partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 06:01:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Amateur (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Senior Amateur competitors
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Senior Amateur competitors  (Read 3843 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 04:42:41 AM »

Its the seniors that are the long term of dancesport.
Wait a mo, I think you may have already said this R..

But, did we talk about how the youngsters move on? Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 05:23:58 AM »

the people close to us don't feel like that, but I think the organisers of events do...they see the masters as a fill in... I remember at one comp after a masters event  He says " Well now for some serious dancing...we have the  Adult Latin..

We were not competing at that stage and I thought well that is rude. Roll Eyes

I see - and yes, that happens here too.  However, since we have pro-am that is definitely at the bottom of the pile and elevates the senior comps. 

However, in any case both IDSF and Blackpool have senior events - that in itself should be reason to take it seriously.  not to mention the fact that we are major contributors to the cost of the competition.  Here the coaches take pride in how their couples fare - its a status thing to have your couple rank highly so that helps to get us appreciated.

I'm surprized there was not a complaint lodged.  I think I would have...

yes if I was in the game back then I think I would have said something...I was a mere spectator

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 05:26:01 AM »

yes, good dancing should  be appreciated regardless of age.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:17:26 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »

You agree with Q then? Cheesy Tongue

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 01:57:58 AM »

I think the senior I competition was one of the highlights of the last comp I was at - and it was amazing to be in it.  We did not make the cut but what a difference when you are part of a grand heat.  The other dancers suddenly treat you differently - the fact is before the heat no one knows just who is going to shine and they see each other so rarely (once or twice each 6 months or so here) that their competitors may well have transformed in the intervening period. 

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 07:33:57 AM »

Personally, I love seeing the Masters dance. Because while the youth and adult ballroom population are young and sprightly, the masters have experience and grace. Some younger competitors have it, but most are just beginning to develop into good competition dancers.

IMO, they are called 'Masters' for a reason.

And there's less couples on the floor, so they have more room do to their thing. Masters ballroom might have 5 or 6 couples, while adult ballroom has 20 or so.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »

We had two heats with over 15 couples - its a bit unusual but they were larger than the adult standard heats! 

Must say I also love to watch the youngsters with thier boundless energy and lightning fast moves - but it depends on the dance.  QS, the younger the better whereas foxtrot, its for our set!

[good luck with the last exams!]

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 08:56:15 AM »

[I'm all finished...English was today and it was my last one]

I think it depends on the comp and where you are. At small local comps, there aren't very many masters. At some of the larger comps, there are tons. But compared to adults, there are significantly less.

And it does depend on the dance. Like you, I agree that QS does suit younger people, though I've seen excellent quicksteps from seniors. I'm stuck in the mindset that latin more suits the young ones (I'm talking like I'm older than them...hah), while standard is for the oldies (Tongue), while New Vogue is for both.

Having said all that, everyone can dance whatever they want, as long as they're enjoying. If they're enjoying it, I probably will too, regardless of whether it's the 'right' style for them.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »

[I'm all finished...English was today and it was my last one]
[great!]

.......I'm stuck in the mindset that latin more suits the young ones (I'm talking like I'm older than them...hah), while standard is for the oldies (Tongue), while New Vogue is for both......

I like that... rings true

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »

But then again, just for fun, I prefer standard over most Latin and New Vogue. Samba is my exception (I loooooove it), and Rumba comes pretty close. But nothing really beats a good VW to stunningly beautiful classical music. New Vogue is fun too, but it depends on the dance. Barclay, Swing Waltz (no, not you Tongue), Lucille Waltz, La Bomba all come above the other Latin dances.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 11:56:32 AM »

Just had a thought though...wonder if it has anything to do with the perceived emotions within the dances. Latin is flirty and unabashedly sexy and, IMO, sort of about the individual, while standard is more mellow, classy, and passionate, and highlights the joy of the partnership as a whole. Because while latin definitely showcases the partnership, it also really shows what each individual brings to the partnership and the dance. Standard focuses on the couple as one entity, and showcases the harmony in dancing together. I guess they sort of match up to the aforementioned 'preferred' age categories.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 12:01:53 PM »

....Swing Waltz......
speaking of, he's not been around for a while...

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 12:04:13 PM »

Hmmm...I shall facebook him.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »

I was at one of the studios I go to and I was watching the kids (mid to late teens) getting ready for competitions.  This studio is mainly a kids, teens studio and as I was looking at them I was wondering of the 12 couples if even 3 or 4 would still be around in 2 years.  I doubt it.  They come and go, especially when they leave high school.  On the other hand at the other studio I go to ( they don't have kids but cater to adults) I looked around and saw adults in their late 40's and up who after all these years are still out there competing.  I went back and looked through all the competitions over the last year and Sr. 1 is the biggest category.  At the last 3 or 4 competitions my DP and I have been the only ones in Adult Pre-Champ and there are only a few in Champ.  I noticed that even in Gold it is lean for Adult.  Hope the comp organizers realize where their bread and butter is being made.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 02:41:17 PM »

... yes and the rather ominous sign for the future.  If there are no gold couples whats going to happen to the championship ones?

I've noticed that competition organizers are very nice to us of late - seems after moving up from syllabus you enter a new environment.   It was very evident at Montreal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: