partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 09:30:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Amateur (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Senior Amateur competitors
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Senior Amateur competitors  (Read 3944 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 03:50:31 AM »

Funny you say that, DP and I were just talking about that on the weekend.  We noticed when we went up into Gold all of a sudden our value changed.  Everyone was nice and instructors went out of their way to say hi and so forth.  Being in Pre-Champ it is more apparent and now that we are beginning to do really well all of a sudden friends and well wishers are coming out of the wood work.  I told DP not to put to much stock into it though as it is not genuine but more for a purpose.  I went through this in Dressage when everyone wanted to know me and I got invited everywhere and was given stuff all the time and my opinions were gold.  When I had my right leg almost amputated in an accident I had to take two years to be able to walk again and so forth.  The doctors told me that I would never walk normal or ride again and when this got out all of my "friends" seemed to go and the invites and gifts dried up fast.  It taught me a lesson I have not forgotten and I will never let this attention go to my head.  It is more about what the people think they can get out of you rather than about you as a person.  Some want to use you, some want to ride your coattails and others look at you as a possible money maker for them.  Whatever reason the agenda behind it sad to say that it is usually not up front or totally true. 

One of the reason why I want to to be able to make it to Championship in Latin and Standard is to be able to finally realize a dream.  It is not so much about the winning at all but more that I have survived two major tragedies, have had the odds totally stacked against me but I was able to come back and accomplish my dream.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 05:20:04 AM »

Good advice - and it applies to the dance world I think more than most places because it really is about superficiality.   Thats actually one reason I love it - a stark contrast to my work life where memories are very long (many lifetimes), relationships are hard to create but last a lifetime and everything you do is taken very seriously indeed.  Dance is my alter-ego, transient superficial - everything that goes with fantasy dressing and fantasy behaviour.  Obviously it is not so for everyone - those who have their careers in dance must see it very differently and they live in an area where there are much longer term relationships (based, for example, on winning top competitions).  Still the glory of an amateur competition event at my level lasts little more than a few weeks at most.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »

It really is another world.  I remember after the competitions ywe would go from this real high to an after-comp crash, regardless of how we did but even more so if we did well.  It was like it was all over and now it was back to reality.  DP calls it a dance hangover.  Sadly I don't get it much anymore (don't know about my DP), I sure hope I will again some day, but mainly I hope our friends that are just starting out experience this as I think it is all part of this surreal world.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »

Funny - I'm the opposite!  I get a crash before the competition and feel fantastic after.  I think thats easier Cheesy

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 10:50:12 PM »

Yes there is an excitement after but it is the next day when you have to return to the regular life that you get that after comp, it's over with and now the real life starts crash.

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »

I definitely experienced the crash. Glad you shared about it because it explained how I was feeling earlier in the week. It's such a high and then..back to being the paint guy hahaha

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 02:15:31 AM »

I think  it must be  the rush of adrenaline that goes through your body and it has to dissapate I suppose it also depends on your results.....

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »

What are the levels?  Meaning how do seniors relate to adult relate to masters?  Different names for the same thing?  Starting at age 35?

Dona nobis pacem.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »

What are the levels?  Meaning how do seniors relate to adult relate to masters?  Different names for the same thing?  Starting at age 35?

I think they changed the name "masters" into "seniors" at some comps. Just to avoid the confusion people might have thinking masters are really really good dancers. I have also heard of the term grand master being used, sounds like they must be world champions, but it's for people aged over 70 or 80. So now they call it seniors I, II or III. 35 and over is seniors I, 55 and over is seniors II and not sure what seniors III is.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »

Isn't it rude calling a 35 year old a senior?  Roll Eyes
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »

Hey. I'm just asking. It looks like 35 is the cut-off.  Kind of interesting, when you consider the ages of some of the reigning champs.  They're in their thirties.  So they can stay in the top of the pro ranks until they lose or retire?  Is that how it works?

No judgment.  Just asking.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:47:25 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »

Yup 35 is the cutoff here too - but its an international division.  From the perspective of a 20yr old 35 is senoir.
I think Master's has come to mean over 50 now. 

Of course in pro-am its all different because the bulk of hte competitors are over 35 so 'senior' is over 60 Smiley 

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »

Confusing.   So what level you enter depends on which competition you're in.  That stinks. Understanding the whole mess makes it look like ballroom competitions require a secret handshake. Yeesh.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2013, 09:08:53 PM »

Confusing.   So what level you enter depends on which competition you're in.  That stinks. Understanding the whole mess makes it look like ballroom competitions require a secret handshake. Yeesh.
but the age 35 is standard - and the other divisions are usually consistent for a region and a form (amateur or pro-am etc) so its not so bad

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »

35= old.  That sounds pretty bad to me. Just kidding!

Must be tough to be 50  or 60  something,though, since you're potentially competing against people 15 - 25 years younger than you.  It's like AARP or Colonial Penn** life insurance.  Once you're old, it doesn't matter; you're old. 35 = 59.  Old.

** AARP 50 years old or 100.  Same benefits.
Colonial Penn. 45 to 80. Same cost.  Just sayin.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: