partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 09:01:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116503 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Competition results of PDOers
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 69 Print
Author Topic: Competition results of PDOers  (Read 54899 times)
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »

heh, I kinda skipped straight from my 4 lesson introductory package straight to advanced bronze.  Smiley  well, the advanced bronze syllabus, starting wiht pattern 1, of course.  Still only on #6 almost 3 years later.  But I certainly agree not to move up too fast, as you see from the 3 year part.  Just recently had coach tell me I should move up to silver on waltz/foxtrot, and only reason I'm even considering that is because I want to change over to continuity.  Smiley
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »

Yeah, I've gone through most of the social bronze steps at one time or another even though I'm working off the advanced syllabus.  Actually have social bronze 9 in my swing routine.  Smiley

And I like to pull out the double crossover breaks in cha occasionally if I think one of the pros isn't paying attention to my lead.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:05:25 PM by etp777 » Logged
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2009, 09:50:25 PM »

Congrats Lioness!

Hmm...I agree with not moving up the rank TOO fast, but I think the standards of Bronze & Silver in Australia is quite different to that of USA.

I think Lioness is more than ready to move up to Silver at Crown next year. (Actually since you did Bronze at Crown this year, by rule, you have to be dancing at least Silver next year. In your case, since you are from interstate, they won't remember you, so they can't do much. I've seen couples getting disqualified because they stay in bronze for too long.)

I've been in level 2 for two years now and quite happy to stay where I am for a bit longer.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »

oh, I don't think any of us were saying that she and her partner personally shouldn't move up.  THink we were giving more general advice, not to rush.

The typical older friend/family looking out for the kids.  Wink
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »

Also just to add a bit more, I think in USA medallist do all 5 dances. Here in Australia you only do 1 dance if you are a medallist, even in gold.
After medallist, you become registered as a Level 1 competitor, and you also only do 1 dance. Once you progress to level 2, you start to do 2 dances, and so forth with level 3, 4 & 5. You only get to do all 5 when you get to level 5 (Which can take a good 5-10 years to get there) .
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2009, 10:37:52 PM »

9 is the sugar foot swivels.  At least, that's one I meant.  Just a fun little step. 

I know last comp when i was workign out routines was trying to stick with 3-5, most advanced steps  I knew.  this time, I have a lot more basic steps.  Decided I was more concerned with steps that are most fun, most exemplary of dance, steps I do best, etc, rather than most "advanced".  So I have a lot more baisc steps, and social bronze stuff.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2009, 11:54:17 PM »

the worst thing is to skip levels. i saw a lot of couples doing that, and they never succeeded.  Wink   i have a couple in the studio whom started to dance in another studio, and they started to learn advanced bronze (we in FADS have basic, social foundations, social bronze, advance bronze, dance sport bronze, silver .....) and skipped social bronze.

I completely agree.  I've known several dancers who started with silver and never did bronze at all.  Not only were they crummy dancers, inevitably they all thought they were a lot better than they actually were.   Angry
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2009, 10:19:53 AM »

Heh, to be fair, I know dancers who've taken time to go through all of bronze before moving to silver, and somehow still can't do things like a right turn in waltz.  Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »

...but can anyone actually do a perfect right turn in waltz?  Maybe in a car but in waltz??  Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2009, 03:33:17 PM »

Perfect, no, but I can't do anything perfectly.  Smiley  can do a pretty good one though.  We have no choice, first pattern in bronze syllabus is right and left turns.  has 1/4 and 3/8 turns in both directions plus underarm turns.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2009, 07:50:03 PM »

wait a mo, are you guys talking steps as in 'the book' steps - natural turn' three step; fall away reverse etc or 'step' as in FADS - a sequence of 10 such steps...  just trying ot understand the conversation....

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2009, 08:33:23 PM »

thanks!  I think FADS is sometimes misunderstood - certainly by me Roll Eyes

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »

...but can anyone actually do a perfect right turn in waltz?  Maybe in a car but in waltz??  Wink

Apparently I'm still having difficulties differentiating between my left and my right...throw in the lady's left and her right...and I'm set for disaster.  Shocked
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2009, 04:51:32 AM »

don't.  only use yours.  eventually the woman gets programmed to go right on a left call and left on a right.  We already go backward when someone says forwards and vice versa.

I only wonder what would happen if someone said 'jump'...

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2009, 08:15:50 AM »

don't.  only use yours.  eventually the woman gets programmed to go right on a left call and left on a right.  We already go backward when someone says forwards and vice versa.

I teach bronze & silver class at Uni, so I kind of need to know their steps to show them first.   Huh
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 69 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: