partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:38:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Leads: How do you choose partners?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Leads: How do you choose partners?  (Read 4349 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »

Which one?
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »

As far as choosing specific partners for a specific dance: I do this some, but not a lot.  Maybe 3-4 times per night.  It would be one of three situations: (1) she has "reserved" a particular dance because she wants to work on it; (2) I choose a partner for a dance because I know she loves that dance and/or she's particularly good at it; or (3) I haven't done that dance with that partner very much, and I want to see how it goes.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 10:49:53 PM »

Hey Ginger what does all chewy mean?
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 01:15:33 AM »

SW, you should be glad I'm around- I'm sure to give you plenty to whine about, girlfriend or not! *smooch*

Chewy- gooey and something sugary, an inexplicable melty feeling when The Right Frame comes along.
Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »

Ah, the infamous case the joint style.

I'm that same way---QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK!  Grin

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 06:54:07 AM »

(oh, no - here' comes the guy that waddles when he leads...Tongue)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »

(oh, no - here' comes the guy that waddles when he leads...Tongue)

LMAO!!!!  Grin

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 12:46:09 PM »

well, that explains the waddle Roll Eyes

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »

Anyway ... back on the very good topic.   Smiley

I really like leads with the case the joint style.  Not that it makes a lot of difference to me personally,since  have no problem at all with asking guys to dance.  But I think that the approach cornutt describes makes for a much healthier social dance scene, overall, because you're not left with a haves/have-nots social order.   That makes it more likely that people will stick around.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:49:04 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 05:20:54 AM »

When I read the title, I just couldn't stop thinking the other meanings of it Wink.

I know a person that dances with everyone (well, as many as he could anyway), and I have great respect for him. As a lead, I know that it is really hard to do so every time - it could feel like a chore sometimes. He has a better sense of self sacrificing than I do, that is for sure Wink. No wonder he is a teacher, and I could never be one.

I tended to dance with my partner, and my teammies...mostly my partner if she was there. I used to dance with everyone, but I have gotten more and more selective. I think this is due to me being a better dancer (compare to everyone on the dance floor), and being a lead (these two combinations make me a...rare commodity. Not in a snobbish way.) More and more people would ask me to dance, and I had partners that I enjoyed dancing with (duh!), so I rarely have to do the asking. Beside, I develop some "taste" - like I don't do night club dancing unless being asked. And I absolutely don't do salsa. And Bachata.

The less I ask people dancing, the less I have practice asking. And the harder it is for me to do the asking. I have to ask 5 times mentally before doing the actual asking with strangers.

I guess I am a really shy person. Or lazy, or snobbish. Whatever.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »

I think this is worth repeating:

1. Beginning Dancer: knows nothing.
2. Intermediate Dancer: knows everything; too good to dance with beginners.
3. Hotshot Dancer: too good to dance with anyone.
4. Advanced Dancer: dances everything, especially with beginners.”
(attrib: Dick Crum)

I don't mean to be mean but put in a gentler way they really are normal stages of dance development because as we learn we are actually uncomfortable dancing with beginners because they throw us off.  However a truly advanced dancer - such as professional teachers - is confident of their abilities and can maintain them even with a rank beginner.

I remember watching Joe Jenkins  take a beginner onto the dance floor and dance them effortlessly round the room.  One of the best leads I ever had the honour to dance with.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 09:50:45 AM »

Meaning that there's a stage of dance development when it's dangerous to oneself to dance with beginners?  *asking for clarification*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:41 AM »

Meaning that there's a stage of dance development when it's dangerous to oneself to dance with beginners?  *asking for clarification*
Definitely not dangerous - I'm talking about the dancer's feelings, not necessarily the reality.  You are struggling to establish something in your technique and don't want it to fall apart - or more important to be tested - with a person that does not understand or might even fight against it.  Of course pride is another factor Undecided

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »

I know a lot of high level intermediate to advanced dancers who will not dance with beginners or who avoid social dancing altogether.

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »

Definitely not dangerous - I'm talking about the dancer's feelings, not necessarily the reality.  You are struggling to establish something in your technique and don't want it to fall apart - or more important to be tested - with a person that does not understand or might even fight against it.  Of course pride is another factor Undecided
I agree. As a matter of fact, I personally think that beginners are probably the most harmless people (to your techniques), beside the advance dancers. Normally, they are already a bit nervous and excited, they tend to be really light in connection...normally. There are a few that got hyper nervous and starting to squeeze down - then noodle arms are in needed. Some of them are surprisingly sensitive to leads - as long as it isn't a reverse sway slip pivot...or maybe someone could pull that off.

Of course, I am speaking as a lead, so I do have a better control in what we are doing. I wonder if that is true to follows.

I imagine that it could be a real threat to follows' techniques, or safety. What do you ladies think? I was always told that, if you couldn't maintain your technique over a social dance, then obviously you haven't drilled it hard enough. And if you get any bad habits from social dancing...well, it really won't take long to readjust them, too. Although as a guy, I don't get dipped, and threw around, and...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:42:20 AM by millitiz » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: