partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 03:51:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  On the foot; Between the feet ??
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: On the foot; Between the feet ??  (Read 840 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: October 11, 2009, 06:56:17 AM »

This came up in the ballet and ballroom topic.  DSV wrote:

"Fencing is very good. Especially for the lady as she will learn to stay between feet. She will thereby learn to be ready to go anywhere at any time.......like when she is responding to the man's choices of directions, timing, steps and power."

And Tangodancer concurred.

But it raises the question of what exactly does this mean?  And is this likely to confuse people?  Not to mention what about the man - is he 'on the foot' while the lady is between them?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »

To me between the feet does not mean "dead center", it means the weight is split between--70/30, 90/10 85/15.
I think this allows the lady to react. Think of a tennis player waiting to receive a serve---frequently moving, swaying, shifting between the feet and the GO!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:52:02 AM »

But which steps.  Doesn't this only apply to the last step of a particular step sequence?  If you are between your feet you will look awful in, say, step 3 of a waltz natural.  My impression is that the only dance where it applies to all steps would be Tango...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 04:29:51 AM »

Yes I read the post and wondered myself when this would apply, as in fencing one foot is always behind the other and at different angles, with the object making the body as small as possible...

I would appreciate clarification.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:29:44 AM »

But which steps.  Doesn't this only apply to the last step of a particular step sequence?  If you are between your feet you will look awful in, say, step 3 of a waltz natural. 

Maybe it's more like what Skipper said.  In the little bit of following I've done, I've noticed that it is possible to over-commit at certain points, and then be surprised by the next thing.  (As a follow, I'm caught off guard rather frequently.  Roll Eyes )  It seems to me that there are two cases.  There are places where the momentum is obviously going in a certain direction, and places where it isn't.  In the case where there is no obvious momentum, that's where the follow has to hold something in reserve, because those places are inflection points (if you want to think of it in mathematical terms) where the lead may change things.  However, in the case where there is momentum, the follow can expect that both partners will continue to follow the dance, so to speak.  In this case, if the lead wishes to do something different, he must send a positive message to the follow that the momentum is going to be shifted, and this message has to be sent before the follow has committed to the existing momentum.  Oversway is an example that comes to mind.

Also, I think that all of the above only applies to standard/smooth.  In Latin, there really isn't any prevailing momentum, and the steps are such that the partnership should be able to move in any direction at any time, more or less.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 03:57:42 AM »

But which steps.  Doesn't this only apply to the last step of a particular step sequence?  If you are between your feet you will look awful in, say, step 3 of a waltz natural.  My impression is that the only dance where it applies to all steps would be Tango...

You are partially correct. It does apply to all steps in tango, but holds true for standard/smooth as well. I'll explain below.

There are places where the momentum is obviously going in a certain direction, and places where it isn't. 

However, in the case where there is momentum, the follow can expect that both partners will continue to follow the dance, so to speak. 

Also, I think that all of the above only applies to standard/smooth.  In Latin, there really isn't any prevailing momentum, ....

This, too, is partially correct. Dancing in the middle does not intend to mean, as someone said, a 50/50 split on each step (though this is what you want in tango). dancing in the middle is intended to mean that we should take the body with us when we dance. do not lead from the stomach with the foot stuck out afromt; do not lead from the chest with the tush stuck out aback; yet, move all the body at once so that the center remains centered throughout the movement. It is only 'at' the 50/50 mark, does the lead take the lady off of center to continue a movement. Re Cornutt's post, yes, this intention might have come very early (say the swing of step 1 of a waltz), but the momentum of same will have no bearing on the body's continued motion until after it passes its center. Incidentally, this is applicable to both lead and follow.

Re latin, there is definitely prevailing momentum; only, in a different manner. The momentum is directly realted to the downward action of the hip before the step, and the effecting push from the weighted foot as a result. Again, the body should not try to dance onto the receiveing foot, rather only to the point where both legs are straightened... the middle, or 50/50 point. One, then, will relax the receiving hip/side in preparation for the movement to continue by repeating itself.

Learning to dance in the center of the steps will improve one's dancing 100 fold. Among other things including impecable balance, one will be able to acheive better height, better timing, and the elusive movement within the stillness at the apex of the mid point.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:24:59 AM »

This is fantastic TD and will take a lot of thinking.  Thanks...

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:27:08 PM »

My pleasure, but it takes less thinking than feeling.  Smiley

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »

hear, think, feel, know, forget.... progressively higher levels or consciousness Wink

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: