partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Floorcraft on the social floor
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Floorcraft on the social floor  (Read 6526 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 09:01:26 AM »

Being able to NOT have an accident/incedent is just as much a part of being a good dancer as learning the dances well.

Judges often penalize dancers who colide carelessly.  But the trouble is for us that the large dancers are too often assumed to be at fault.  We had only one significant collision at our last competition - a short couple turned the corner facing backwards and ran straignt into us where we were standing after a turn - we were not moving - and they even fell on the floor, a mess of arms and legs (but did not hurt themselves thankfully).  After they apologized and said that their routine was crazy having to go backward with both of them facing the wrong way.

I talked to one of the judges (who is a regular at our comps) after the comp and she told me that my partner was too agressive on the floor.  Its true that at one time (2 yrs ago) he was but he has become very good at floor craft and avoiding hits since.  Since that was our only significant incident it seems she assumed it was our fault - and I think that size is a major factor.

DP asked what happens if we bump into someone on the comp floor, and I told her that there's someone hiding on the podium waiting to shoot anyone who bumps into people on the floor. I think she's a bit scared now.  Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 03:03:40 PM »

Well, as long as they did not blame you....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 07:23:40 PM »

Not sure if you're talking to SW or me, but I'm pretty sure they blamed us. We're the more experienced couple, therefore we should be able to avoid a random couple crashing into us from our blind spot.

Hey, does anyone have a spontaneous TARDIS?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »

I know some of your social dancers, it is all about them.... Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »

Not sure if you're talking to SW or me, but I'm pretty sure they blamed us. We're the more experienced couple, therefore we should be able to avoid a random couple crashing into us from our blind spot.

Hey, does anyone have a spontaneous TARDIS?

With fame comes heady responsibility.  Be kind to the little people...

Tongue Wink

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08:14 PM »

...and the tall people too.   Grin

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 06:14:53 AM »

was looking for a lawn mower but  this was the closet things I could find

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 06:45:13 AM »

They'll be swept away by our floorcraft skills...

Or something. The wonderful dodging skills they've helped us hone
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 08:14:32 AM »

well then you will be prepared for the crown as I believe they can get nasty  for that sort of stuff.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »

One thing DP does is to shorten his stride markedly - this is amazing practise since it means I have to feel the lead in a new context.  Very useful for competition dancing too in restricted spaces...

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 08:40:04 AM »

DP is very good at watching the floor. I'll see something over his shoulder, squeeze to warn him about it, and he'll just say "I already know". Must be eyes in the back of his head.

As a result, collisions are rare, unless someone starts dancing against LOD, just randomly. I figure people in our division should know better by now, so we should be fine.
NZ_Guy
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2011, 11:54:26 PM »

One or two couples insist on practising their competitive routines on the social floor with seemingly little regard for floorcraft. One couple in particular seems to be really keen on throwaway oversways, regardless of the traffic around them.

-T.

Hanging out on the friendlier dance forum.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2011, 03:28:25 AM »

One or two couples insist on practising their competitive routines on the social floor with seemingly little regard for floorcraft. One couple in particular seems to be really keen on throwaway oversways, regardless of the traffic around them.

Well, take heart that they would (should) be quickly dinged on the competition floor.  Not paying regard to your fellow dancers is food for disqualification. 

To their defence (if there is any), they are probably working on the TAOs in their lessons and, as I am sure you are aware, it takes umpteen repetitions to get them correct.  Also poses such may be a nuicance but they are certainly less hazardous than QS scatter chasses on a crowded floor.  The problem is not that you are going to run into anyone (competition dancers should be at a level where the will not) but that the innocent social dancer does not know that.  And yes, I have seen the whites of their eyes (and a couple that actually ran away).  So mea culpa... (although we are much better now..)

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2011, 07:13:03 AM »

well there has to be allowances....we often do our routines but having said that if th floor is really crowded we wont go on the floor. If we do we only do a bronze level routine. Focusing on our shaping.

I have found that the comp dancers here tend to be far more accomodating thatn some of the soical dancers who get a bit miffed! Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »

I have found that the comp dancers here tend to be far more accomodating thatn some of the soical dancers who get a bit miffed! Roll Eyes

Yeah...you guys are much nicer about us accidentally cutting you off/running into you than some of the social dancers. Grin

(Sorry, btw)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: