partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  STUPID things overheard at social dances.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: STUPID things overheard at social dances.  (Read 6328 times)
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 03:26:00 AM »

Here's another.  Wait for the dance connect...

So, I was a competative tennis player.  My friend tells me she plays tennis. Upon further exploration of the subject it turns out she has a tennis GAME called Wii.

"Oh yes, but it's just like tennis!".

Hmmm is that so.  I guess I could have stayed at home and played on the computer instead of 15 years of lessons and practice!  Darn, what you learn when you grow older!Anyway, I go to her place and we play on the Wii terminal, throwing up a tennis game on her flat screen tv.  We operate paddles and some sort of sensor assesses our stroke and our little cutsy icons on the tv screen simulate an appropriate backhand/lob/forhand/whatever.  It was fun but...not quite like the real thing.

So...she calls me today.  Guess what? she says...My friend has dance version of Wii.  She now thinks that if she plays this game and follows the dance moves she'll end up a dancer!

Hmm I wonder how much I could save in lessons if I bought a Wii terminal (*LOL*)

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 03:28:06 AM »

Here's another.  Wait for the dance connect...

So, I was a competative tennis player.  My friend tells me she plays tennis. Upon further exploration of the subject it turns out she has a tennis GAME called Wii.

"Oh yes, but it's just like tennis!".

Hmmm is that so.  I guess I could have stayed at home and played on the computer instead of 15 years of lessons and practice!  Darn, what you learn when you grow older!Anyway, I go to her place and we play on the Wii terminal, throwing up a tennis game on her flat screen tv.  We operate paddles and some sort of sensor assesses our stroke and our little cutsy icons on the tv screen simulate an appropriate backhand/lob/forhand/whatever.  It was fun but...not quite like the real thing.

So...she calls me today.  Guess what? she says...My friend has dance version of Wii.  She now thinks that if she plays this game and follows the dance moves she'll end up a dancer!

Hmm I wonder how much I could save in lessons if I bought a Wii terminal (*LOL*)

let me know I am all for saving money, but not prepared to compromise my dancing.... Roll Eyes Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 03:30:28 AM »

Me: "May I have this dance?"
Lady: "Sure, let me teach you".  
 Shocked

Now I understand why she's never asked to dance.  

I have another story but not what was said but the action. When I first started dancing therre was this older guy (single) that would approach the ladies not even look at them head in the other direction hold out his hand and wriggle his fingers, to say come come, I am doing you a favor. I just looked in astonishment and thought come and do it to me buddy and wait for my response. Angry

What do they they think....  I hate to guess  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 03:49:22 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 07:21:34 AM »

But the odd thing is that in some ways she might - by playing the game version she is likely to get hungry for the real thing and it will have some benefits by helping her know her body and how to control it so, funny as we all know this idea is, it might yet have real dance benefits....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 12:54:32 AM »

A guy walked inot the studio today, and said, "My girlfriend was ticked that we didn't dance at our friend's Christmas party, so I thought that I would get her a lesson before New Year's one.    Shocked

As if this wasn't stupid enough, I composed self and said jestingly, "So, she needs lessons, huh?" To which he said, "Yeah. I've been doin' it in bars all my life. Touch dancin' can't be all that different".    Huh

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 05:40:12 AM »

A guy walked inot the studio today, and said, "My girlfriend was ticked that we didn't dance at our friend's Christmas party, so I thought that I would get her a lesson before New Year's one.    Shocked

As if this wasn't stupid enough, I composed self and said jestingly, "So, she needs lessons, huh?" To which he said, "Yeah. I've been doin' it in bars all my life. Touch dancin' can't be all that different".    Huh

Thats a prize winner - how do you spell 'l-o-s-e-r'?  He gives me the creeps already...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 06:03:09 AM »

And you think they may have got better as the years go on, but alas they still exist...

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 02:29:03 AM »

OK, here's a new one... by a teacher, no less *head smacky icon*

"I don't care what you say. You can't teach a beginner continuity styling because they haven't learned how to properly close their feet yet."

Cry

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 08:17:29 AM »

The MC announces the dance "Next dance is a Waltz." Half way through the dance, I heard someone ask "What's this dance called?"
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »

The MC announces the dance "Next dance is a Waltz." Half way through the dance, I heard someone ask "What's this dance called?"

The senior instructor at our studio also manages the music library, and he's famous for occasionally mis-labeling pieces of music.  At least once every Friday, our DJ gets surprised when he announces something as what it's labeled on the computer -- say, a samba -- and it turns out to be something like a VW.   Cheesy
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 11:48:38 AM »

Me: "May I have this dance?"
Lady: "Sure, let me teach you". 
 Shocked

Now I understand why she's never asked to dance. 

I had a similar situation happen while teaching.

Me: “What would you like to do?”
Student: “I think I first need to tell you what I know”

Two lessons later

Me: “Thank you for the lessons, times up”
Student: “But you didn’t teach me anything”
Me: “I couldn’t get a word in you were talking all the time”
Student: “Well, I wanted to make sure you understood what I already know so you don’t waste my time and teach me that again”

Interesting Shocked Roll Eyes Cheesy

:lol:

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 04:40:11 PM »

The senior instructor at our studio also manages the music library, and he's famous for occasionally mis-labeling pieces of music.  At least once every Friday, our DJ gets surprised when he announces something as what it's labeled on the computer -- say, a samba -- and it turns out to be something like a VW.   Cheesy

-.-

This happens all the time...our instructor is infamous for...not always providing the best music.

But hey, we start. Everyone complains. He stops the music and puts the right track on. And then we look stupid.

Grin

We have quite a few instances where half of the people there wont hear that the dance is a progressive. So they don't progress! Even when the rest of the cirlce is, and there are uncoupled people everywhere, they don't progress. Not on the second or third run through either.
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »

This happens to me on the weekend.

A dude was trying to emulate in the social what we learnt in the group class before the social.

He leads me into some complicated tango moves.

I followed.

Then he dragged me yep that's right dragged me by the wrist to a corner.

'That is NOT right. Let me TEACH you how this is supposed to be done ! Even the teacher of the group class does not know how to do it properly. Do it AGAIN ! I will show you HOW !'

Sigh ... that's the longest 2 mins dance being humiliated unnecessarily on the floor.

Why am I so ..... nice to ppl ?

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »

Sigh ... that's the longest 2 mins dance being humiliated unnecessarily on the floor.

Why am I so ..... nice to ppl ?
probably because thats why you went into dancing in the first place - to meet and dance with gentlemen who make you feel like a million dollars by leading you effortlessly, seamlessly, musically and caringly through beautiful music...

keep the dream honey, its out there......

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 08:31:25 PM »

'That is NOT right. Let me TEACH you how this is supposed to be done ! Even the teacher of the group class does not know how to do it properly. Do it AGAIN ! I will show you HOW !'

I've seen exactly that at one of the socials I go to, but the difference is that he used to be an open amature finallist in Germany. I think the girls often go up to him and ask for those "lessons".  Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: