partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 04:47:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Ontario Open
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ontario Open  (Read 1154 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: September 27, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »

October 24th,2009
The 2009 Ontario Open Amateur Championships
Rameses Shrine Banquet Hall, 3100 Keele Street, North York, Ontario
Contact: Andrew Wajzer Tel: 905-827-4202, entertainment@ontariodancesport.com
http://www.ontariodancesport.com/2009/index.html

Amateur only competition.

We'll be there, anyone else?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »

If all is well and I can dance it then we will be there.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:19:58 AM »

I will be there.  And the following weekend too, the Maple Leaf Classic.

I

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:22:57 AM »

we can do a 'same time next week' Cheesy

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »

This one, right?

http://www.dancesportinfo.net/Competition/Ontario_Open_2008_6263/Ontario_Open_Adult_III_Championship_Standard_52410/Results.aspx

We'll be at Northwest Regional at Seattle for the same weekend, Seattle Regional so far already quarter final so worth trip, maybe next time we'll go this one.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:11:35 AM »

Well, I was terrible! Ha! 

We came 2nd latin silver and 4th standard silver. First time losing in a competition. I'd tell you we came second in gold but it was out of a field of two so that doesn't really count, hehehe.

It was my new partner's first comp and she was great, showed up in some fantastic costumes.  She was violently ill the night before, nerves I think; you know, the all night in the bathroom kind.  So she was a bit drained for the event. But she did very well.

I let the side down somewhat, messed up in a few places, oh well. It happened the way I thought it might but I was pleased overall.  It was fun to be there, nice to see everyone and a pleasure to compete.  More good experience for later...

Next week Maple leaf with my other dance partner. And my old partner and I begin training on Monday and she wants to compete together in December. Not sure if that's enough time for her to learn the new routines, considering I'll be away for a couple of weeks, we'll see.

I'm off for a nice fall horseback ride among the leaves. What a wonderful world.  Have a great day all...

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 09:19:15 AM »

hey, it happens to all of us - and i love your attitude!  It takes time to build a reputation and even more important 'floor presence'.  We discuss dance steps and technique a lot here but spend less time on performacne - and I am now convinced that the latter is a much bigger part of dancesport than its usually given credit - at least on public forums such as this.  I take it you did not stay for the evening?  I don't remember seeing you there.  If you had you might not have felt so bad about your effort Shocked

We do have topics in the area but I think we may need a specific one to tie them all together - maybe we will pool them.

And I wish I could ride horses through the leaves, sounds a positively Austen thing to do on a day like today ....

Great news on the 'old' partner - I assume she has recovered from her med problems?  Seemed like that was the solution you really wanted...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »

BTW - I posted our results on the 'results of PDOers' topic and the nights excitement (why do these sort of things happen to me all the time??) in the Competition Stories topic. 

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »

My gracious partner and I did not compete in the Ontario open last week.  We attack the competitions by binge practicing for several days prior to the event and taking daily lessons to improve our technique. Alas only a few hours before dancing we worked for an hour on memorizing choreography and decided it wasnt worth the chance of forgetting sequences and thus having a bad performance. We are ready to go but need the final push of confidence to make it happen. Perhaps in November we will have our debut.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:14:22 PM »

We do this for fun CM - if it does not feel like fun, then wait till it does Smiley  You will know when its right.  I think we have made the opposite mistake: competing even when its not fun - the result is not pretty... Undecided  The only thing you have to watch I think is getting into a mindset where you set up too high expectations - lets face it, the first competition after a major change in style or level is going to be a bit rough (mine with pro certainly was Shocked).

Till then come and yell OUR number OK Cheesy

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »

Thanks ED thats good advice.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »

We are both perfectionists so are always working to get better and never feeling we have arrived enough to try.  We are never happy with what we are doing and are our worst critics.  All of our instructors and some of the judges that have seen us tell us that we are more than ready but we always want to achieve one more thing.  Right now as long as we have our choreo memorized fairly well then I am ready to go for it.  If you see me out there dancing alone or with a broom then you know the DP did not share my feelings.   Grin

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 10:41:36 PM »

I think the rest of us are just going to have to gang up on you both and drag you onto the floor without costume or even shoes.  Then you can get your first disaster out of the way and get on with winning your way out of pre-champ Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: