partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 02:57:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116503 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dance partner dimensions - what your range, preference :)
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dance partner dimensions - what your range, preference :)  (Read 2095 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: October 07, 2009, 08:02:10 AM »

This comes from the discussion between SW and BW on what constitutes a tiny dancer.  It would be interesting to see what different people think in different cultures/countries

[I'm editing this cause the posters have come up with a better idea]

What size dancer do you like to dance with?  Whats too short, just right and too tall?  Short legs, long legs, soft belly Wink
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:41:47 AM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »

I don't know if I can answer it in the context that you asked the question... I'm 6' (1.82m), which I think is pretty close to average for a male in the U.S.  I can answer in terms of the various partners I've danced with:

Tiny: Shorter than 5' 2".  When I'm in frame with a woman this short, my line of sight goes over her head.
Short: 5' 2" to 5' 6".
Medium: 5' 6" to 5' 10".  My DW is 5' 6" in bare feet. 
Tall: 5' 10" to 6' 2". 
Very Tall: Taller than 6' 2".  This is the partner height at which I have to reach to get in frame. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:54:35 PM »

So you're on the tall side with your specs I think - most places a 5'9 woman would be tall, else its pretty close to my estimations

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:11:31 AM »

My dance height is 5'9"/5'10" ( in shoes

Too Short: would be below my dance height
Too Tall would be beyond 6'5

Medium: is 6'.0- 6'4"

I hope I interpreted that correctly

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 05:37:38 AM »

Anyway is correct on this topic - I like the way its evolved - basically whats correct for YOU.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:40:21 AM »

5'10 or lower - too short
6' to 6'7" lovely
haven't danced with anyone taller

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 05:44:42 AM »

Actually female pro made me think - she was remembering a past partner and said that his arms were too short.  So I got to thinking about that - I was always wondering why dancing with DP is so comfortable whereas with an earlier partner, who is the same height, it was always a little out.  And the answer is arm lenth.  DP could be a windmill in his next career (er, as could I) and there is tons of room to spread out in.  Past partner really did have short arms.  So that makes me wonder if I could dance comfortably with a short man who had very long arms Smiley

So maybe we focus too much on height, the lateral dimension is important too.

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »

I agree that arm length is very important.  One of the ladies I dance with has short arms and we wrestle with that - she often extends them fully and sometimes they lock and pull our hold out of position. Another friend who has long arms iis just very comfortable to dance with.

I prefer taller partners, as I just find it more comfortalbe, especially when putting some distance in my steps, there is no sense of discomfort or difficulty in my partner matching my steps.  My partners currently are quite short, 5'4" though I find that good technique makes up for the er...shortfall.

My previous partner was about 5'9" and I am approx 6'.

I often have difficulty dancing with shorter partners.  There are lots of excellent chinese lady dancers around but while we can have fun in latin, there are always problems in standard, mostly just the size difference, their ability to match my steps or even for me to step between there legs comfortably. So I have to shorten all my steps which is the opposite of what I'm learning.

My worst matches are short heavy ladies who pull down on me.  That being said while dance hosting on the QE2 I did have occassion to dance with a huge lady who was light as a feather and a real pleasure to dance with. So I think that technique makes all the difference.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »

Well I'm 5ft9 and about 150lbs. Does that make me a tiny dancer?  Roll Eyes
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »

i am 5 feet 2 inches. so rather short.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 09:03:45 PM »

I often have difficulty dancing with shorter partners.  There are lots of excellent chinese lady dancers around but while we can have fun in latin, there are always problems in standard, mostly just the size difference, their ability to match my steps or even for me to step between there legs comfortably. So I have to shorten all my steps which is the opposite of what I'm learning.

I am short but never have problems matching taller people's steps.

It's technique not height.

Some tall people cant move much either !
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »

I am short but never have problems matching taller people's steps.

It's technique not height.

Some tall people cant move much either !

Dancing with a shorter partner reminds me to stay in my knees.   Grin  The only thing about dancing with a really short partner (other than having to remind myself not to get lazy with my frame) is that, if I'm in body contact with her, I can't see her!  It's kind of weird... like dancing with a ghost partner!   Cheesy
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »

My partner thought I was short. My teachers thought I was tall. I don't know what I am other then 176.5cm (5'9 1/2" ) with shoes. Wink
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:36:52 AM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 10:57:27 PM »

My partner thought I was short. My teachers thought I was tall. I don't know what I am other then 176.5cm (5'9" ). Wink

Of course, for women, your effective dance height depends on what shoes you wear.  My DW wears 2" heels, so she dances at 5' 8".  My instructor, in 4" heels, dances very close to my height; I'd say 5' 11".

I'm not that particular about partner height, except that if I dance with a very tall woman, it's somewhat more difficult because I have to hold my frame above my shoulders.  But there are offsetting advantages -- providing that she knows her technique, doing a smooth dance with a tall woman can really move!  And the open stuff looks great.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 11:13:03 PM »

I'm 5'8" but in my standard shoes I'm 5"10 1/2 and in latin I'm 5' 11" so I need a tall guy.  I also have long arms too.  Well okay I have long arms, legs and body but thankfully so does my partner and he is tall.  We we have been told often that we are the perfect match body ways with each other so I'm lucky. 

I will social dance with guys of any height but dancing with men that are too much shorter becomes difficult because they ride on my leg when I step through, and I don't want to be that friendly.     

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: