partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:16:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Competition results of PDOers
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] Print
Author Topic: Competition results of PDOers  (Read 53666 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1005 on: September 03, 2014, 08:35:09 AM »

I wonder if there should be open marking and that might make them think twice about what they are doing.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1006 on: September 09, 2014, 03:24:53 AM »

I think some of the judges need to explain their marks.  It should be interesting.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1007 on: September 09, 2014, 07:32:37 AM »

I think some of the judges need to explain their marks.  It should be interesting.   
yes, but we have to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.  A judge may just call it as they see it - and that call may correspond to the students they have taught.  Indeed, there is that likelihood since those students are dancing as the judge thinks is correct.

There is not always corruption just be cause the scores follow a possibly predicted pattern.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1008 on: September 09, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »

I agree.  I was just talking about this with some people.  They wondered how the same top couples would get different placings at different comps.  I was saying that it was not always due to politics but rather what the individual judges thought were most important in a dancer.  If you have a technique first judge then he will forgive lack of presentation over better technique.  If you have a judge that likes presentation or is swayed by it then they will judge the couples with stronger presentation over technique.  I have talked to darn near all the judges in Ontario and some from Quebec and got to know what they preferred.  During the competition I could almost tell who was going to get what and it would also very much answer some of the reasons why the marks could be so far apart or so different depending on the judging panel.  I remember that if we had a strong "Presentation" panel we would make that a focus at the comp. 
Now that I am around the judges a lot I have gotten to learn why they mark down particular couples and why they put up others.  I would say the majority of times it was not political or some such thing but due to a personal preferance.  Other times a couple was marked down because they had moved up to the next level but did not in time show improvement on something such as still taking heel leads where it should be toe.     

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1009 on: September 09, 2014, 10:02:40 PM »

Nice to hear an 'insider' view.  I really think that most people are honest and are trying to do their best.  But they are also human with the same foibles.  A really corrupt judge is very rare.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1010 on: September 27, 2014, 01:08:24 AM »

just back  from another interstate comp, Were very happy with our results, we made three finals. Two on the Saturday and only danced the 8 dance on the Sunday (which is four Standard and four New Vogue).

We finished 5th in the New Vogue 6th in the Modern and 7th in the 8 Dance.

We have manage to finish most of the years in Finals more in New Vogue than Standard, but Standard is our first love Cheesy. The good thing about new Vogue it can be so expressive and  that is a great thing. We have worked hard on both styles  and I think that it does show particularly when I look at the photos, they are more consistent and not too many duds. Cheesy

Our next major event is in a few weeks at home so no travel now until October but later. After that there is only one left. We will have participated in a total of 15  competitions this year so more than one per month. Exciting is that we will go on the floor at the next local comp doing Coach and Pupil Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:12:31 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1011 on: September 27, 2014, 05:38:18 AM »

Coach and pupil?  Which will be which? Tongue

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1012 on: September 28, 2014, 06:47:39 PM »

now that will be special Cheesy... there has to be life after competing and that will be assiting others on their journey

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1013 on: September 28, 2014, 08:23:25 PM »

now that will be special Cheesy... there has to be life after competing and that will be assiting others on their journey
That's lovely Smiley

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1014 on: October 02, 2014, 02:35:21 PM »

Wow, QPO, you go girl!!!!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1015 on: October 05, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »

Are you still competing Rugby?

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1016 on: October 08, 2014, 06:52:56 AM »

we have another comp on the week-end but have come down with a virus so not 100% at the moment. so we will see how things go. V is seeing a orthopedic surgeon tomorow about his shoulder not that he wants surgery but he still has lots of pain a year since it has started so will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1017 on: October 08, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »

Good luck to V Smiley

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1018 on: October 16, 2014, 12:25:12 AM »

We are planning on doing the Closed hopefully.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1019 on: October 17, 2014, 05:06:26 AM »

We are planning on doing the Closed hopefully.
terrific Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: