided

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 06:55:28 AM »

There is/was a floor in a  Ludlow hall which had a four inch dip and if you were good you could slide down down it; it was obviously an historic building which had subsided in one part and not in another later addition. I think they are re-doing the floor at present..

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 07:00:35 AM »

The floor at Joe Jenkin's original studio was made of parquet, mostly in a rectangle but one end bent at 30%, and to make it worse the roof had leaked so in one corner of the bend the parquet bits were piled up in a heap.  So the class would do drills by starting one end towards the bent end.  When they got there they never did drills back but walked back to the starting point to do the next one.

This was so engrained that when he finally got a new studio this behaviour remained.  Starting one side and walking back to do the next drill.  I always wondered what new students would think about the odd walking behaviour.

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »

Let's Hope the floor at the Niagara comp is better.  Must remember to take extra heel covers to be safe.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »

OMGoodness yes.  I had forgotten.  Its the heel beheader...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 10:59:55 PM »

I've been to a few dances at a club where they wax the heck out of the floor.  Every few dances you have to stop and scrape the wax off of your shoes.   Tongue
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »

yes well most of ours a slippery as....but I think I have solved that one...testing it out now and will share when I have proof  Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »

I've been to a few dances at a club where they wax the heck out of the floor.  Every few dances you have to stop and scrape the wax off of your shoes.   Tongue
they used to use a wax-shaver to sprinkle the floor with wax - perhaps they are still doing that there?  Once you've started with that on a floor you have to keep doing it or resurface....

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: