partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 06:16:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  STUPID things overheard at social dances.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: STUPID things overheard at social dances.  (Read 6084 times)
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »

The social dancer was actually a lead and he thinks that he is the best lead in that particular social scene.

He is one of those ppl who takes really BIG steps and think he is the equal of Victor.

The champ couple actually reduce the size of their steps in the social scene and do not dance as BIG as they would in the comps.

This gives the impression to the above social dancer that the DP of this champ dancer is INCAPABLE of taking as BIG steps as he does.

Also, the above social dancer thinks because he is taller he automatically moves a lot more which he probably does but with extremely low quality movement.

The quality of the champ couple is amazing to watch tho !

I actually overheard this exchange last Sunday. She was being really nice to this jerk though !
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 07:31:51 PM »

Obviously someone with a lot of class...
(Yes, the girl Wink )

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2010, 03:48:48 AM »

I had one guy who thought he was God's gift to dancing and the ladies tell me a couple of years ago:  I like it when the girl is heavy and I can push and pull her into place.  Your partner must not be a very good lead because you just move to where I want you to go and I don't have to push or pull you.

In my mind:  Huh?  Are you retarded?  If my partner pushed and pulled (yanked) me all over the floor like you do I would walk off and hand him a chair to dance with.

What I said:  If my 1400 pd horse can react and understand the lightest of leads like come to a halt just by drawing my belly button in, or turn when I settle into a seat bone then what makes you think that I am less capable of feeling a lead.  He does not need to be pushed nor pulled and neither do I?  If the proper lead is there he can feel it and in dancing so can I.  The more skilled the follower the lighter the leads.  I don't need to have the lead shouted to me, only whispered, and my partner understands this.

What he said:  Well I took ballroom lessons 30 years ago and I know how to lead.  When I see you and your partner dance it looks like he isn't giving you any leads.

What I said:  Exactly, I'm sure he will be very happy to hear that.

What my DP said:  Dumb F***

Same guy a year later:  I'm starting to hate dancing with the ladies I come with (same ladies as before but he took a few lessons and a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous).  I have to push and pull them into everything and my arms are getting sore doing it.  It sure isn't fun for me.   

What I said:  Then you should be happy, you trained them well.

What he said:  When I dance with you I feel like I'm floating.  I just think the move and you are there.  After dancing with you I don't want to dance with them anymore unless they get better.

In my mind:  I think they said the same thing about you to my partner.  Then again if I didn't take Martial Arts and watch where you were commiting your body I would have a hard time following you too since your arms and legs are all over creation and you dance so bent over body contact is hopeless.

What I said:  What a difference a year makes.  (or something of this nature).

What my DP said:  Dumb F***

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 03:53:59 AM »

You have a very wise DP.... Undecided Cheesy

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 04:03:01 AM »

Probably what I should have said to the guy but my DP says I am way too nice and that is why people take advantage of me.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 04:38:42 AM »

You are very diplomatic. No use making enemies, even if he does deserve them
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 07:21:40 AM »

You are very diplomatic. No use making enemies, even if he does deserve them

thats 99% true - but sometimes standing up for what you believe is more important than maintaining social graces... (not saying this was an example)

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »

Oh, definitely. But I think in this case, keeping things civil was best for all involved
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2010, 08:48:47 AM »

yes - and sometimes safest Wink

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »

My DP is right though, I try and get along with everyone and can be mild mannered, but often people know this and take advantage of me.  Sometimes I just need to be less of a pansy and tell them what I am thinking, even if nicely.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2010, 02:49:48 AM »

?  I think you have your way - in the nicest possible manner of course Cheesy

Peaches
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2010, 02:49:21 PM »

This happens to me on the weekend.

A dude was trying to emulate in the social what we learnt in the group class before the social.

He leads me into some complicated tango moves.

I followed.

Then he dragged me yep that's right dragged me by the wrist to a corner.

'That is NOT right. Let me TEACH you how this is supposed to be done ! Even the teacher of the group class does not know how to do it properly. Do it AGAIN ! I will show you HOW !'

Sigh ... that's the longest 2 mins dance being humiliated unnecessarily on the floor.

Why am I so ..... nice to ppl ?

Ahhh...  *sigh of quasi-nostalgia*

I *love* it when I used to BR socials, and someone would find out that I danced AT, and then they'd want to dance "AT" with me.  Invariably it was some b.s. ballroom pattern with a choreographed "boleo" or some nonsense thrown in.  Totally not led--not by b.r. standards, and certainly NOT by AT standards.  *sigh*  Whatever.  The key is to try and figure out the pattern and do it and make them happy.  (As one AT teacher told me, AT is a social dance, so part of the skill has got to be getting through dancing with a variety of partners.  Even if something isn't being led correctly, for that person, that incorrect lead IS the lead, so respond accordingly.)  Gotta love it when I can't figure out for the life of me what they're trying to do, and even if I was able, I wouldn't have been able to do it on account of their not setting themselves up correctly--off balance, pulling me off balance, pushing, pulling, shoving, putting me in a completely unworkable position.  Sigh.  Whatever. 

It does make for a bit of difficulty in keeping a pleasantly interested expression on my face, or a smile even, or anything other than getting snippy.  Whatever.  They don't know any better, just like their teachers don't have a friggin' clue half the time.  Which ticks me off, and adds to the difficulty in keeping a smile on my face, but oh well.  Such is social dancing.

Hmmm...it's been a while since I've had that experience.  Maybe I should wander back to a ballroom social and remind myself.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »

hi there P - been a while since i had this experience too Cheesy

'you need to learn to follow'  is my all time favorite from the guy that had just walked on my feet....

I'd like to say that the reply was 'you need to get up'  but unfortunately, I'm not violent enough.... Undecided

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 11:43:33 PM »

Nice to see you back Peaches.

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »

I miss the ol' social ballroom!  Reading all these stories actually makes me WANT to go back and amuse myself.  A little bit of knowledge is definitely a dangerous thing.

I went to a rather higher level social ballroom gathering last weekend.  It was higher level because everyone's floor craft was impeccable.  It was a new studio that a couple of teachers had just opened.  The teachers at that studio are very good, and most of the social dancers were their students or had been at some point.  The teachers make no distinction between social dancing and competitive dancing, even in their group classes (which I used to go to).  Those classes were just as good for me as they were for the raw beginners in that class.  I used to watch the private lessons taught to the social dancers and was shocked how hard the teachers were on their students during those lessons, probably harder than they were during my lessons.  The floor was small but the place was PACKED.  The level of dancing was certainly higher 'cause I haven't seen so many folks do Samba promenade runs on a social floor going full out without bumping into anybody.  I think it's a real testament to the quality of the values the teachers imposed on their students.  Their biggest things they always harped on was awareness that you're sharing the floor with others, "if anything goes wrong, it's the man's fault", and "take care of the girl at all costs".  So with all the men completely taking care of whoever they danced with, the girls had a great time dancing with all the men and nobody bumped into anybody.  I had never at a social dance seen the ladies so completely carefree and dancing their hearts out.  

I understand it was a more homogenous group but I was amazed at what a difference the values of these dancers made on the dance floor.  It was SO nice. Then again it also seems like it was the values of the male dancers that made all the difference!  Is that a sexist remark?  I mean, I've had my fair share of ladies trying to teach me how to dance at socials, but that has happened pretty rarely.  For the entire atmosphere and standard of this particular social dance to be elevated so high, I wonder if it had to do with the fact that nearly all the men had a set of values more suited to dancing on crowded floors and making the ladies feel good.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:09:54 PM by Some guy » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: