partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 03:07:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dance partner dimensions - what your range, preference :)
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Dance partner dimensions - what your range, preference :)  (Read 2006 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 11:26:51 PM »

My DW has fairly long arms, and I've danced with other women who have long arms.  I sometimes have the problem that when we get into a Latin frame, they want to stand at the longest arm length that is comfortable for them.  That makes it uncomfortably long for me --  I wind up with my right arm fully extended and arm locked, just to keep the heel of my hand from coming around the front. 
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 11:41:50 PM »

My DW has fairly long arms, and I've danced with other women who have long arms.  I sometimes have the problem that when we get into a Latin frame, they want to stand at the longest arm length that is comfortable for them.  That makes it uncomfortably long for me --  I wind up with my right arm fully extended and arm locked, just to keep the heel of my hand from coming around the front. 

Hmmm, hand coming arond the front.  Maybe your missing your DW's purpose.  Okay, okay, I'm bad.   Wink

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 12:09:55 AM »

Hmmm, hand coming arond the front.  Maybe your missing your DW's purpose.  Okay, okay, I'm bad.   Wink

Well, it's a bit awkward when it's someone else.   Shocked
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 04:35:16 AM »

I will social dance with guys of any height but dancing with men that are too much shorter becomes difficult because they ride on my leg when I step through, and I don't want to be that friendly.     
Shocked

You could just lift them up for that step....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 07:55:38 AM »

Um, moving right along.

I've about 5' 4 1/2 ", and my partner is about 6' 2". We have problems, but we're learning ways around them. Sure, our hold isn't what is the 'done thing', but that's because the 'done thing' makes us look awkward and out of frame. We've adapted it, and according to our coaches, the result is good. Our main problem is that his legs are waaaaay longer than mine, so we have an interesting time walking in close contact, or generally just dancing properly in close contact. We spend the entirety of last lesson walking up and down the room getting used to each other.

I guess I'd prefer a guy only a couple of inches taller than me, but there aren't many of them around (stupid teenage boys and their tendency to grow like bean sprouts.)
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 05:32:43 AM »

I'm about 5'1" and therefore tiny, or petite, as I  like to say  Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »

Isn't it odd - the difference between 5'1" and 5'10" is the differnece between petite and tall.  Thats only 9 inches out of a total of 70 inces - - about 13%!  And yet in dancing it makes such a difference....

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »

I like to dance with someone that has a center I can connect to. Too tall/tooshort  it is all in the proportion.....
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 01:03:54 AM »

I like to dance with someone that has a center I can connect to. Too tall/tooshort  it is all in the proportion.....
Interesting perspective.  But don't you sometimes feel that there is a great center but the limbs somehow don't work Cheesy

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 02:59:41 AM »

I'm 5'6" barefoot, so assuming I'm in my 3" competition heels I dance at 5'9".  Now, if I'm in my low-heeled practice shoes, whack a couple inches off all these measurements, LOL.  Also, I dance Latin, so arm/leg length isn't as much of an issue for me in finding somebody that "matches" my height.

Too Short: 5'7" or below
Short: 5'8" - 5'10"
Just Right: 5'11" - 6'2"
Tall: 6'3" or over

That said, my favorite WCS partner is 6'4" and built like a linebacker!  And there isn't a "too tall" category because there's a guy at my studio that's in the 6'6"-6'7" range, and I can dance perfectly well with him with some frame adjustments.  Personally, I'm more comfortable dancing with men that are on the taller end of the spectrum than the shorter, but I suspect that's just because of personal preference--all of the men I grew up around are tall, so I just have more experience dealing with the adjustments necessary for a man that's much taller than I am.  Now, I will admit that dancing Smooth or Standard with said fave WCS partner can get a little awkward, just because his knees tend to hit right in the middle of my thighs!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: