partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 05:25:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116403 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  How many lessons do you need?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: How many lessons do you need?  (Read 2580 times)
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »

We have 1 hour lesson a week.  One week we do NV and the next week we do standard.  Its all we are prepared to pay.  Grin mm
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:41 AM »

we just discussed this after our comp - to advance at this stage I think we need more lessons.  DP agreed and we will take one private a week and also go to a supervised practise evening...

Supervised practice evenings sound like a really great idea.  We don't have them over here.

My practice/lesson varies enormously anything from 1 - 4hrs.  If I'm not focused I just end up practicing bad habits that I am trying to break  Roll Eyes

Dance like you're going to fall over
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 06:17:57 AM »

yes I worry about that too, having unsupervised practices...as I think you can reinforce bad habits, but that is the advantage when having regular lesson, so they can pick it up quicker.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »

we just discussed this after our comp - to advance at this stage I think we need more lessons.  DP agreed and we will take one private a week and also go to a supervised practise evening...

Supervised practice evenings sound like a really great idea.  We don't have them over here.

My practice/lesson varies enormously anything from 1 - 4hrs.  If I'm not focused I just end up practicing bad habits that I am trying to break  Roll Eyes
Its still movement and helps many ways such as improving your ballance and coordination so its still beneficial...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 06:43:13 AM »

I find my focus can drop, sometimes I need a break for 5-10 minutes and then go back to it...

Dance Forum
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »

As many as possible, I think...... Roll Eyes
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »

As many as affordable for me.  Tongue
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »

As many as affordable for me.  Tongue

The same thing said in a different way.  Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »

yes, and she didn't even do pro-am Smiley

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »

good partners are hard to find... so maybe there would be another aveune... We have the two privates and one group...which is part of a social....at the moment it is enough as we then go and practice what we learnt in the lesson...but down the track when we have two incomes who knows, the more the merrier I say  Tongue

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 11:39:54 AM »

[all the posts pertaining to what you do for a lesson have been moved to 'For a lesson I ...' now in the same board as this one

Please keep the topics on topic Wink]

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »

good partners are hard to find... so maybe there would be another aveune... We have the two privates and one group...which is part of a social....at the moment it is enough as we then go and practice what we learnt in the lesson...but down the track when we have two incomes who knows, the more the merrier I say  Tongue

Which begs the question.  Is there such a thing as too many lessons?  A point of diminishing return?

What think you?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »

Which begs the question.  Is there such a thing as too many lessons?  A point of diminishing return?

What think you?
pro-am - no, since each lesson doubles as practise.  AM yes because the couple has to absorb - together - what they learned from the previous one.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 03:04:06 AM »

Interesting.  I'll have to think about my answer to that.

At one point, I was taking 5 - 6 lessons a week (pro-am)  I'm truthfully not sure that I progressed any faster than I would have if I'd taken, say, three or four or maybe even two. It takes my body a certain amount of time to absorb new concepts,regardless. So, at least some days, those extra lessons really were just practice sessions. A hundred or more dollars an hour is awfully expensive for a glorified practice session,especially when it's something I could have (arguably should have) practiced on my own.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 05:37:48 AM »

we have two lessons a week. one for ballroom nd the other for new vogue, the rest of the week we practice what we learn in our lesson. I think that is enough. you must practice what you learn in your lessons, if you just have lessons I dont think that is good either.

I think it was written somewhere else that for every hour of lesson you need 2-3 hours of practice. we had a lesson on Monday and are going in shortly and practice  for an hour before our lesson tonight.

We are changing the styling in our NV  long ago we were never attempt such a thing with a comp four weeks away  now we make changes and implement them in a matter of weeks with practice.

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: