partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Very crowded floors
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Very crowded floors  (Read 4658 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 06:06:54 AM »

if everyone is doing the same style on the floor I have no problem, but we have people doing two different styles of dancing and that poses a problem...but we always use it as an opportunity to improve the floor craft. Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 06:08:43 AM »

They put a couple doing american style (think NV) in the same heat with 7 of us doing open standard - it was a real hazzard with all those arms sticking out Shocked

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 06:16:39 AM »

They put a couple doing american style (think NV) in the same heat with 7 of us doing open standard - it was a real hazzard with all those arms sticking out Shocked

it is and they break apart..it is a night mare. its either stand, smooth or NV or whatever but not everyone at once.

Dance Forum
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:43 AM »

I go by the 'rule of three'.
If I get stopped three times I leave the floor for that dance. Rather than allow my frustration levels to increase, I limit it to recoverable levels.

If I have had my dance fix (dancing with wifey), then the busy floors I focus on dancing around. Thus my step size is lower, the step complexity is lower, navigation is a lot easier. I focus (self improvement) more on the lead/follow skill as my partner is probably more likely to need greater assistance to cope.

If I don't get my dance fix within the first couple of hours, I leave. I need something to keep me going. No point flogging a dead horse.

If the venue is regularly poor, I don't come back (the advantages of living inthe big city, lots of other choices).

I do try to educate people. If a slow couple is in the outside lane for a travelling dance and are blocking me, I walk right behind them, making it obvious (to all but the blind, inconsiderate, stupid) that they are a hinderance. I also ask the organisers/DJ (as appropriate) to announce floorcraft issues. (Although, at Westway I asked, and a committee member anounced it, and HE was the one who was causing the obstruction - what can you do!!!! Tongue).

Graham
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 11:50:24 AM »

I go by the 'rule of three'.
If I get stopped three times I leave the floor for that dance. Rather than allow my frustration levels to increase, I limit it to recoverable levels.

Wow, it must be really crowded there.  I don't think I've ever been stepped on three times in one dance!   Shocked
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »

Stopped not stepped (Still learning Canadian  Smiley)

Although I have been stepped on multiple times in one dance. Usually a salsa night. I eventually learnt that the space was because no-one else wanted to dance next to them.. Again, elbows, knees and raised heels sorts them out nowadays, they get 'punished' more than I do.

Graham
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »

Although I have been stepped on multiple times in one dance. Usually a salsa night. I eventually learnt that the space was because no-one else wanted to dance next to them.. Again, elbows, knees and raised heels sorts them out nowadays, they get 'punished' more than I do.

Graham

Sounds like it may not be just a crowded floor issue. lol

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »

Graham

Sounds like it may not be just a crowded floor issue. lol

Perhaps he should try kickboxing instead?

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »

It's amazing that some people are that oblivious to everyone except themselves.  Doesn't just happen in dance, btw.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 06:19:43 PM »

It's amazing that some people are that oblivious to everyone except themselves.  Doesn't just happen in dance, btw.
their own self image occupies their percieved space, from horizon to horizon - not just the dance floor...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 01:32:52 AM »

this is whre NV dancing comes in very handy.....everyone doing the same thing on the floor going in the same direction you can have 100's on the floor.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 02:45:36 AM »

this is whre NV dancing comes in very handy.....everyone doing the same thing on the floor going in the same direction you can have 100's on the floor.

Makes sense.  You don't have to worry about that pesky floorcraft nearly as much, because you know where everywhere is and have a good idea of where they're going to b next.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 05:48:25 AM »

Makes sense.  You don't have to worry about that pesky floorcraft nearly as much, because you know where everywhere is and have a good idea of where they're going to b next.

OTOH what happens when one person trips Grin  Everyone drops in sequence? Smiley

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »

Or the inertia of the group keeps them standing upright?  Cheesy

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »

Or the inertia of the group keeps them standing upright?  Cheesy
funny thought - then someon opens the door and they all spill out on the sidewalk...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: