partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 12:38:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  hot or cold weather person?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: hot or cold weather person?  (Read 2647 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »

I wonder what the limit is - how hot can a human survive - for, say 4 hours at a time?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2013, 10:40:36 PM »

I tried googling it but didn't find anything.  I know that there are some desert places (like Dubai, if my guy friend is to be believed) where people work around the heat by staying up all night and sleeping during the hottest parts of the day.

Here, every summer, there is a handful of people, usually the infirm or elderly, who die from heat exhaustion. But the metroplex is home to millions.  A dozen dying doesn't make a comment about the human condition, IMHO, as much as the poor health of the few people affected.  I think that the human body can take quite a lot of heat.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2013, 03:45:28 AM »

that it can; as mentioned I went into +100 C for about 3 minutes and lived to tell the tale Smiley  But I don't think I would like to live there Tongue

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2013, 08:58:46 AM »

we have had people get lost in the desert and did not live to tell the tale. one thing is they say stay with your vehicle, one tourist couple  the n=man was not feeling well in the heat and stayed with the car and his wife (a doctors) started to walk for help, I think she did have water but  died I think she last three hours in 50c heat. Very Tragic

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2013, 03:36:24 AM »

Yeah.  I've heard the same thing in cases of extreme cold.  Staying with your vehicle maximizes the chances of being found.

And on a totally different note, at least here, it is summer.  Just a little reminder that children and pets should not be left in locked cars.  Babies die here from heat stroke every year. *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2013, 03:59:13 AM »

yes we have that also hear they get caught up gambling and leave their kids in the car, what an addiction and people either smash the window or they come back to a distressed or dead child makes me so mad  Angry

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2013, 05:46:47 AM »

Me too.

Not related to weather, but there was an 8-year-old girl killed here last week.  Her mother befriended a total stranger at Walmart -- a man who turned out to be a pedophile.  When the mother allowed the man to take her daughter to get a snack at the snack bar unattended, her abducted, raped and killed the little girl. It's horribly tragic, but I just couldn't help thinking about how foolish the mother was to let her child out of her sight with a complete stranger.  Sad

Seniors and the infirm die from the heat here, every year, especially in the older/poorer neighborhoods that don't have AC.  That's one of the few things I really hate about summer.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2013, 05:30:09 AM »

Me too.

Not related to weather, but there was an 8-year-old girl killed here last week.  Her mother befriended a total stranger at Walmart -- a man who turned out to be a pedophile.  When the mother allowed the man to take her daughter to get a snack at the snack bar unattended, her abducted, raped and killed the little girl. It's horribly tragic, but I just couldn't help thinking about how foolish the mother was to let her child out of her sight with a complete stranger.  Sad

But whats changed?  this sort of thing just about never happened even 50 years ago.  Back then strangers were only people you did not know, not potential murderers etc.  Somehow the lid has been taken off...

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2014, 11:56:38 PM »

I am a cold weather person - because I am way too hot~ (ok, I just couldn't make that pun).

My comfort temperature is somewhere around 10~20.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2014, 05:40:36 AM »

I guess it all depends where you put the divisions - or maybe where you put that tells which you are!

Hot - over 28C; cold less than -10....

yup, I'm not exactly a polar bear but I'm surely not hot... shucks...

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2014, 07:38:05 PM »

Interesting. Our median/average is about the same, but your standard deviation (just couldn't resist to use that word!) is much larger than mine. I would say, for me, < 0 is cold, and > 25 is hot.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2014, 05:43:44 AM »

Interesting. Our median/average is about the same, but your standard deviation (just couldn't resist to use that word!) is much larger than mine. I would say, for me, < 0 is cold, and > 25 is hot.
See its official, you are cool person!   Grin

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2014, 03:48:06 AM »

I think most people function optimally between 15-30 Celsius.  Anything on either side requires appropriate clothing for cold or hot weather. I don't think we are all too different

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2014, 11:09:26 AM »

I think most people function optimally between 15-30 Celsius.  Anything on either side requires appropriate clothing for cold or hot weather. I don't think we are all too different
Tongue Tongue
Right now, if it was 15 here we would all be near naked and complaining about the heat!  30 is way too hot for me (28 is really but I was high-balling). 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2014, 03:22:01 AM »

well 15 degrees here and people are getting their coats on! Tongue

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: