partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:11:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Competition results of PDOers
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 68 Print
Author Topic: Competition results of PDOers  (Read 54407 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #930 on: June 11, 2012, 07:19:27 AM »

Hi all now that I am back I can right somethigns about our dancing. I know I could blog but I will do a fewentries here about the different comps that we have attending during our trip away.

first comp was Luxmborg.

My first experience of travelling to Luxembrog, we drove there from Holland and it took almost 5 hours and then having to find the hotel and venue. but it was a very restful city did not seem over busy or complicated.

The venue for the comp was a large Sports Hall attached to a school, which seems to be a common theme for WDSF events.

this comp was done mostly (95%) in French and I was slightly anxious that we would not know when we would need to go on the floor. we managed to find a few couples with limited english that could assist us with the way the comp worked.

We were doing both Seniors II and Seniors III as this comp and the difference we found was that you would be in a different heat for each style of dance. so Waltz might be Heat 1 and Tango heat 2 and so on, so you have to keep your wits about you.

We took to the floor with not much practice at all, as we had found it very difficult to find a venue where we could practice during our travels. so the leading and following was not optimal and once off the floor from doing the waltz with 15 couples at a time. Seniors II was first and we were having a discussion about the waltz and I realised that we should have been on the floor for the Tango. Drats those change of heats. With the Language difficulties we did not go to  explain. so we would write that one off to experience.

We managed to muddle our way through the next dances and felt that our VW went quite well considering we hardly spend any time on the dance at all.

there was only about a 60 minute break while Latin heats were on for Adults (no Standard) and then it was on the floor again for Seniors III, most of the same couples were on the floor again.

We got the heats ironed out and felt a bit better.

checking the board to see if we got back in we saw that we had be posted to the repercharge for both Seniors II and three so we had to do the same thing all over again, only two couples from the Repercharge3 would go through. Which we did not.

So this gave us an opportunity to watch the finals in the evening. All done in French!

The Italians were very dominant as were the German couples, I got the feeling these couples were regulars in these events and a couple I thought were pretty ordinary as dancers where as others were just brilliant.

enough to inspire us that we have to try harder and find some where to practice!

In the end we finished 21 out of 30 for Seniors II

and 27 and of 27 ( but we knew there were more couples that are not listed in the results) I thought there were 40 for Seniors III

I will tell about Blackpool next

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #931 on: June 11, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »

Blackpool

After Luxembourg we were back in Holland and had some lessons with Sylivia Van de Geldre who’s pedigree comes from the Stephen Hillier Lineage.

she wanted to change a few of our routines but in the end we opted for not doing the new bits that we could not remember, we have written them down and will try to incorporate them  during our training now that we are back.

We managed to find a practice evening in Holland before leaving and they charge 5euro per person to train, floor space is not big there and you have to break up your routines, to maintain the size of steps that we have been encourage to do.

We go to the UK and again was overwhelmed with the way travel moves through the streets, here if you travel 27 KM it would take you about 27 minutes to do that distance. There that takes an one or in peak traffic at least 1.5 hours.

We managed to get to a practice session at cheams and that was certainly an experience. there were so many couples that they had to divide everyone into heats total of four. and about 15 couples on the floor  (which was again small for that amount of couples). Lots of Asian couples they had a huge presence at Blackpool this year.

There were all these youngsters going round he floor like a new Ferrari and I felt like an on ford  :-/ but we did do all styles at least twice so it was good to get on the floor before Blackpool.

we left our friends place and drove to Blackpool with a stop along the way took 6 hours, traffic on the highway was very slow, I have come to the conclusion that traffic does not move quickly on that side of the world.

We arrived Thursday afternoon and prepared ourselves for the big day and arrived at the venue with plenty of time,  we go to have a couple of spins on the floor to see how our routines would work, even with about 80 couples on the floor.

We found out there were nine heats and we were in heat two for everything so that was lovely, makes life a bit simpler!

so the time had come that it was our turn on the floor, I felt very calm and the nerves were well under control. I had new shoes and did not have a fear of the floor, it was a perfect speed.

We go through most of our rounds without too much trouble there were a few impromptu changes that I did not follow all that well :-/

but we were happy with our performance overall,. we did not get a recall from the first round but on checking the results we  only missed out by 6 marks to get to the next round,

Seniors at Blackpool is for the young there were  no over 50 Seniors in the Finals I think that most of them would have been between 35-42.

I have heard that they are thinking about dividing the Seniors competition and I think that would be a good thing.
In the end we finished 146 out of 210, I thought there were only 198 couples but I have been informed by others that there were 210. So either way we were very happy with our results for a first Blackpool.

I will talk about the Professional and adult finals later

Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #932 on: June 11, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »

Paris Open

We danced on the Friday in Blackpool and then proceeded to get ourselves ready to travel to Paris and dance on the Monday, The wether had increased to be quite warms which was lovely but travelling on budget airlines is quite taxing :-/ (for another day),

We got to the Venue which again was a Sports Hall, this was day three of the comp, so the amount of spectators was low, also the venue was split between youngsters in one room for Latin and Seniors II in another. It was then later joined by Adult Standard Dancers.

what was interesting about this comp the number of Seniors II couples that were also dancing in the Adult section. So they were on and off the floor so often. Again the heats were random,

the main issue of this day was the heat, it would have been 37c degrees in that venue which is a strain on concentration. Felt the dancing went well, V was very unwell and managed to keep it together.

Again we went to the repercharge round and when the results came up with were 34 out of 49.

We tried very hard to implement the changes that were asked of us during our lessons and to up the anty and I felt our improvement in our results are a testament to this.

I see there is a very clear divide happening in dancing and will discuss this in another thread.

but the Experience in Europe has been an eye opener and very enjoyable one that I am so happy to have experience.

Our final comp was back in Australia and I will report on that also.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #933 on: June 11, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »

Blackpool

In the end we finished 146 out of 210, I thought there were only 198 couples but I have been informed by others that there were 210. So either way we were very happy with our results for a first Blackpool.

According to DSI you were tied (one other) 148/172 - were there couples that they missed???
http://dancesportinfo.net/Competition/Blackpool_Dance_Festival_2012_16016/Senior_Ballroom_188385/Results.aspx

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #934 on: June 12, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »

Wow, quite the amazing time Q.  Sounds like you had a great time and gained a lot of experience too. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #935 on: June 12, 2012, 06:05:49 AM »

Blackpool

According to DSI you were tied (one other) 148/172 - were there couples that they missed???
http://dancesportinfo.net/Competition/Blackpool_Dance_Festival_2012_16016/Senior_Ballroom_188385/Results.aspx

I beleive this is the case....I have friends you advised me that there were 210 couples  the same happend for the comp ion Luxemburg where is says we were 27 out of 27 when we know we counted more couples in the event, so I dont know how that happens or who is correct

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #936 on: June 12, 2012, 08:06:04 AM »

Blackpool

I beleive this is the case....I have friends you advised me that there were 210 couples  the same happend for the comp ion Luxemburg where is says we were 27 out of 27 when we know we counted more couples in the event, so I dont know how that happens or who is correct
I think you should queery DSI - it makes their stats rather questionable...  Also, look at the official site - that HAS to have all the couples on it.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #937 on: June 27, 2012, 03:14:03 AM »

Dance at the NCDC (National Capital Dancesport Championships) it is there 20 year and numbers on the seniors side have remained steady this year there were 49 couples in both the Modern and New Vogue Sections.

there were four rounds in total and we made it to our first final in the Modern style and just missing out in 8th position to the final of the new Vogue.

For some reason over the week-end everything fell into place all those lessons and training and it just flowed effortlessly.  V said it was the lightest I have ever danced but i feel that the wing he provided allowed me the opportunity to do what I had to do. and the results were that as I mentioned we made our first ever final and end 7th and only two points divided 5,6,7.

New Vogue was also a good result up from last year so we are heading in the right direction.

Very Happy

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #938 on: June 27, 2012, 06:08:36 AM »

Congrats Q - back on your winning ways.  Do you feel the European trip changed you as dancers?

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #939 on: June 27, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »

Congrats Q - back on your winning ways.  Do you feel the European trip changed you as dancers?

yes it has made a huge difference and being able to observe the best of the best, helps you to know what it is you are meant to be doing yourself.

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #940 on: July 03, 2012, 12:28:30 AM »

It is always nice to have something that re-invigorates your dancing.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #941 on: July 10, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »

People say it looks good but I see photos and am not happy with how it looks… now that we are in the top level we have to do much better to be competitive otherwise it will always just be first rounds and then out!.

Thats the problem with Masters event in Australia the skill gap between level 4 and Open is huge !

I mean it is relatively easy to get to level 5 but then u r stuck down the bottom of the ladder forever !
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #942 on: July 11, 2012, 04:56:34 AM »

People say it looks good but I see photos and am not happy with how it looks… now that we are in the top level we have to do much better to be competitive otherwise it will always just be first rounds and then out!.

Thats the problem with Masters event in Australia the skill gap between level 4 and Open is huge !

I mean it is relatively easy to get to level 5 but then u r stuck down the bottom of the ladder forever !

yes it is a lot of work to get to the position of being competitive, but we got in a final in Canberra so we were happy, only to have someone say to me, well depends on who was there!  Undecided ouch. but out of the ones that were there we got to a final.... Grin

Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #943 on: February 09, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »

Well we have had ournext co petition in Europe and it has not gone smoothly. You  can tell we have lost that comp experience. Wd are not gelling as a couple. V has just improvised most of the routines which has thrown me right off kilter. I know it should not. We have not been able to manouvre around the floor as we would usually do.  Did not get out of first round. :-/.
Tomorrow is masters two. So we will see if it goes better, it did last week.
Changing of heats has been problomatic and when everything is done in Italian you have to rely on your wits.
If the knees holds up, and with a few more comps we can be more competitive next year Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:53:43 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #944 on: February 09, 2013, 04:04:55 PM »

Well we have had ournext co petition in Europe and it has not gone smoothly. You  can tell we have lost that comp experience. Wd are not gelling as a couple. V has just improvised most of the routines which has thrown me right off kilter. I know it should not. We have not been able to manouvre around the floor as we would usually do.  Did not get out of first round. :-/.
Tomorrow is masters two. So we will see if it goes better, it did last week.
Changing of heats has been problomatic and when everything is done in Italian you have to rely on your wits.
If the knees holds up, and with a few more comps we can be more competitive next year Cheesy

Its all experience - the main thing is to enjoy it whatever happens.  Don't take it too seriously - you're in europe, touring, havine experiences and dancing.  Let the rest take care of itself.

Good luck with the Masters II - but plan on just enjoying your dancing, not competing with it. Wink

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 68 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: