partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 12:20:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Very crowded floors
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Very crowded floors  (Read 4374 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: October 05, 2009, 10:27:49 PM »

I'm going to try to start some new topics in the social dancing area of PDO, which has been lagging a bit.  So here's one: coping with very crowded floors.  How does it impact your dancing?  Do you find there are things you can't do, or things you have to do, on a seriously crowded floor?  Do you enjoy dancing in a crowd, or do you prefer to wait and see if some of them will leave before you get out on the floor?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:47:03 AM »

Lots of our comp friends use crowded floors to practice floor craft. they also use it to do basics very well....Have been on small comp floors with 8 couples so you have to learn to adjust.
It may not be the most enjoyable but it certainly tests your patience as as mentioned floorcraft

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:15:36 AM »

I agree - its also a great place to practise ballance and smoothness since you are probably limited to starting steps.  I must admit that it can also be fun to try to negotiate the pack and find a little spot for an extra something - so you can add lead-follow to that.  Great for couples who spend too much time on routines...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »

When I go to socials with my DP, we never dance our routine. Most of the times we dance in relaxed hold too, other wise our frame would be too big for a crowded social floor. It's good to get our bodies in tune with one another.

It's fun interacting with the couple who's dancing beside you, even the little bumps can be fun! Also, when our friends from competition are there as well, we love to "pin" them to the corner.  Cheesy
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:20:07 AM »

I find that for waltz and foxtrot, there's a limit to how crowded a floor I can deal with.  If my brain is working particularly well on a given night, I can find my way through the nooks and crannies, but... it seems that I pick up bad habits from doing that.  Something about constantly having to change all of the angles.  So if the floor is very crowded, I have to drop back to American bronze style.  (Which has its merits, but it isn't the same.)  With other dances I can deal with it, although IMO, doing cha-cha or bolero or ECS when there's no room to move isn't very much fun.  
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »

We go to a place south of us once every so often to practice floor-craft and connection. The upside is that it's hella crowded but when they see "Ooooh, Them Bawlrewm Daincerz 're back, Paw!", a lot stop and watch... right in the LOD.

The downside is that it's not in a smoke-free building so by about nine-thirty, it's time to pack up and head to Wendy's for a frosty.

If it gets too crowded to do anything but sway, we just leave after "beating the zombies out of the graveyard", making a lap, and getting our fix.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 05:38:26 AM »

As Cornutt posted, this is what amer bronze is for. I even know of a comp that has what is called the "Social Ease" division, where they cordon off the floor smaller/smaller after each dance until all (latin/smooth, etc) are done. Fun.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 10:19:38 PM »

As Cornutt posted, this is what amer bronze is for. I even know of a comp that has what is called the "Social Ease" division, where they cordon off the floor smaller/smaller after each dance until all (latin/smooth, etc) are done. Fun.

I've done that!  Doing tango on a floor that's shorter than the normal length of one basic calls for a rather different set of skills.   Shocked
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 11:31:40 PM »

Indeed.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 01:18:37 AM »

A crowded floor is great to learn to master for a comp...you need to be able to maneuver without upsetting your routine. Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 03:48:01 AM »

Another solution is to just dance *muuuch* closer with your partner Wink
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 06:04:11 AM »

yes that is an option but not on the comp floor ,big is better... and have to get used to that

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 06:55:30 AM »

DP and I do that sometimes at socials...It works, but it's not good for working on frame.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 06:56:26 AM »

love it.  They should announce that when its crowed "Everyone, we have a crowd situation here, please glom onto your partner so that we can fit a another 30 people onto the 10'X10' floor...."

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 07:02:55 AM »

love it.  They should announce that when its crowed "Everyone, we have a crowd situation here, please glom onto your partner so that we can fit a another 30 people onto the 10'X10' floor...."

Cue all of the lecherous men finding the prettiest partner, and all of the women 'Uhh..sorry...I really need to go to the toilet...'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: