partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 01:09:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Steps you love
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Steps you love  (Read 2657 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »

Cobras! I love cobras.

Pivots are intoxicating.

Hover cross. Yum.

Cobra ey! I love the name! What exactly is it?  Roll Eyes

I'm finally enjoying my pivots! Intoxicating indeed.  Smiley
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 12:33:20 PM »

Cobra ey! I love the name! What exactly is it?  Roll Eyes

Cobra or Cobra's are an American style step (Tango Step). In International terms it is basically three Outside Swivels following after one another.

It was first introduced into the International style by Glenn Weiss and Maja Serve. I seem to remember the story goes that Glenn saw the step for the first time while teaching in New York and then danced often after that. They later taught it to Victor Fung and Tiffany Fung (I think or maybe it was Aira not sure now) and Nicolas Cotton and Maria Hansen.

It is now a fairly popular step through out the world.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 12:54:11 PM »

wow - what a great bit of history.  Do you have a source for that? Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
drj
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 01:20:37 PM »

Cobra or Cobra's are an American style step (Tango Step). In International terms it is basically three Outside Swivels following after one another.

It was first introduced into the International style by Glenn Weiss and Maja Serve. I seem to remember the story goes that Glenn saw the step for the first time while teaching in New York and then danced often after that. They later taught it to Victor Fung and Tiffany Fung (I think or maybe it was Aira not sure now) and Nicolas Cotton and Maria Hansen.

It is now a fairly popular step through out the world.

DSV

When I am led into them, the body contact must be very strong in order to get the most juice from them. And juicy they are. mmmmm, cobras. Cool

ancora imparo
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 02:05:27 PM »

Yes, I actually have the source. Smiley I had a lesson from the great Mr. Glenn Weiss, himself. Now this is many, many years ago. I did have to drag the information out of him but finally he spilled the beans. He is a very humble man and bragging is not what he is good at. It is wonderful to have a world champion that can be as down to earth as he is.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »

Yes, I actually have the source. Smiley I had a lesson from the great Mr. Glenn Weiss, himself. Now this is many, many years ago. I did have to drag the information out of him but finally he spilled the beans. He is a very humble man and bragging is not what he is good at. It is wonderful to have a world champion that can be as down to earth as he is.

I've met him - he is indeed charming - but I have yet to meet his long term competition partner...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 02:15:15 PM »

I've met him - he is indeed charming - but I have yet to meet his long term competition partner...

If you truly want to meet her then I am sure you will. She does travel to judge, teach and coach so I am sure one day you will meet her.

I have actually heard that she will be helping Rufus Dustin in a lecture at OSB. I am not 100% sure but it might be worth checking into.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 04:10:45 PM »

Then I'm there Smiley  Just hope it does not clash with any of my dance heats....

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »

ronde, slip pivot to a rolling contra check - it's a nice little sequence i had to make up because one of my routines that is danced in a floorshow/showdance type style got stuck in the opposite corner and we couldn't get out. I htink i want to change the slip pivot to something though, maybe soemthing like a slip pivot, ronde, pivot on that bck leg and then rolling contra check, don't know if it'll work for the lady yet...

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 08:26:03 PM »

ronde, slip pivot to a rolling contra check - it's a nice little sequence i had to make up because one of my routines that is danced in a floorshow/showdance type style got stuck in the opposite corner and we couldn't get out. I htink i want to change the slip pivot to something though, maybe soemthing like a slip pivot, ronde, pivot on that bck leg and then rolling contra check, don't know if it'll work for the lady yet...
Zac
(my bold)
minor detail Shocked Tongue

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 08:42:59 PM »

I think it will (hopefully) even if that means i must create steps for it work Tongue

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 08:50:38 PM »

can you get away with that? according to my pro (and I would love another inputon this) it may be called open but the judges still want to be able to recognize the figures...

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »

I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem having a variation of a step in a sequence. How do you think new steps were/are created, by people trying out new things Smiley

Zac

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 07:24:21 AM »

I agree - indeed I thought that was the whole point.  But what I'm learning now is that creativity appears to be the domain of just the dancing elite - if lower level dancers do it it is assumed they don't know what they are doing.  Sort of supports ABs doctrine that dancesport isn't dancing Grin 

I'm not sure about the above, its just one opinion that I've heard from someone who should know.  Perhaps one of our judges would comment...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »

I am really enjoying the silver bolero syllabus.  There's a step I can't remember the name of (it has one of those typical DVIDA excessively wordy names), but it begins with an open check, and the man leads the lady to execute a spiral turn to his right side.  They do a circular work for QQ, and then the man lunges to his right while leading the lady to execute a ronde which takes her around his right leg and behind him.  She walks behind him for QQ, and when she reaches his left side, he pivots to face her again.  They execute a mirror-image check to the man's left, and then it finishes with a lady doing a reverse spin on S.  Lots of subtleties in the lead for this one; it's a challenge, but very satisfying when done right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: